Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Jaybird, known for its line of headphones aimed at runners and fitness enthusiasts, recently introduced the RUN, its first wire-free headphones designed to compete with the wide range of wire-free headphones that are now on the market, like Apple's AirPods.

I went hands-on with the RUN to see how they compare to the AirPods and other Jaybird products like the new Freedom 2 headphones, also announced at the same time. There's no denying the convenience of wire-free earbuds, but as I learned with the RUN, there are still kinks that need to be worked out with the technology.

Design

Like Apple's AirPods, Jaybird RUN headphones are separate standalone earbuds that have no wire connecting them to one another, for a freer, hassle-free listening experience. Design wise, the RUN headphones look more like the Bragi Dash than the AirPods, with an in-ear tip connected to a circular earbud that nestles into the outer part of the ear.

jaybirdrun-800x507.jpg

A soft silicone tip fits over the speaker portion of the RUN, while a soft, highly flexible fin secures it in the ear. White aluminum-rimmed buttons are at the top of the earbuds, embossed with the Jaybird logo, and there are small green LEDs on each one that serve as indicator lights.

jaybirdrunsingledesign-800x600.jpg

The Jaybird RUN headphones are noticeably heavier and bulkier than the AirPods because all of the components sit in the ear without an elongated body. Size wise, they're a little over a half an inch at the thickest point, and depending on the structure of your ear, they can stick out a good bit.

Click here to read more...

Article Link: Review: Jaybird's New Wire-Free RUN Headphones Are Comfortable With Great Sound But Connection is Spotty

Reactions: FloridaMan561

xizdun

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2011
Sorry, Jaybird, your days are numbered.

I've owned the BlueBuds X, X2 and X3s. My next pair will be the Apple AirPods with the Qi wireless charging case.

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
Those exposed metal charging contact points worry me on a fitness related device. Dried sweat (salt) and other gunk will build up on them over time. Hopefully they don't have issues like Microsoft Band did.

Reactions: idmean

vertsix

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2015
Texas
Sorry, Jaybird, your days are numbered.

I've owned the BlueBuds X, X2 and X3s. My next pair will be the Apple AirPods with the Qi wireless charging case.
but why? the airpods just have much more inferior sound quality and horrendous audio leakage
[doublepost=1507056354][/doublepost]these look quite interesting, still incredibly pleased with my x2s, may be looking forward to upgrade at some point

definitely unbelievable sound quality for bluetooth iems

Reactions: Ryanhdd

mark081990

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2011
I just bought (and just returned) the Jaybird Freedom 2’s. Had them about 12 hours. Jaybird’s are not for me. Far too uncomfortable wire with overweight and oversized voice and volume controls. And I need some background noise. All that insulation’s makes it difficult to hear what is around you (even if the volume is off!). I already have noise canceling headphones and those are great for plane rides. When I’m out in about commuting to work, in the gym, or on a run... I need other noise to penetrate my ear to stay alert.

I went with AirPods!! I can’t tell you how happy I am. I don’t know why I gilded out so long (oh right I have a 6S and have a headphone jack). Well now that the Nike series 3 arrives Thursday... I needed something new. And I thought the regular EarPods were just fine using them with my nano for runs. Well these are better. Great sound with no wire. So simple to use it’s almost too good to be true.

I thought the Jaybird Freedom 2’s were clunky. And according to Rizknows reviews they’re less clunky for running then the Jaybird RUNs. So all these other brands with the excess silicone and everything crammed into the pod... NOT for me! You look like Frankenstein and they have to fatigue your ears after a while.

Thanks Apple. Simply perfect.

