[Project] Native OS X 10.5.8 on a G3

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Gamer9430, Sep 7, 2015.

1. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

@LightBulbFun (project master), @bunnspecial, @tevion5, @MacCubed, @iModFrenzy, @128keaton and I (all members of my MR iMessage Group Chat, along with @keremtezcan and @CYB3RBRITE) are all actively working on hacking Leopard 10.5.8 onto G3s. We are attempting to use the .kext files and kernal from the early OS X Leopard WWDC 2006 Preview (which could be run on a G3 natively) and combining them with the kexts from 10.5.8 to allow it to run on a G3.

So far, we have determined that Build 9A303 is (as far as we know) the last version to boot on a G3. Build 9A231 will boot almost to the login screen, but we're not sure if this is due to using an emulator (@LightBulbFun is a bit limited with his resources). We also know that by Build 9A466, G3 support was dropped.

That's all we have for now, and we'd always appreciate any help if anyone wants to join us. We will be updating this thread with any new breakthroughs we reach or any news on the project.

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

While this is a neat project, I do wonder what the purpose is in the long run? I doubt there are many G3s still being used daily, let alone any that would perform even decently with Leopard due to the GPU requirements. That being said, keep up the great work and I look forward to hearing more about it.

3. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

One of the things I look forward to is the fact that I could finally use my printer with my G3 Lombard.

4. LightBulbFun macrumors 6502a

LightBulbFun

same reason I got tiger working on a 603/604 CPU its for the people who want too regardless of how well it runs or how many are left (for example say some one has a Peforma 5500 and they want to run tiger... well before my kernel they could only run up to 10.2.8 now with my kernel they can run 10.4.11 and run some relatively modern apps heh)

5. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Wow, the thought of seeing Leopard's performance on one of those... or one of my iMac G3s...

I might install 10.4.11 on one, but even that I'm reluctant to do :)

6. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

If nothing else, I do at least-at the moment-have the 2006 WWDC preview running on a 900mhz iBook G3. I believe that this was the fastest G3 processor that Apple shipped.

The WWDC preview is interesting-it actually looks and feels a lot more like Tiger than Leopard. The flat, pinstriped dock along with the pinstriping in windows and the general finder layout are all there from Tiger, along with the same default desktop background. I only installed it a little bit earlier this evening, so didn't spend much time playing with it.

Also, Safari crashed every time I tried to launch it. I haven't tried TFF(I'll need to download the most recent G3 build and put it on a flash drive), but am not sure if it will run in the Beta or not.

7. ThisOldMacHead macrumors member

I'll fully concede that as a proof of concept, it's pretty neat... But the thought of actually running any version of X (especially Tiger) on my 5500 makes me cringe. Hell... Despite keeping it on a second partition, I don't even like running 9 on it. 8.5 is useable... 8.1 is even better.

8. tevion5 macrumors 68000

tevion5

You should look up GuttenPrint. I have got a brand new Samsung Printer working with Panther on my G3 iMac. It is incredible, I just connected the printer to the USB port on an Airport Express downstairs, and selected a generic PLC driver from the GuttenPrint package during setup. Works perfectly! They even have versions for OS 9, so I'll try it on my 8600 soon. Every OS X mac in my collection is now happily accessing a 2015 Samsung Laser Printer.

The driver that came with the printer CD said Leopard was required, but alas Panther is currently working without issue on these GuttenPrint drivers.

9. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

Thanks for that, I'll be sure to try it once I get home at 3:30

10. tevion5 macrumors 68000

tevion5

11. MonksMac macrumors 6502a

MonksMac

What a neat project. I've got a metric ton of different G3's (AIO, Tray-Load iMac, iBook, Wallstreet, Pismo...) that I'd be happy to test it with and provide bug reports if that's what you guys are looking for.