Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chparigi

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 25, 2013
Switzerland, Europe
Hi all!

So I just noticed an annoying rattling sound from my Apple Watch Aluminum S2, especially when the Taptic Engine is running, e.g. with a timer. I bought the watch in September 2016 in Denmark (from Apples website), meaning I have 2 years if general consumer protection as guaranteed by law. Normally, a repair inside any other EU country would not be the biggest issue while in the 2 year period after buying the watch.

Now, I’m living in Switzerland, and it wouldn’t just be cumbersome, but also really stupid if I have to go back to Denmark to get my Watch repaired.

I have booked a Genius Bar appointment. But would Apple repair my watch here in Switzerland? If no, would there be a valid legal reason?

orourke

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2008
Hi all!

So I just noticed an annoying rattling sound from my Apple Watch Aluminum S2, especially when the Taptic Engine is running, e.g. with a timer. I bought the watch in September 2016 in Denmark (from Apples website), meaning I have 2 years if general consumer protection as guaranteed by law. Normally, a repair inside any other EU country would not be the biggest issue while in the 2 year period after buying the watch.

Now, I’m living in Switzerland, and it wouldn’t just be cumbersome, but also really stupid if I have to go back to Denmark to get my Watch repaired.

I have booked a Genius Bar appointment. But would Apple repair my watch here in Switzerland? If no, would there be a valid legal reason?

Should be no problem. Do you have apple care ? If so, you should have express replacement option (since they don't repair watches in store anyway), just use that organised on the phone. They ship you a new watch, you ship yours back in the box. Easy.

I've express replaced my Australian bought Apple Watch in Canada, no problem.

Edit; isn't read completely. You shouldn't expect consumer protection laws from another country to apply in the one that you're in. Sorry bud.

Chparigi

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 25, 2013
Switzerland, Europe
Should be no problem. Do you have apple care ? If so, you should have express replacement option (since they don't repair watches in store anyway), just use that organised on the phone. They ship you a new watch, you ship yours back in the box. Easy.

I've express replaced my Australian bought Apple Watch in Canada, no problem.

Edit; isn't read completely. You shouldn't expect consumer protection laws from another country to apply in the one that you're in. Sorry bud.

Thanks for a quick answer!

I agree that consumer protection is not automatically valid in another country. Both in Switzerland and Denmark it is two years. But still, it’s about how you interpret it. I have a Genius Bar Appointment for Friday, but I will try to get a walk in appointment today

Chparigi

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 25, 2013
Switzerland, Europe
I just wanted to give a quick update:

I took it by the Apple store, and they quickly noticed the same error with the watch.

The Apple store employe was a bit confused about the consumer law protection or “Gewährleistung” as they called it here. This was in general, not just because it was bought outside of Switzerland. He called over the manager, who gave permission to send it in under consumer law protection, no hesitation.

As a general thing after checking up on it: Switzerland is not part of the EEC (European economic area) but due to a lot of different bilateral agreements, I couldn’t fint any reason why a company would not repair your product the first two years after purchase.

I hope this can benefit others with the same situation here in Europe. I’m happy I bought my watch directly at Apple. Otherwise, they clearly wouldn’t accept it

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
As per European law, the 2nd year is only in the country of purchase. They made an exception for you.

Fabmac

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2017
I just wanted to give a quick update:

I took it by the Apple store, and they quickly noticed the same error with the watch.

The Apple store employe was a bit confused about the consumer law protection or “Gewährleistung” as they called it here. This was in general, not just because it was bought outside of Switzerland. He called over the manager, who gave permission to send it in under consumer law protection, no hesitation.

As a general thing after checking up on it: Switzerland is not part of the EEC (European economic area) but due to a lot of different bilateral agreements, I couldn’t fint any reason why a company would not repair your product the first two years after purchase.

I hope this can benefit others with the same situation here in Europe. I’m happy I bought my watch directly at Apple. Otherwise, they clearly wouldn’t accept it
I have seen Apple replacing phones not pucharsed directly at an Apple store so ...
but if you sleep better buy directly at apple

Chparigi

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 25, 2013
Switzerland, Europe
Unfortunately now, things are going in the wrong direction.

So I just looked up the repair status, and it says that error could not be reproduced. I mean, WTF!?? It was sooo clear, even for the guy in the Apple Store.

Another weird thing: according to their timeline, it was shipped off to service the 1st of June, examined and shipped back the same day. The repair center is in the Netherlands as far as i remember, so how it gets there in less than a day is a bit of a puzzle for me.

I really hope to get this sorted out quickly, but I mean, come on, this is a joke...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.