Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Cables and adapters outfitted with USB-C have been becoming increasingly popular as smartphones and computers alike have adopted the standard, including Apple with its 12-inch Retina MacBook that launched in the spring of 2015. Accessories such as USB drives that make file transfers easier and larger docks have proven for users dealing with Apple's decision to include just two ports on the MacBook: USB-C and a headphone jack.

NuPower-Review-1-800x459.jpg

NewerTech's NuPower 60W USB-C Power Adapter is less flashy than some of the new feature-intensive products, but that's largely a positive. The Power Adapter replaces Apple's bundled 29W USB-C adapter to charge the MacBook, with the added bonus of a 12W USB-A port to simultaneously charge any traditional USB-powered device -- like an iPhone or iPad -- from the same adapter.

As a replacement to Apple's power adapter, NewerTech's accessory has a slight edge in providing simultaneous charge to a second device, making it a potentially compelling alternative for Retina MacBook owners. The added visual clutter of thicker cables, however, might not be worth the $59.99 price for some people.

Click here to read more...

Article Link: Review: NewerTech's NuPower USB-C Power Adapter Charges MacBook and iPhone

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
While I don't have a need for this type of device at the moment, I can say that I am impressed with NewerTech products. I have a NewerTech external RAID setup and it's been running non-stop for several years and has never given me any troubles. They seem to make solid products in my opinion.

atikalz

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2016
With my MacBook Pro this is magically working without any third party adapter!

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Very much like a surface pro charger.

However, this is a fail. The iPhone can't sync with the computer while charging here. The lack of the pass through or hub feature makes this rather unappealing.

I can plug my phone in. Don't need this to do it.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
No USB hub included. Or at least USB-C passthrough. What a missed opportunity.
Yeah, I was hoping the USB port would be a powered port actually connected to the USB-C machine. That plus no fast charging seems to make this a pass.

Someone please build a hub that has a few USB-A and a few USB-C ports that can be used as just a hub, or plugged in it charges the macbook (at full speed, and preferably with the charger built into the hub and just a removable power cord for charging.) I will pay good money for that.

butterburger cookybutter

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2016
> The lack of the pass through or hub feature makes this rather unappealing.
> I was hoping the USB port would be a powered port actually connected to the USB-C machine.

I believe dumb (no active electronics) "USB pass-through" would violate specification. Compliance would require a chip. I believe that would make it a "single port hub", like a active repeater extension cable.

2017-01-23 edit add: This power supply might be harmful.
2017-02-09 edit add: This power supply might be harmful.
2017-02-14 edit add: This power supply is definitively bad.

Last edited:

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I'd much rather have two USB-C ports. That way all I'd need is this charger, a USB-C to USB-C cable for my MacBook, and a USB-C to Lightning cable. I could then use the USB-C to Lightning to charge the iPhone from the charger, or from the MacBook. As it is, I would need to also carry a USB-C to USB-A adapter.

Right now I have the Anker charger with one USB-C and four USB-A, to charge Mac - iPad - Watch - and two iPhones (mine & wife's). If someone made one with five USB-C I'd have bought that instead. Transitional stuff irritates me, everything is going to have USB-C in another year or two so I feel like I'm wasting money buying stuff like this now when I know I'll have to replace it soon.

djeeyore25

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2014
New York City
I wonder if it'll quick charge the 12.9" iPad Pro with a USB-C to lightning cable like the Apple charger. It's about the same price but includes a regular USB charger as well.

alexgowers

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2012
I'd much rather have two USB-C ports. That way all I'd need is this charger, a USB-C to USB-C cable for my MacBook, and a USB-C to Lightning cable. I could then use the USB-C to Lightning to charge the iPhone from the charger, or from the MacBook. As it is, I would need to also carry a USB-C to USB-A adapter.

Right now I have the Anker charger with one USB-C and four USB-A, to charge Mac - iPad - Watch - and two iPhones (mine & wife's). If someone made one with five USB-C I'd have bought that instead. Transitional stuff irritates me, everything is going to have USB-C in another year or two so I feel like I'm wasting money buying stuff like this now when I know I'll have to replace it soon.
I love Anker stuff, i've two older USB hubs at the back of my sofa with a load of short cables. The amount of use they get is insane, especially if you do a bit of surfing on iPads and stuff and have friends over.

Apple should have gone all USB-C with everything already, I don't like to transition slowly. The new macbook pro will likely be all USB-C.

A USB-C hub with pass through to act as a hub and charge the laptop is the next step. You need the power brick anyways so why don't we just combine them and solve the i/o issues on ultra thin laptops. Apple should be including something like this in the box. The could do this as an alternative charger that has SD card slop, USB, thunderbolt 2 or any other legacy stuff. You can choose either power brick or buy post purchase.

maadmole

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2015
To explicitly connect the dots, one of the corollaries of this device lacking "USB-C passthrough" capability is that you can't use it with Apple's Digital AV Multiport adapter. This renders this product worthless for most use cases. I don't know if this is Apple sneakiness or vendor laziness, but as of now the *only* way you can simultaneously charge the laptop and connect a USB peripheral is using the Multiport adapter together with Apple's 29W power adapter. You have been warned. Note to reviewer: please change the wording on your article to reflect the fact that NuPower 60W is not a replacement for Apple's 29W adapter!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.