Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Procreate app for iOS was today updated to version 4.1, introducing several major new features that will enhance the drawing and art creation experience on the iPad.

A new Metal 2-powered Liquify feature lets artists push, pull, expand, pinch, and twirl their art using either touch-based gestures or Apple Pencil pressure for more control.

procreate4-800x600.jpg

The Symmetry Drawing Guide in Procreate 4.1 lets users mirror strokes as they paint, with customizations that include half, quadrant, or radial devision with both mirror and rotational modes. Symmetry can be used with any brush or paint tool, along with Liquify and ColorDrop for unique works of art.

A new Warp Transform mode offers 16 adjustable nodes and depth layering, and it can be used alongside the existing Freeform and Distort Transform modes, while a new Layer Select gesture option lets users select a layer by touching the layer's content.

The built-in Perspective tools in Procreate have been improved with 2D and Isometric Guides, offering more control over grid measurements. Drawing Assist also snaps lines to guides for faster, more precise sketches.

Other notable improvements include Brush Set import and export, a 30-second time-lapse export option, and a color invert option for layers.

Procreate 4.1 is a free update for existing users. New users can download Procreate from the App Store for $9.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Procreate for iPad Gains New Liquify Filter, Warp Transform Mode and Symmetry Drawing Guide

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
If they could just add a straight edge ruler like Sketchbook I can switch back occasionally. Really like the ability to rename layers, which Sketchbook doesn’t have.

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
All new features are great, but what makes this update awesome for me is the new advanced gestures. Layer select is great, for example - it really helps the workflow.

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
Love this app, but honestly, it needs smart objects and canvas resize before I can use it seriously.
I just make a bigger canvas and copy/paste over to that, for now.
[doublepost=1531390883][/doublepost]This is so great. Procreate is amazing.

The iPad just got a huge shot in it's arm for creatives.. Between Affinity Designer and this update. Wow. :D

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
ProCreate is one of the best apps I ever bought. even before this I felt like it was worth more than $10. If they were to go a vector app and/or a basic animation app (sort of like Rough Animator), I'd buy them in a heart beat. especially if they were similar pricing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.