Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2016
In the UK, the Incase sleeves are available NOW!

Not a fan of the diamond pattern of the new sleeves at all. They look cheap IMHO.

There seems to be a plain sleeve but I am not sure whether this is the new model or the old model that Apple have included as compatible...

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Apr 6, 2011
Not a fan of the diamond pattern of the new sleeves at all. They look cheap IMHO.

There seems to be a plain sleeve but I am not sure whether this is the new model or the old model that Apple have included as compatible...

There are several available. I just ordered:
Incase 15" Ariaprene Classic Sleeve for MacBook Pro - Thunderbolt 3 Port (USB-C)/MacBook Pro - Thunderbolt 2 Port
£30 - http://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/HKX22ZM/A

Incase 15" Slim Sleeve with Diamond Ripstop for MacBook Pro - Thunderbolt 3 Port (USB-C)/MacBook Pro - Thunderbolt 2 Port
£40 - http://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/HKYX2ZM/A

Incase 15" ICON Sleeve with Diamond Ripstop for MacBook Pro - Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C)
£60 - http://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/HKZ72ZM/A

Plus this one, to try out:
Incase 15" Reform Collection Tensaerlite Brief Bag
£60 - http://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/HHTX2ZM/A

NOTE: the ICON sleeve is the only one designed for just the 2016 MBP, the others are also for the TB2 MBP.
[doublepost=1490789737][/doublepost]As usual these are quite pricey for what you're getting, especially the Icon one at a whopping £60 – same as the whole Reform bag, FFS!

And also, they seem to be removing the DOUBLE zips on the zip ones, which is a shame as you could zip them shut as you liked rather than having to zip to one side only. But not a massive problem.

Last edited:

Flaxh

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2016
The ICON sleeve looks awesome but 70€ is a bit too much. :/ Any videos or reviews? I can't find them.

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2016
Incase 15" Ariaprene Classic Sleeve for MacBook Pro - Thunderbolt 3 Port (USB-C)/MacBook Pro - Thunderbolt 2 Port

Incase 15" Slim Sleeve with Diamond Ripstop for MacBook Pro - Thunderbolt 3 Port (USB-C)/MacBook Pro - Thunderbolt 2 Port

Incase 15" ICON Sleeve with Diamond Ripstop for MacBook Pro - Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C)

NOTE: the ICON sleeve is the only one designed for just the 2016 MBP, the others are also for the TB2 MBP.
[doublepost=1490789737][/doublepost]As usual these are quite pricey for what you're getting, especially the Icon one at a whopping £60 – same as the whole Reform bag, FFS!

And also, they seem to be removing the DOUBLE zips on the zip ones, which is a shame as you could zip them shut as you liked rather than having to zip to one side only. But not a massive problem.

Thank you for highlighting the models for me but I think Incase have really dropped the ball here. These new models are not specifically designed for the 2016 MBPs (bar the Icon one) and so you just know that there will not be a snug fit. In addition I find the designs lazy - the diamond pattern effect makes the sleeves look like they are cheap and juvenile. Given the relatively steep prices across the board, this is inexcusable. I would rather save the money and purchase a premium leather sleeve.

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Apr 6, 2011
Thank you for highlighting the models for me but I think Incase have really dropped the ball here. These new models are not specifically designed for the 2016 MBPs (bar the Icon one) and so you just know that there will not be a snug fit. In addition I find the designs lazy - the diamond pattern effect makes the sleeves look like they are cheap and juvenile. Given the relatively steep prices across the board, this is inexcusable. I would rather save the money and purchase a premium leather sleeve.
Mine have apparently all arrived, so I'll try them tomorrow and check. I saw the 13" diamond pattern Icon and Slim in a store near where I currently am, and they actually quite slick rather than untasteful.

Flaxh

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2016
Mine have apparently all arrived, so I'll try them tomorrow and check. I saw the 13" diamond pattern Icon and Slim in a store near where I currently am, and they actually quite slick rather than untasteful.

