Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Ionic is Fitbit's first real effort at a "true" smartwatch, and there's plenty riding on the $300 device. Not only is the activity tracker company late to the smartwatch game, its market share in wearables has shrunk because of increasingly sophisticated rival devices from the likes Apple and Xiaomi.

To have a hope of reviving its fortunes, Fitbit sought out a new creative direction and subsequently bought Pebble late last year. The wearable technology that Fitbit inherited as part of the acquisition now powers the new Ionic operating system, called Fitbit OS.

IMG_2578-800x576.jpg

Last month, app makers were supplied with an SDK to see what third-party apps they can come up with for the Ionic. In the meantime, I was interested to look at what Fitbit's smartwatch has to offer out of the box, and in particular, how it compares to its closest kin, the Fitbit Blaze.

Click here to read more...

Article Link: Review: Fitbit Ionic is a Decent Fitness Smartwatch Spoiled By Lingering Bugs

Rochy Bay

Suspended
Apr 5, 2016
Cupertino, CA
First of all, it would be fair to pair the watch with FitBit Flyer and NOT the airpods. Second, i think FitBit unlike Apple has a direction which is Fitness and Health. Apple watch is whatever, the software is a disaster. I paid $650 for mine and it was slugish, would loose bluetooth connection AND dropped it one time cracking the screen. Of course i did not Apple care so that thing is sitting inside the closet now. I am looking forward to try the ionic now.

The Ionic is Fitbit's first real effort at a "true" smartwatch, and there's plenty riding on the $300 device. Not only is the activity tracker company late to the smartwatch game, its market share in wearables has shrunk because of increasingly sophisticated rival devices from the likes Apple and Xiaomi.

To have a hope of reviving its fortunes, Fitbit sought out a new creative direction and subsequently bought Pebble late last year. The wearable technology that Fitbit inherited as part of the acquisition now powers the new Ionic operating system, called Fitbit OS.

IMG_2578-800x576.jpg

Last month, app makers were supplied with an SDK to see what third-party apps they can come up with for the Ionic. In the meantime, I was interested to look at what Fitbit's smartwatch has to offer out of the box, and in particular, how it compares to its closest kin, the Fitbit Blaze.

Click here to read more...

Article Link: Review: Fitbit Ionic is a Decent Fitness Smartwatch Spoiled By Lingering Bugs

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Apple watch is whatever, the software is a disaster. I paid $650 for mine and it was slugish, would loose bluetooth connection AND dropped it one time cracking the screen. Of course i did not Apple care so that thing is sitting inside the closet now. I am looking forward to try the ionic now.

The first generation Apple Watch suffered with speed, but the Series 3 easily rectified that with the faster dual core processor. Even series 2 was much improved with WatchOS 3.

But I'm not sure why you're even commenting that you dropped your Apple Watch, when that's your own fault. That's Not something to complain about or even related to the Apple Watch experience. That would be self-inflicted on your behalf.

But I find the Apple Watch more aesthetically pleasing, and at least it doesn't have the Fitbit logo plastered on the front of the display With those large bezels.

Ad13

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2015
Manchester, UK
It looks hideous and a complete eyesore. I’d be equally embarrassed wearing that as I was wearing my 80’s-looking Surge.

Goodbye Fitbit. Your arrogance, in not supporting Apple Health, was the final nail in your coffin. I, like many others, abandoned your feeble offerings when the Apple Watch became of age.

You reap what you sow! Please remember to switch off the lights on your way out...

Darkashnet

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2010
Why oh why did they feel the need to slap “Fitbit” on the front face? It makes the already relatively unattractive device look even worse.

Ad13

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2015
Manchester, UK
Why oh why did they feel the need to slap “Fitbit” on the front face? It makes the already relatively unattractive device look even worse.

Just to remind you that you’re an skin flint wearing an outdated piece of rubbish and not wearing an Apple Watch.

Rochy Bay

Suspended
Apr 5, 2016
Cupertino, CA
Perhaps you should issue your own guidelines about what can or cannot be posted or commented about ? I mentioned the glass as a direct impact part of the device. I hope you got AppleCare.. thats all !

In regards to the aesthetic design.... yeah big change on the 3 series. A red button crown LOL !

I am happy with mine in the closet and don’t miss it. The FitBit design to me is more sporty and original. Tired of seeing that Apple watch everywhere... but glad you can now make a phone call with it !? Lol

The first generation Apple Watch suffered with speed, but the Series 3 easily rectified that with the faster dual core processor. Even series 2 was much improved with WatchOS 3.

