Recording lectures on my MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by adamk77, Feb 3, 2009.

1. adamk77 macrumors 6502

Hello Everyone,

I recently started attending grad school and will be taking my MacBook Pro to the lectures. I think the built-in microphone will do a good job of picking up the audio because I'm in a pretty small classroom.

I tried two programs - Audacity and Adobe Soundbooth. Both work well as recorders but the problem is that they both use too much CPU. It woudln't be a problem if I had access to a power outlet, but I need to run it off of the battery.

Can anyone recommend a program to record my lectures that has a minimize cpu footprint?

Thank you in advance.

2. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Get QuickTime Pro if you haven't already got it, you can use the quicktime player to record audio (and video), just make sure you set the prefs to a nice low codec, AAC 128Kbps should be fine for speech.

Be aware that the fans kicking in will be noisy however.

3. cshen macrumors newbie

If you have ms office, you can try the note function.

4. adamk77 thread starter macrumors 6502

The fans will be kicking in because of the high CPU usage?

If so, won't that drain my battery?

The lecture are over 3 hours long.

5. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

No, they'll kick in if it gets too hot, battery power will help as the PSU ramps up the heat.

QT is a core process, it's footprint is small, however Analogue to digital conversion is a little hungry.

Best way to check is to leave it running for a while, see what happens.

At 3 hours you'd better make sure you use a lossy codec.

6. Patrick327 macrumors newbie

Just get a little Sony digital recorder. They're like $80 and can record several hours of audio (up to 12 I think). I just hit the record button, record the whole lecture, press stop, go home, connect it to my MacBook Pro via USB, drag the .mp3 file into iTunes, and label it. No CPU usage at all. Pretty decent quality recordings, too.

This is the one I have.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665363982

7. hacksaw-C87 macrumors regular

Make sure you get permission to record your lecture. I've been in lectures where the lecturer has actually asked the culprit to leave. Lots of stuff that lecturers talk about is the subject of their latest book/article so they don't want people to record their intellectual property without permission. Most are fine if you ask them first. Just a friendly bit of advice. :)

8. Alucardx03 macrumors 6502a

The few times I've had to record a lecture, I've just used Garageband. It worked very well, as the mic is very sensitive.

9. rhyx macrumors 6502

If you need 3 hours I'd be hoping you have a wall outlet.