Don't forget to post a detailed review of all the cases! :D With pictures

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Apr 6, 2011

Don't forget to post a detailed review of all the cases! :D With pictures

Naturally. :p

all sleeves + MBP 2016 15":
1.jpg
case packaging (fronts):
2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg
case packaging (backs):
6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg
"Classic"
9.jpg 10.jpg

cont...

Last edited:
Reactions: Flaxh

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Apr 6, 2011
"Slim"
11.jpg 12.jpg
"Icon"
13.jpg 14.jpg
"Classic" is way too big. -------------------------------- "Slim" fits nicely.
15.jpg 16.jpg
"Icon" is 98% good fit. -------------------------------- "Reform" MBP pocket is rubbish IMO.
17.jpg 18.jpg
"Reform" magnet is crap.
19.jpg

_________
Thoughts.

- "Classic": is being returned, as it's much too loose, and is clearly designed for the old TB2 MBP's rather than the new 2016 MBP's. Probably the best waterproofed, being neoprene, but crap fit makes it a no go.

- "Slim": this one I will likely keep (well it's a contender anyway), as it fits really well around the 2016 MBP's. The padding on the sides is pretty good, with the edging not as protective as the Icon's special material edging unfortunately, but I like the black felt interior and the diamond pattern outside is quite nice IMO.

- "Icon": this one fits pretty well, but is naturally very slightly looser to be able to easily slide the 2016 MBP into it, as it has a flap rather than a zip (so another contender for keeping). The protective 'Tensaerlite' edging is all around it, which I like, but padding on sides is (deliberately, seemingly) kept very slim for some reason (presumably so it looks svelte, or something). Again, black felt inside is nice, and the diamond pattern outer material is the same as the "Slim" above; pretty nice.

- "Reform": this bag is being returned, as the plastic-like shell pocket for the MBP to go into is much too big (again likely better for the previous model TB2 MBP's), with its magnet being pointless as it opens easily, the apparent protective 'Tensaerlite' in it feels pointless, and the bag feels rather flimsy in quality. The hand and neck straps are good though (comfortable), and the large front zip pocket isn't too bad for having lots of smaller pockets inside it.

So yes, "Slim" or "Icon" for me. I can be quite fussy, and if I thought they were crap fitting I'd definitely say so here. So you'll have to take my word for it, that I felt the MBP's fit for both these sleeves was good enough for everyday use, being pretty tight on both of them.

Now I just have to decide which to keep, or be naughty and keep both!

Last edited:

nickday

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2008
Manchester, UK
I got the ICON sleeve for my 13" 2016 MBP from Apple today - like others have said, there's no 2016-specific text on the packaging, and the laptop was quite loose inside. Not worth the cost if its not totally tailored to the shape of the laptop. Returning :(

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Apr 6, 2011
The 15-inch "Icon" one is pretty good. It only has circa 5mm of give in it, which is deliberate IMO to allow the MBP 2016 to fit into it, without having to squeeze it too hard.

On reflection, while I do like the Icon, I think at £60/$70 it's much too expensive for what it is. If it was more like £40 I'd give it more consideration, but at that price I think it's trading off of its protective edging gimmick rather too much.

So looks like the "Slim" is the one staying, even though I notice it has a bit more room near the zip than I first noticed, I like the diamond pattern, the zip feels a bit more secure than the Icon's magnet flap, and I prefer the better padding on the sides over the Icon's padded edging (put there to stop MBP corners/edges getting damaged if dropped), as it makes it more comfortable to hold/carry on it's own.

...I just need a laptop bag now to put the Slim into, haha!!

Reactions: Flaxh

Flaxh

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2016
omg awesome job! :eek:

The ICON looks like the best option for me as I'll carry the sleeve inside my backpack most of the time.

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX

Thanks for the analysis.

