Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dustinglodney

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
i want to put photos in folders and the remove them from my iPhoto so the only way to see them is to open a folder. Can someone help me figure out how to do this. Thanks.

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Once you've dragged them to the folder/s of your choice then just select them by clicking on them in iPhoto and press the delete key (which is located above the return key).
This will send them to the iPhoto trash which you will need to empty if you want to delete them from the iPhoto library.

Hope that helps.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Don't take this the wrong way, but why use iPhoto at all then? The whole idea of iPhoto is organize your photos. There are better free editors, and I don't you need iPhoto just to move images from a camera. The key to iPhoto is the use of keywords and smart albums. These will give you much more control over organizing your photos than a folder based system, plus give you a lot of other benefits as well.

mmagbee

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2009
Hrm. I agree with above. Why use it at all?

Now, there is a view feature on iPhoto to just view the photo's . So put all your pics in the folders then make your default view All photo's. Then if a folder is not selected, then it will not show any photo's. That is what I am gathering you wish to do right?

Just make a folder on your mac and kill the 500mb install of iphoto.

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Of course the default for iPhoto is to open when you attach a camera - thus people feel obliged to use it when they don't want too. I can't remember how to turn it off. I had to search for it somewhere.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.