But I'm not sure why you're even commenting that you dropped your Apple Watch, when that's your own fault. That's Not something to complain about or even related to the Apple Watch experience. That would be self-inflicted on your behalf.

But I find the Apple Watch more aesthetically pleasing, and at least it doesn't have the Fitbit logo plastered on the front of the display With those large bezels.

Reactions: Cloudkicker

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
First of all, it would be fair to pair the watch with FitBit Flyer and NOT the airpods. Second, i think FitBit unlike Apple has a direction which is Fitness and Health. Apple watch is whatever, the software is a disaster. I paid $650 for mine and it was slugish, would loose bluetooth connection AND dropped it one time cracking the screen. Of course i did not Apple care so that thing is sitting inside the closet now. I am looking forward to try the ionic now.
AW3 is a lot faster than the first gen. I had the First Gen apple watch since release day and not only have I not cracked it, the screen is pristine, the battery life is still about a full day with normal usage. The only "damage" I got on mine is a light scuff to the anodized aluminum where I wacked my watch onto a corner of my car one time... it's not even noticeable unless I point it out as it isn't a gouge... just a "lighter spot" on the casing itself.

The AW has lasted me far longer than any Fitbit product I've owned. My Charge HR battery started crapping out within 6 months and my current 1 year old Alta can't go 2 days without a low battery warning and the Surge I owned had probably the worst product support I've ever seen on a product. The updates did nothing and the permanent band started to deteriorate after 8 months or so. They didn't care about keeping their users up to date on the latest features that could have easily been added via firmware.

The Alta is probably the last Fitbit product I will buy and the only reason I still wear it is to compete with my lazy friends whom I always beat anyway.
[doublepost=1507584105][/doublepost]
Perhaps you should issue your own guidelines about what can or cannot be posted or commented about ? I mentioned the glass as a direct impact part of the device. I hope you got AppleCare.. thats all !

In regards to the aesthetic design.... yeah big change on the 3 series. A red button crown LOL !

I am happy with mine in the closet and don’t miss it. The FitBit design to me is more sporty and original. Tired of seeing that Apple watch everywhere... but glad you can now make a phone call with it !? Lol

It's easily 5 times faster than your broken watch. You think the Fitbit's screen won't break if you did the exact same thing to it? I hope you plan on buying Fitbit Care. :rolleyes:

joueboy

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2008
I don’t know if I ever gonna trust fitbit anymore with this. I did enjoy my Charge 2 until I updated to iOS 11. They couldn’t even get that fix the connected GPS bug. They’re as slow as hell as Adobe ob fixing their issues.

Rochy Bay

Suspended
Apr 5, 2016
Cupertino, CA
Thanks, i’ll give it a try. Really its robotic to see everybody wearing the same Apple watch. Also i like the much simpler UI on FitBit’s as well as the 6 day battery life. I was one of those Apple everything until i discovered there is a different world out there lol.
AW3 is a lot faster than the first gen. I had the First Gen apple watch since release day and not only have I not cracked it, the screen is pristine, the battery life is still about a full day with normal usage. The only "damage" I got on mine is a light scuff to the anodized aluminum where I wacked my watch onto a corner of my car one time... it's not even noticeable unless I point it out as it isn't a gouge... just a "lighter spot" on the casing itself.

The AW has lasted me far longer than any Fitbit product I've owned. My Charge HR battery started crapping out within 6 months and my current 1 year old Alta can't go 2 days without a low battery warning and the Surge I owned had probably the worst product support I've ever seen on a product. The updates did nothing and the permanent band started to deteriorate after 8 months or so. They didn't care about keeping their users up to date on the latest features that could have easily been added via firmware.

The Alta is probably the last Fitbit product I will buy and the only reason I still wear it is to compete with my lazy friends whom I always beat anyway.
[doublepost=1507584105][/doublepost]

It's easily 5 times faster than your broken watch. You think the Fitbit's screen won't break if you did the exact same thing to it? I hope you plan on buying Fitbit Care. :rolleyes:

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Thanks, i’ll give it a try. Really its robotic to see everybody wearing the same Apple watch. Also i like the much simpler UI on FitBit’s as well as the 6 day battery life. I was one of those Apple everything until i discovered there is a different world out there lol.

I've had 4 FitBit products in the last 6 years and I wear both a Fitbit and an Apple currently. I don't care what everyone else is wearing. I was one of the first to have an Apple Watch so as far as I'm concerned, everyone else is copying me anyway.

