Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tjcampbell

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
Vancouver
Hello, my 12" powerbook died a month ago and I have since been waiting for an update to buy a new computer. I was hoping to go for a MacBook but according to the banner on the uk refurb store, they are selling a 2ghz MBP for only £929 including shipping. I am assuming that this computer will be faster than any revisions the macbook has. In all honesty my 12" PB was zippy enough for me except for HD video where it failed miserably so I do want something that will properly hook up to my projector. Please let me know what you think! Cheers, Tom

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
well, this model would be a bit faster probably.

but not 100%. Also, i wouldnt worry about it, unless you need more video power. the update to MBP will likely have some upgrades. but if saving 10-15% means that much. don't wait and buy now.

if you can wait, hold out a week or two. why? cause new MBP may be on the way soon.

although the Core 2 Duo (merom) arent supposed to be much more than 5-7% faster than the Core Duo. just a nice lil performance boost. but not a major upgrade.

tjcampbell

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
Vancouver
wrong banner online!

So I decided to buy the advertised (banner on top of page next to ipod banner) £929 refurb MacBook Pro but I couldn't find the computer listed. I phoned apple and mentioned that they had a banner advertising the 2ghz model for £929 and they said that the banner was wrong and that they were never selling the 2.0 ghz at that price. That was it. They were real dicks about the whole thing. No other company would advertise a specific product at a price and then say, "oh, the commercial was wrong. Oops. Do you want it for £220 more?"
:mad:

cytefx

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2006
Spain
Spoke to them last night about this

Hi I called them last night aswell about the banner, its a 1.83 for that price, checked this morning and it was the same, but they had a different one 2.16 100gb 1gb ram, BT, AE, SD for £1244 inc vat, looked the same as the one for £1450, I could not see the difference so I called them, they said it was the same machine, but could be a older model (thought there was only one MBP thats why everybody is waiting for rev B (merom) :cool:

After I got off the phone with them I refreshed the page it was still there, about 1 hour later though it had dissapeared.

Whilst i was on the phone I asked about the new mbp and he officially nothing is comming out but unofficially there are a lot of rumors about the next 2 weeks. ;)

Foggy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2006
London, UK
cytefx said:
Whilst i was on the phone I asked about the new mbp and he officially nothing is comming out but unofficially there are a lot of rumors about the next 2 weeks. ;)

There have been a lot of rumours about the last 2 months!!!

I must admit trying to find that £929 machine myself too!!

Anyone know how long a 24hr to ship refurb should take to get to my door if ordered today?

tjcampbell

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
Vancouver
ship time

I ordered a nano with a 24hour ship time and I think I got in about five days. The trick is that "24 hour ship time" means that they will ship it within 24 hours. It doesn't mean that it will be there in 24hrs. Also, some advice. when ordering from apple make sure every single card detail matches up. If your address and the address of your Visa etc... has changed then they will accept the order but you will have to scan in your drivers license and all this other silly stuff. I guess it's a good thing, but they really are sticklers for this. I had an order delayed 3 days because of the discrepancy between Tom and Thomas. To them it's a different name. Hope this helps.
I really wanted that 2ghz £929 macbook pro! And yes... banner is still there. :confused:

Foggy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2006
London, UK
tjcampbell said:
I ordered a nano with a 24hour ship time and I think I got in about five days. The trick is that "24 hour ship time" means that they will ship it within 24 hours. It doesn't mean that it will be there in 24hrs.

5 days!!! But I am of the instant gratification generation!!!!!

berkleeboy210

macrumors 68000
Sep 2, 2004
Boston, Massachusetts
I was a little nervous about buying a refurb computer, - I've always bought new from Apple. - But I just couldn't pass up $1,699 for a 2ghz MBP. - I ordered on a Friday Night, it shipped on saturday out of california, and i received it on monday.

Machine was in great condition, screen was great free from scractches and things like that.

However, If you plan on selling the machine in the future, It does not come with the typical mac book pro packaging. It comes in a shipping box that says apple certified reconditioned product on the outside. When you open the box, you'll find two pieces of styrophome on the top and bottom, with the computer in a single piece of plastic in between them.

Besides the reselling of the machine in the future if you plan to that is.... that's the only problem I had with buying the refurb.... Otherwise I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

tjcampbell

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
Vancouver
instant grat!

I am the same. The second I order something I am checking the site for the status. Five minutes later I'm phoning them up freaking out cus it's still been processed. I want instantaneous live video of some guy taking the box of the shelf, printing my ship label on it then handing it off to courier guy. I then follow his van on my monitor right until the point I see him walking up to my door with my gear. I want all this and I want it faster than a f*ck*ng pizza! That's the age we are in buddy! In all honesty, if I can get it in the shop, I will get it in the shop. It's only refurb stuff etc... that I will order online. The process is just too painful. :)

Foggy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2006
London, UK
I never really sell computers, when I upgrade them I always find a use for the old one so I only keep the boxes until the machine is out of warranty.

tjcampbell

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
Vancouver
I am all for buying refurb products as they come with a warranty and look/are mint.
I did once get a refurb ipod that didn't work but I took it to the apple store the next day (even tho I bought it online) and there and then they gave me a new one. Sweeet!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.