Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ipsumlorem

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2015
Hi, I'm looking for RAM for my future iMac 27" but I can't get my head around the specs:

I wanted to order 16GB Corsair Vengeance RAM running at 1.5V but then I found this:

"1.5 Volt Vengeance SODIMM kits are designed for notebooks with a 2nd or 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i5 or Core i7 processor. [...]
If your notebook uses a 4th Generation Intel Core processor, you should use one of our 1.35 Volt Vengeance memory kits."

http://www.corsair.com/en/vengeance...laptop-memory-upgrade-kit-cmsx16gx3m2b2133c11

Unfortunately they don't make SODIMM RAM running at 1.35V. Skylake is Intels 6th Gen and most other RAM I found run at 1.35V. Is the voltage really that relevant? Are they going to work anyway? And by work I mean get the best out of my machine rather than working at all.

syndr0me

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2014
Hi, I'm looking for RAM for my future iMac 27" but I can't get my head around the specs:

I wanted to order 16GB Corsair Vengeance RAM running at 1.5V but then I found this:

"1.5 Volt Vengeance SODIMM kits are designed for notebooks with a 2nd or 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i5 or Core i7 processor. [...]
If your notebook uses a 4th Generation Intel Core processor, you should use one of our 1.35 Volt Vengeance memory kits."

http://www.corsair.com/en/vengeance...laptop-memory-upgrade-kit-cmsx16gx3m2b2133c11

Unfortunately they don't make SODIMM RAM running at 1.35V. Skylake is Intels 6th Gen and most other RAM I found run at 1.35V. Is the voltage really that relevant? Are they going to work anyway? And by work I mean get the best out of my machine rather than working at all.

Not sure anybody has a definitive answer yet, but most people I've seen are going with 1.35 or RAM that supports both. They say right on that page you linked to pick different RAM if your machine uses 1.35.

At least one person has confirmed this RAM works. It's 2133, CAS 11 and 1.35V. And less expensive.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=01N-01GF-00002

Sirmausalot

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2007

that is one thing you should make sure is correct -- the voltage. speed and timings, likely most are fine. but voltage (and physical size) are key.

ipsumlorem

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2015
It's strange – on Amazon it says the Corsair Vengeance RAM is designed for system powered at 1.35V:

"1.35V for better operation with the latest systems
The latest laptop and notebook systems based on 4th Generation Intel Core processors require DDR3L memory powered at 1.35V."​

It seems also the Crucial Ballistix Sport RAM are only optimized for 4th gen Intel processors:

"Optimized for the latest fourth-generation Intel® Core™ i5 and i7 mobile processors, Ballistix Sport SODIMMs deliver faster speeds, lower latencies, and increased efficiency compared to standard SODIMMs."

Sirmausalot

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2007
It's strange – on Amazon it says the Corsair Vengeance RAM is designed for system powered at 1.35V:

"1.35V for better operation with the latest systems
The latest laptop and notebook systems based on 4th Generation Intel Core processors require DDR3L memory powered at 1.35V."​

It seems also the Crucial Ballistix Sport RAM are only optimized for 4th gen Intel processors:

"Optimized for the latest fourth-generation Intel® Core™ i5 and i7 mobile processors, Ballistix Sport SODIMMs deliver faster speeds, lower latencies, and increased efficiency compared to standard SODIMMs."

I can confirm the Crucial Ballistic Sport works just fine and dandy. You are looking for SoDimms of 1.35 volts speed 1886 (or sometimes rounded to 1887) As for the last bit of what it's optimized for, it makes no difference. Although this ram is DDR3L (low for low voltage) it is not always labeled with the 'L' As long as it is 1.35 volts, you are good. 1.5 would be a mistake and it might not work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.