Reactions: idmean and xDKP

ChrisMoBro

Suspended
Oct 31, 2016
These don’t look that great but if the sound quality is as good as the X2’s then I’d pick them over AirPods. It genuinely blows my mind that people are willing to pay such a huge amount for inferior sounding headphones like AirPods. I guess a huge part of the reason is they’re a social status thing. I’ll stick to better sounding headphones for less money

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
It doesn’t matter how great the sound is, if the connection is spotty they’re junk. Side note, while I love my AirPods, they can be spotty with my MacBook sometimes.

mark081990

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2011
I don’t understand the anti-AirPod amongst some users. If you never liked the ear pods then I can understand. I truly love these things though. i just wise there was a way to sort of raise the volume from the pod by sliding your finger up or down on it

Applebot1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2014
UK
I don’t have a pair of Air Pods but been thinking about buying a pair of wireless head phones for a while now. High percentage of people on here seem to rate them.

sojer2005

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2007
In my opinion many Class 2 bluetooth headphones have spotty connection with iPhones.
AirPods, Beats Studio 3, Beats X, AKG N60NC Wireless are Class 1 bluetooth products, and the connection is rock solid.

Last edited:

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
The Jaybird app is great. Wish Apple had something like so users could customized the sound of AirPods. But looks like Jaybird might have missed on this one. Bulkier and more expensive than AirPods doesn't exactly encourage sales. I have a pair of Freedom F5s in addition to the AirPods (had the Freedoms first) and the connection on those can be shaky.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
These don’t look that great but if the sound quality is as good as the X2’s then I’d pick them over AirPods. It genuinely blows my mind that people are willing to pay such a huge amount for inferior sounding headphones like AirPods. I guess a huge part of the reason is they’re a social status thing. I’ll stick to better sounding headphones for less money

Airpods. Convenience, no isolation, and wireless stability. Most of the time I need to hear what's going on around me and iem's simply don't work for that.

BeefSupreme

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
So with the connection issues, these are just about same as the many cheap chinese units on amazon for $30.

artfossil

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2015
Florida
Airpods. Convenience, no isolation, and wireless stability. Most of the time I need to hear what's going on around me and iem's simply don't work for that.
And comfortable (surprised me), easy to store and charge, fabulous range, can control with my Watch, white color.

KB24Slam

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2015
Orange County, CA
I own the newest Jaybird Freedoms and AirPods and they're both great in their own right. The AirPods win every category for me except sound quality. They're perfect for almost every occasion besides an airplane, but the sound quality is inferior. It's not terrible, but it's not great by any stretch of the imagination. This is partly due to them not providing isolation which is intended, so I get that, but the Jaybirds sound quality is much better. Just depends on what features are important to you and your needs.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
And comfortable (surprised me), easy to store and charge, fabulous range, can control with my Watch, white color.

Yes, the battery life is astonishing. Especially when combined with the case. I also find them comfortable. I can forget I'm wearing them. Yes, you're paying a lot for this wireless convenience. But it's worth it. I can be a mild sound snob, yet these are some of my favourite products that I've ever purchased.

Reactions: artfossil

Ryanhdd

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2007
Virginia Beach, Virginia
but why? the airpods just have much more inferior sound quality and horrendous audio leakage
[doublepost=1507056354][/doublepost]these look quite interesting, still incredibly pleased with my x2s, may be looking forward to upgrade at some point

definitely unbelievable sound quality for bluetooth iems
I love my x3’s

fitshaced

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2011
If the AirPods didn’t look so stupid I’d use them other than around the house. I’ve heard the Jaybird runs have fit issues which is a problem when running. AirPods are less likely to get lost if they fall out.

macducky

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2010
America's Tourist City
Agree with the review even though it is biased to seem "positive".
I'm a former Jaybird X2 owner that was more than pleased until the battery refused to charge...
I bought a pair of RUNs cause I really want to cut the cord but:
-ear fatigue after more than 30 min
-constant refitting due to the out of ear weight (moment arm science) while running
-awful amount of dropout for left earpiece...even while mowing the lawn in a residential neighborhood!
They are getting returned today for a set of X3s...
Save $60 and wait for the technology to get better!!!

Speechless

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2015
Non-gentrified Brooklyn.
Jaybird’s are really phenomenal headphones..but they have a few issues that are just ridiculous. I own the X3’s and the connection lag when you boot them are comical. Also, there is an agonizing beep that plays when you lower the volume too much that makes me want to fight the developers. **** is piercing and so damn unnecessary.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.