That battery life goes way FAST. My Alta had 6 days first 6 months and now a year later it's barely a day or 2 before I get a low battery warning. I'm not sure if they use low quality batteries or what but that 6 day battery life will NOT last. I charged Saturday Night into Sunday Morning and wore it Sunday and today and I'm down to less than 1/2 of the battery bar. You'll be lucky to see 2 days on the Ionic after a year... and forget about support for it when the Ionic 2 comes out.

I would rather see a Fitbit Apple Watch App. I'd even pay for it because the Fitbit Ecosystem is the only thing that is better than Apple's.

Last edited:

CarpalMac

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2012
UK
Well if nothing else, you have to admire their optimism in sending a review unit to an Apple fan site. Hardly the home of calm, objective opinion.

The problem with Fitbit is they produce throwaway, unreliable devices. I'm on my third (Charge HR 2) and whilst I love the software and accuracy, the build quality is poor. The strap has just started falling apart on this one too.

Rochy Bay

Suspended
Apr 5, 2016
Cupertino, CA
I've had 4 FitBit products in the last 6 years and I wear both a Fitbit and an Apple currently. I don't care what everyone else is wearing. I was one of the first to have an Apple Watch so as far as I'm concerned, everyone else is copying me anyway.

That battery life goes way FAST. My Alta had 6 days first 6 months and now a year later it's barely a day or 2 before I get a low battery warning. I'm not sure if they use low quality batteries or what but that 6 day battery life will NOT last. I charged Saturday Night into Sunday Morning and wore it Sunday and today and I'm down to less than 1/2 of the battery bar. You'll be lucky to see 2 days on the Ionic after a year... and forget about support for it when the Ionic 2 comes out.

I would rather see a Fitbit Apple Watch App. I'd even pay for it because the Fitbit Ecosystem is the only thing that is better than Apple's.
Finally, I appreciate good criticism. I am looking forward to see about the battery. The app thing is a great idea, I think the reason why they did not do it is because of Apple's lower quality HR sensors.

Arbuthnott

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2008
It looks hideous and a complete eyesore. I’d be equally embarrassed wearing that as I was wearing my 80’s-looking Surge.

Goodbye Fitbit. Your arrogance, in not supporting Apple Health, was the final nail in your coffin. I, like many others, abandoned your feeble offerings when the Apple Watch became of age.

You reap what you sow! Please remember to switch off the lights on your way out...
Agreed - we were all FitBit, but the refusal to integrate with Apple Health, followed by very poor handling of two successive failed WiFi scales, and we’ve gone Apple Watch. In this business you can’t affird to disappoint and piss off your customers!

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Finally, I appreciate good criticism. I am looking forward to see about the battery. The app thing is a great idea, I think the reason why they did not do it is because of Apple's lower quality HR sensors.

Having used both at the same time; I had the Charge HR and the Apple Watch OG... it's not the HR sensor that's the problem. They're about the same from the results I had gotten, which is why I got rid of the Charge HR and moved to an Alta.

The reason from what I've read is that Fitbit doesn't want to have to share data with Apple Health, which all Apple Watch fitness apps have to do, even Pokemon Go. Or at least have the ability to do because you can turn it off.

I would have just happily settled for the step counter data on the AW; like the Fitbit App does with with iPhone, so I can compete with people on Fitbit, but Fitbit is the one making this difficult.

Reactions: thisisnotmyname

thisisnotmyname

macrumors 68020
Oct 22, 2014
known but velocity indeterminate

What's it like working at FitBit? Glad to see you survived the downsizing :p

rcooked

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2015
Yes, the lack of integration is making it a tough call for me. Fitbit has a sticky platform at a minimum - which, I would think any company eyeing this space would find attractive.

Waiting to see where this devices goes before purchasing one.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Wow that is really a harsh look for something meant to be worn.
It really does look terrible. To be fair, I have no use for smartwatches or the entire smartwatch category for that matter. That doesn't mean I can't opine about the aesthetic execution of the ionic. Back of the napkin says the 40% of the front glass is bezel. 40%. Bezel and branding. That's bad. Really bad. The area from bezel to band connector does the Ionic no favors. The harsh abruptness of it's angles. Looks like it was drawn with a protractor - nothin' but straight lines... like an early 70's idea of what the future would be. Prolly inspired by this:
9cf2c0e9d786788084a8cbd21e041ada--lcd-led-vintage-watches.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.