Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

devburke

Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
So I've still been using the last official release of QS, ß54, but with every update to apps and the OS it gets more and more broken. Can anyone tell me what the deal is with the ß5X branch? Should I be using that?

str1f3

macrumors 68000
Aug 24, 2008
I haven't been using the newer builds. I've stuck to ß54 3815 because I like the BezelHUD interface and its broken in the newer builds. It seems to work well with a couple of bugs. Shelf,clipboard, image manipulation, tagging, moving files, etc. seem to work fine.

devburke

Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
Do you know which version I should download? ß56a7 is the newest, but ß56a4 seems to also be just listed as Quicksilver, suggesting that it's the most up-to-date that's relatively stable.

str1f3

macrumors 68000
Aug 24, 2008
Try out the same version I'm using and see if it works for you. Here

The process is slightly different than usual but the plugins work and it's pretty quick. He has a few appearances there that are nice but I'd stay away from Silverflow.

devburke

Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
Try out the same version I'm using and see if it works for you. Here

The process is slightly different than usual but the plugins work and it's pretty quick. He has a few appearances there that are nice but I'd stay away from Silverflow.

I'm not sure I see what you're talking about. The only QS things I see there are interfaces.

str1f3

macrumors 68000
Aug 24, 2008
I'm not sure I see what you're talking about. The only QS things I see there are interfaces.

Look right after projects mentioning keyboardr and you see in bold Quicksilver Interfaces. Below that you'll see: You can grab the compatible QS version from: getqs.com

devburke

Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
Look right after projects mentioning keyboardr and you see in bold Quicksilver Interfaces. Below that you'll see: You can grab the compatible QS version from: getqs.com

Oh yeah, that's the version I'm currently using. But development there has been abandoned by the original dev and open sourced, continued now here, but the page here seems mostly meant for developers.

str1f3

macrumors 68000
Aug 24, 2008
Oh yeah, that's the version I'm currently using. But development there has been abandoned by the original dev and open sourced, continued now here, but the page here seems mostly meant for developers.

If the current version works for you, don't bother to update. From what I understand Quicksilver will work in Snow Leopard with a fresh install of the app. While I would like to see things like QuickLook, it will probably never come. Quicksilver, unfortunately, will eventually break with a new OS so enjoy it while it's still around.

EDIT: If you're looking for things to work like emailing w/o opening the app, that's been broken for years and I'm guessing it won't come back.

If you interested you could alway use Launchbar but is not as full featured as Quicksilver.

devburke

Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
If the current version works for you, don't bother to update. From what I understand Quicksilver will work in Snow Leopard with a fresh install of the app. While I would like to see things like QuickLook, it will probably never come. Quicksilver, unfortunately, will eventually break with a new OS so enjoy it while it's still around.

EDIT: If you're looking for things to work like emailing w/o opening the app, that's been broken for years and I'm guessing it won't come back.

If you interested you could alway use Launchbar but is not as full featured as Quicksilver.

Well supposedly the newer versions go to great lengths to clean up the code and reduce the memory it takes up. Also, I believe some of the broken plugins may be working again in newer versions. So basically I'm wondering if you or anyone can tell me which of the ß56 versions is considered relatively stable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.