Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mizmellyjelly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2011
Hello Everyone. This is my first post on MacRumors and I apologize if the question's been asked before but I couldn't find a definite answer and wasn't sure where else to post....

But as the subject title states, I was wondering if I re-partition my MacBook Pro and then re-install Windows 7, will it accept the same product key? Or will I need a new key?

From what I've read, you can reinstall Windows 7 using the same product key as many times as you like if it's on the same machine, however does the same rule apply for partitioned Mac?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated guys :)

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2010
It will accept the same key. The only time it might goof on keys is if you change multiple pieces of hardware all at once, such as motherboard + processor + video card. Changes in RAM, hard disk, etc usually doesn't need the key to be refreshed. Repartitioning certainly will not need a new key.

johnhurley

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2011
Hello Everyone. This is my first post on MacRumors and I apologize if the question's been asked before but I couldn't find a definite answer and wasn't sure where else to post....

But as the subject title states, I was wondering if I re-partition my MacBook Pro and then re-install Windows 7, will it accept the same product key? Or will I need a new key?

At times windows will install but need to re-activate if it believes a hardware change has been made. Sometimes that works ( the re-activation ) automatically via internet connection sometimes one has to generate a string of characters and then use phone to get an authorization code generated from microsoft. Not hard to accomplish just a little funky.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.