Personally, I stopped going to incase for bags after their messenger bag's strap broke and dented my old MacBook Pro 3 or 4 years ago. I like their sleeves and a few of their old backpacks but that's about it.

If you want something like that bag with the crappy magnet, I'd get the Zip brief or bolt brief from Waterfield Designs any day of the week.

Cassie2015

macrumors member
May 10, 2016
United States
Picked up this sleeve back in late February and it's pretty great, especially for $20. Would anyone like me to snap some pictures?

tomtoc's laptop sleeve is great, I got another sleeve for my 15inch macbook pro touch bar, this kind of sleeve design is very unique, the surface is like kind of cotton material, very smooth and soft

Tomtoc Laptop Sleeve for 13 Inch New MacBook Pro 2016 Touch Bar | 12.9 Inch iPad Pro,13 Inch Envelope Sleeve Carrying Case with Accessory Pouch, Gray
upload_2017-4-1_17-55-23.png

irisisi0920

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2017
Anyone with the iBlason Shell on the 15" touchbar have a good but not too expensive sleeve to recommend?
I got the below case for my laptop and it's very protective and nice, you can try it~
Tomtoc 360° Protective Sleeve for 15 Inch MacBook Pro Retina 2012-2015, Shockproof, Spill-Resistant 15 Inch Ultrabook Netbook Tablet Laptop Bag Case Cover, Gray

Reactions: dtrain035

ronaldcastillo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2009
Anyone owns the iGlaze (Moshi) or Dots (Incase) hardshell cases? Checked out the iBlason, but I'm not a huge fan of the vents underneath.

Winne_Pu

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2016
Germany
How do you like my new perfect fitting sleeve for my 15" MacBook Pro late 2016?

View attachment 676482

View attachment 676483

View attachment 676484

After using my self made sleeve for the last 5 months, I finally found a perfect fitting neoprene sleeve from Artwizz.
https://artwizz.com/de/l061/taschen/neoprene-sleeve/p051907

artwizz-neoprene-sleeve-schutzhuelle-fuer-macbook-pro-1526quot-2016-schwarz_z1.jpg artwizz-neoprene-sleeve-schutzhuelle-fuer-macbook-pro-1526quot-2016-schwarz_z2.jpg artwizz-neoprene-sleeve-schutzhuelle-fuer-macbook-pro-1526quot-2016-schwarz_z3.jpg artwizz-neoprene-sleeve-schutzhuelle-fuer-macbook-pro-1526quot-2016-schwarz_z4.jpg
artwizz-neoprene-sleeve-schutzhuelle-fuer-macbook-pro-1526quot-2016-titan_z1.jpg artwizz-neoprene-sleeve-schutzhuelle-fuer-macbook-pro-1526quot-2016-titan_z2.jpg artwizz-neoprene-sleeve-schutzhuelle-fuer-macbook-pro-1526quot-2016-titan_z3.jpg artwizz-neoprene-sleeve-schutzhuelle-fuer-macbook-pro-1526quot-2016-titan_z4.jpg

This sleeve is designed for the 15" 2016 Touchbar model, it fits perfectly well and it provides a very good zipper protection. I think this sleeve is a very good alternative to the Incase sleeves. If someone is interested in the fitting of this sleeve let me know and I will post some photos.

Last edited:
Reactions: jimthing

nameste

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2016
After using my self made sleeve for the last 5 months, I finally found a perfect fitting neoprene sleeve from Artwizz.
https://artwizz.com/de/l061/taschen/neoprene-sleeve/p051907

View attachment 695121 View attachment 695122 View attachment 695123 View attachment 695124
View attachment 695125 View attachment 695126 View attachment 695127 View attachment 695128

This sleeve is designed for the 15" 2016 Touchbar model, it fits perfectly well and it provides a very good zipper protection. I think this sleeve is a very good alternative to the Incase sleeves. If someone is interested in the fitting of this sleeve let me know and I will post some photos.
i really want to see

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.