Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 12, 2005
I will try to make this short and sweet.

I received my BTO 17" PowerBook earlier today. It is a BTO because I opted for the 100gb 7200rpm hard drive. I bought it 20 minutes after the Apple Store came back online last Wednesday, shortly after the new PowerBooks were announced. Needless to say, I have been tracking the order like a pair of cats eyes on a mouse.

Upon receiving my PowerBook, I took the birth pictures. Yeah, I know, a bit obssessive, but c'mon, this thing did cost an arm and a leg! ;) After it was done posing for me, I plugged her in to the power adapter and hit the magic button. *doooooooooooooooong*. Pure bliss. The white screen comes up with the grey apple logo. I start searching for dead pixels. Ouch, found one. I look for more. Ok, just one dead pixel. No big deal. Really.

After going thru the setup wizard, I reach my desktop which I will call home. Home has suddenly grown smaller compared to the last home I lived in which was a Rev. C 15" PowerBook. Wow, this is AMAZING! I quickly jump on the internet and open up Safari. Man, did I say this is AMAZING??? Well, it is! I really do feel like I am working on a 20" Apple Cinema Display. This thing puts my 17" Samsung LCD to shame. And I never thought I would say that.

The performance of this thing is unbelievable. I check the System Profiler and much to my surprise, Apple decided to hook me up with the Seagate Momentus 7200rpm hard drive. Nice! I was hoping I would get the Seagate instead of the Hitachi. Wish granted. This thing is super quiet...it's almost...too quiet...:cool:

One problem I did have though, which has now resolved itself, was the screen would flicker every so often. It might do it every minute or it might do it every 20 minutes. Totally random. It seemed to have something to do with the video card. I ended up rebooting the PowerBook, ran the quick hardware test from the cd, saw that everything had passed, and rebooted back to my home. No flickers since. Reboots usually fix things, right? hehe

Ok, I have to keep this is as a mini review so I will stop here. However, I will end with this statement:

If you have any doubts with buying a 17" PowerBook, do not fool yourself. This machine is a marvel. It really is. The build quality is exceptional. The 17" is screen is to die for. It blows the 15" out of the water. It's a little bit bigger than the 15", yes, but it is all worth it. Buy it now!

*** EDIT *** PowerBook birth pictures can be found here

****** EDIT ******

The video issue has seemed to return. I am using dialup right now, transferring mp3s from my iPod to my PowerBook thru the app Senuti. It seems like the video will jump or glitch about 2 inches from the bottom of the screen. Very random. It does for maybe a milisecond. Very fast. It was not doing it last night, but then, I was not using dialup either. Anyone else with a 17" tried using dialup and expierincing this problem?

Billicus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2002
Charles City, Iowa
I have a Rev B 17" PowerBook, I'd be interested to see some pictures of the new version with the HD screen on/off and a couple of screen shots if you could post them, please?

Thanks,

Billicus :)

Chef Medeski

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2005
New York, NY
Yeah, I would have defintely bought it if it hadn't cost three times as much as my puny 12". I personally would rather go for 2 PBs to get a 24" than one which costs more and has a measily 17" :D

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 12, 2005
one thing i have noticed is when my display goes to sleep, the light on the front of the powerbook lights up. it does not pulsate. when i wake the display, the light goes off. if i put the powerbook to sleep, the light pulsates like normal. is this a new feature that apple implemented so we would know our powerbooks are turned on and only the display is asleep?

anyone else seeing this?

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
Just a possible solution to your screen flicker... you may want to turn off automatic screen brightness adjustment in the system preferences under displays. I had that on a 15" powerbook I had for awhile and it drove me nuts... took me a bit to figure out that was the culprit. Once I turned it off I never had the problem again :) Congrats on the new system!

PICS PLEASE! ;)

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
tekmoe said:
one thing i have noticed is when my display goes to sleep, the light on the front of the powerbook lights up. it does not pulsate.

I, too, have seen this and it may be a new feature.

Billicus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2002
Charles City, Iowa
tekmoe said:
ok ok! check the end of the review up above. link is provided.

Thx for those, could you maybe post a couple of screenshots and pictures of the computer booted up? I can't get a good feel for the difference in resolution with just the boot up apple. ^^

Z6128

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2005
New Jersey
Congrats on your new PowerBook. i'm deciding between the 15in or 17in one right now :D is the 17in at least somewhat portable? hows the battery life on it too?

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 12, 2005
Z6128 said:
Congrats on your new PowerBook. i'm deciding between the 15in or 17in one right now :D is the 17in at least somewhat portable? hows the battery life on it too?

dude it is definitely portable, IMHO. my gf has a 12" pb, i had a 15" pb, and now i have this 17" pb. comparing this 17" to the 12" and 15", it IS portable. !!! believe me !!!

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 12, 2005
Billicus said:
Thx for those, could you maybe post a couple of screenshots and pictures of the computer booted up? I can't get a good feel for the difference in resolution with just the boot up apple. ^^

i will do this when i get home.

g0gie

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2005
tekmoe, im only gonna say this once so listen up! YOU ARE A LUCKY BASTAGE. that is all...

RHMMMM

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2005
Screen Flicker

I also have the new 17" Rev. E PowerBook and have seen the screen flicker issue. Let me make sure we're talking about the right thing:

On mine, it happens randomly also, I'm not sure I'd describe it as a flicker but as a "screen jump" - it looks like the screen shifts for a split-split second down to the lower right. Is this what you're seeing?

My hypothesis: it's a function of the new power savings either in the G4 or it might have something to do with the new chipset and it's interface/bus to the Radeon 9700 Mobility. But, I think it has something to do with the speed clock shifts from power savings.

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 12, 2005
RHMMMM said:
I also have the new 17" Rev. E PowerBook and have seen the screen flicker issue. Let me make sure we're talking about the right thing:

On mine, it happens randomly also, I'm not sure I'd describe it as a flicker but as a "screen jump" - it looks like the screen shifts for a split-split second down to the lower right. Is this what you're seeing?

My hypothesis: it's a function of the new power savings either in the G4 or it might have something to do with the new chipset and it's interface/bus to the Radeon 9700 Mobility. But, I think it has something to do with the speed clock shifts from power savings.

that sounds right...but it has not displayed this issue since i rebooted the powerbook, ran the hardware test, and booted back up. i've been using it for close to 4 hours now. haven't seen it happen once.

RHMMMM

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2005
tekmoe said:
that sounds right...but it has not displayed this issue since i rebooted the powerbook, ran the hardware test, and booted back up. i've been using it for close to 4 hours now. haven't seen it happen once.

Excellent, I'm glad I'm not the only one seeing it. It's not too annoying, but the first couple times I saw it, I was a little worried - got me thinking loose LCD connection, maybe?

I haven't seen mine do it at all today and I've been on it for a few hours too. Try running something really graphics intensive and then close it out - like a game. The last time I saw it happen a couple times was after I played WarCraft III at full 1680x1050 resolution for a couple hours, then quit the game. It did the screen jump/flicker right after I saw the Desktop

Sounds to me like something we'll just have to live with.

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
Thanks for the pics! But, now you are going to think I am a real pain. I would like to see the new screen, do you have any of those shots? By the way, I would call Apple in regards to the flicker.

Billicus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2002
Charles City, Iowa
nospleen said:
Thanks for the pics! But, now you are going to think I am a real pain. I would like to see the new screen, do you have any of those shots? By the way, I would call Apple in regards to the flicker.

I think he's already working on it, as per my request higher up. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.