Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple this week expanded the option to extend an expiring AppleCare+ plan for iPhone, iPad, or Apple Watch to additional countries, including France, Italy, and Spain.

applecare-products.jpg

Prior to now, extended AppleCare+ coverage options for iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch were limited to the United States, United Kingdom, Australia, Canada, Germany, and Japan. The three new countries have been added in an updated version of Apple's AppleCare+ support document.

In all eligible countries, if you paid upfront for an AppleCare+ plan for iPhone, iPad, or Apple Watch, you may be eligible to purchase new coverage that renews monthly.

Apple says that new coverage must be purchased within 30 days of when the original coverage ends, and customers can find out if they're eligible for extended coverage by going to mysupport.apple.com and following the on-screen instructions. The new coverage plan will automatically renew until it is canceled.

Except in places where local law requires it, Apple will not provide notifications that an AppleCare+ plan is about to expire, so customers must check themselves.

Apple has a separate renewal plan for customers in mainland China, who can pay annually for continued AppleCare+ coverage once their original plans expire.

AppleCare+ provides device coverage beyond the initial warranty period, plus it covers two incidents of accidental damage every 12 months, with customers paying a small deductible for repairs or replacements.

Update 7:10 p.m.: Based on Apple's support document, this article originally indicated that annual renewals of AppleCare+ for Mac were now available in Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Spain, the United Kingdom, and the United States. Apple has, however, updated its support document again to note that Mac renewals remain exclusive to the U.S., and this article has been revised accordingly.

Article Link: Renewable AppleCare+ Coverage Now Available in France, Italy, and Spain [Updated]

Last edited:
Reactions: TakeshimaIslands

MathersMahmood

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2016
England
This is great stuff. No one beats apple at this.

With my Fold 3 Samsung gave me their version for free for a year.

But it's handled by another company. So I don't have the option to get it after i purchase. I HAVE to select Samsung care as an option in checkout or nothing.

MathersMahmood

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2016
England
I'm genuinely interested - for people who always cover their Apple stuff with AppleCare, are you up or down on what you've paid out for it over the years compared to paying for any damages you've used it for? Or is it more a 'peace of mind' thing?
Peace of mind. When I have an iPhone and apple care I go caseless.

trifero

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2009
I'm genuinely interested - for people who always cover their Apple stuff with AppleCare, are you up or down on what you've paid out for it over the years compared to paying for any damages you've used it for? Or is it more a 'peace of mind' thing?
In my case, not a single product that I have not destroyed at least one time. Some of them, twice. ?

• Disagree
Reactions: phill85

Peepo

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2009
I am in Canada and my iPhone 11 Pro Max AC+ Expires December 2021. There is no option to renew on website, maybe I will see an option sooner within 30 days of the expiry date?

rembert

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2009
Amsterdam area, Netherlands
I only cover the most expensive stuff like a heavily spec'ed Macbook Pro as replacing it just is too expensive. Glad I did because my 16" MBP needed to have the screen and casing replaced. Without AppleCare that's pretty expensive.

trifero

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2009
I am in Canada and my iPhone 11 Pro Max AC+ Expires December 2021. There is no option to renew on website, maybe I will see an option sooner within 30 days of the expiry date?
In my case, less than 30 days. No option displayed.

Thisismattwade

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2020
Haven't made an AppleCare claim in a decade or so, and we've had a lot of Apple products since then, so definitely "down" ("out of the money", "in the hole"?). It's a peace of mind thing, and my wife demands it for her products. :)

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.

TheGeneralist

macrumors regular
May 1, 2020
It’s an insurance. The business model of an insurance always needs to work with a tendency towards "the house wins", at least for the big picture - that's the nature of an insurance, otherwise its commercial model just wouldn't work. If you protect a lot of your Apple devices - like we do - and you're not one of the unlucky persons who kind of drop all their stuff all the time, then over time you pay more than you receive. Not much more, but at least a little.
What makes it worth it either way in my opinion is how things are handeled if anything occurs - the consequences (in terms of money loss and being without your devices for certain time periods) are in that case just much easier to bear and there is just not so much hassle.
So more on the 'peace of mind' side - it's a convenience product from my point of view. You have to decide if it's worth it for you.

Reactions: fishmongerer

nothingtoseehere

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2020
OK, writing from Germany... Maybe my English is not sufficient, but the article says
Apple has also expanded the Mac coverage renewal option to all countries where extended AppleCare+ coverage is offered: Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Spain, the United Kingdom, and the United States.

The Apple support document from the provided link says:

„In Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Spain, the United Kingdom, and the United States​

• If you paid upfront for an AppleCare+ plan for your iPhone, iPad, or Apple Watch, you might be able to purchase new coverage that renews monthly.
  • In the United States, if you paid upfront for an AppleCare+ plan for your Mac, you might be able to purchase new coverage that renews annually.“
I would very much like to get the option to extend the coverage of Macs in Germany. But Macs are still not included?!

I‘m rather sure the misunderstanding is on my side. Maybe someone can tell me what I got wrong?

NATO

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2005
Northern Ireland
Once your original AppleCare expires the option will become available (for 30 days only) to buy a rolling monthly AppleCare plan

(I did this last year with my iPhone XR)

Reactions: trifero

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
Up. Way up.

c5z

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2021
My watch, iPhone, and HomePod all expire next week and none of them can renew. So I’m a bit confused about this.

based in US here.

c5z

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2021
It becomes an option AFTER it expires. you can check with Apple just to make sure but I’m sure that’s how it works.

this is kind of stupid. So what happens if mine expired today, and I drop it tomorrow. Do I just renew it and it’s covered even though it happened before renewal but after expiration?

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
Can't trust Apple Care anymore. I bought a second-hand Mac Mini 2018 for music production with the normal coverage still active. Apple Care remained unavailable for months. Now it's active again, my Mini isn't eligible anymore.

I never purchase extended warranties for anything. I update my iPhones and Apple Watches every two years so risk protection to damage ratio is low for me plus we have extended warranties here (purchase price is significantly more though). I have never had a tech theft due to being careful plus thieves know consequences of stealing an Apple product. I permanently water damaged an iPhone 6 and a Nokia 6.1 plus recently dropped my nearly three year old MBP. On rare occasions that I damage a product it is probably near the end of its lifetime for me and with something better available, I find this a valid reason to upgrade and negates the cost of extended warranties for myself. As Nokia smart phones are cheaper, my update cycles have been 8 to 18 months and resold on eBay with some possessing the OEM warranty like my Nokia 9 PureView.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.