Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imac user 1221

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2014
My original hard drive was faulty and wouldnt boot. I researched everywhere and came to the conclusion my hard drive was defected after trying everything. So I went and bought a 1tb seagate hard drive I did the replacement everything went smooth. I knew it wasnt going to boot since the hard drive didnt have the os operating system. I still have original disk the computer came with when I turn computer on hold the option key it shows my disk but when I click on it it freezes stays on the page showing disk image for hours. If someone can help I will really appreciate it.

Ps: if it makes a difference when the harddrive died I had mac os x lion. Also when I start up mac it stays on white screen unless I use commands

DoctorZoidberg

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2014
Perharps you should obtain a .dmg copy of Lion (or Snow Leopard), make a bootable pendrive and try installing from it.
DVDs seems pretty unstable for loading OSs… a faulty drive, a faulty disk, or (worst scenario) a combination of both won't let you complete the installation process.
Good luck!

imac user 1221

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2014
I will try that as soon as possible so when I insert the usb and hold option my imac should see the usb I hope

imac user 1221

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2014
DoctorZoidberg do you think you can help me create a bootable pen drive of lion using a windows pc? Let me know if you can if not I'll just have to buy one online. If you can help me I would gladly appreciate it because I wouldn't have to spend extra money and won't have to wait for the shipping.

Gav Mack

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2008
Sagittarius A*
Replaced my imac mid 2010 21.5 HDD wont boot

DoctorZoidberg do you think you can help me create a bootable pen drive of lion using a windows pc? Let me know if you can if not I'll just have to buy one online. If you can help me I would gladly appreciate it because I wouldn't have to spend extra money and won't have to wait for the shipping.

Can't make the disk in Windows easily.

DiskmakerX the app does it for you, just have to have the OS X installer from the App Store in your applications folder from any other Mac just plug your 8gb USB drive, ideally a fast one at writes cos a slow one can take over half hour to make

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.