Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

YoYoMa

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 3, 2006
Well, now that my Mac has bluetooth I've begun looking for bluetooth mice only to find that there are NO quality bluetooth mice out there.

I've got the Logitech mx1000 for my PC, and have had it for about a year and a half, and it seems that getting another one is still my best option (either that or the new Logitech MX Revolution.)

So when Logitech, the true mouse innovators, don't make a quality bluetooth mouse, it raises some red flags in my mind. Add that to the fact that no one out there has done it except for Apple and it raises the question "Why is it that most mice are RF over Bluetooth?" Could it be that RF is a more compatible technology?

I'd love a bluetooth mouse that was equal in quality to the almost two year old mx1000 or the new Logitech MX Revolution but no one seems to be making them. Sadly, I'll probably be using up a USB port on my Mac and buying another version of the same mouse I've had for a year and a half (still an absolutely wonderful mouse however.)

So what do you guys think? Why no bluetooth mice?

kered22

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2006
Torrance, CA
I had a Logitech BT mouse and it had one problem. I play games and the bandwidth of bluetooth is less than RF, so the mouse response time in games wasn't very good. I've since switched to the MX1000 myself and I haven't looked back nor have I even considered replacing it.

So if you play games or the best mouse response time is important, go with an RF laser mouse. :)

MacBoySeattle

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2006
Stick with Laser RF. Bluetooth is nice for the convenience of transferring mp3s, say, to your cell phone, but the bandwith (even on BT 2.0 EDR) isn't as good as RF. If you want a great RF Mac bundle, I'd look at the Logitech S530:

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=2162,CONTENTID=11420

It's got a mini RF USB dongle that you can't even see and it's been working great for me. Also works with PCs by the way.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
The Logitech 2.4 GHz tech consists of Bluetooth RF transceivers running a proprietary protocol optimized for gaming.

bob5820

macrumors 6502a
MacBoySeattle said:
Stick with Laser RF. Bluetooth is nice for the convenience of transferring mp3s, say, to your cell phone, but the bandwith (even on BT 2.0 EDR) isn't as good as RF. If you want a great RF Mac bundle, I'd look at the Logitech S530:

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=2162,CONTENTID=11420

It's got a mini RF USB dongle that you can't even see and it's been working great for me. Also works with PCs by the way.
I wish I'd seen this before I added the Mac Wirless key board and mouse to my order. Then again I'd like atleast give the apple inputs a try. I was also disapointed do see the absolute lack of good bluetooth mice available. My RF MX1000 has been crapping out on me, keeps lossing its signal. I thoght I'd be able to repalce it with a BT MX1000, but it doesn't look like Logitech is selling them.

RichP

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2003
Motor City
That logitech setup looks pretty good. I have a bluetooth MightyMouse, and its ok for laptop use when I need it, but at home, on my G5, it has issues. I even tried another bluetooth module, but when going to sleep and reawakening, the mouse is slow and stuttery.

YoYoMa

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 3, 2006
I've used that Logitech set beore. I prefer the wireless Apple keyboard though so all I really need is a mouse. Now that I know that RF is the best tech when it comes to mice I won't feel as bad when I spend some more money on another one. I'm going to give the new MX Revolution a shot and see if I prefer it to the mx1000.

RichP

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2003
Motor City
YoYoMa said:
I've used that Logitech set beore. I prefer the wireless Apple keyboard though so all I really need is a mouse. Now that I know that RF is the best tech when it comes to mice I won't feel as bad when I spend some more money on another one. I'm going to give the new MX Revolution a shot and see if I prefer it to the mx1000.

What didnt you like about it? I just noticed Compusa has a rebate on the set, its only $60.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I've read that the S530 is not even FastRF, the old fast tech.

YoYoMa

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 3, 2006
The mouse jumps all over the place when I use it on my couch. I had to keep a piece of plastic under it just to make it usable. I've never had a mouse do that before, even when I previously used optical mice. (My setup is in my living room on a projector screen, which is why I use my mouse on a couch.) Also, the Logitech keyboard feels cheaper and is loud and clanky. The Apple keyboard however is strong, silent, smooth, and feels like a very high quality item. It cost as much as the whole Logitech set, but I didn't want to budget on the keyboard and mouse, being I intereact with them so much.

RichP

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2003
Motor City
YoYoMa said:
The mouse jumps all over the place when I use it on my couch. I had to keep a piece of plastic under it just to make it usable. I've never had a mouse do that before, even when I previously used optical mice. (My setup is in my living room on a projector screen, which is why I use my mouse on a couch.) Also, the Logitech keyboard feels cheaper and is loud and clanky. The Apple keyboard however is strong, silent, smooth, and feels like a very high quality item. It cost as much as the whole Logitech set, but I didn't want to budget on the keyboard and mouse, being I intereact with them so much.

I completely agree about quality keyboards, sad to hear the logitech isnt one of them.

Funny, I still have an old IBM keyboard I use sometimes (with a PS2-USB adapter) It has the best quality feel to it, although Apple is a close 2nd.

orangezorki

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
For once, I'm at the bleeding edge! - But it's only a mouse...

Yesterday, I bought the MX revolution - and I really like it. It's comfortable, seems to be made from good materials, and the new scroll wheel which automatically switches between ratcheted and freewheeling is great.

David

weg

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
nj
YoYoMa said:
So what do you guys think? Why no bluetooth mice?

I have a MS bluetooth mouse and it doesn't work as smoothly as the MS RF mouse my girlfriend uses on her Windows laptop. The bluetooth mouse is sometimes jumpy. I don't care that much, since it's nice for traveling and giving presentations, and there's nothing that sticks out of my 12" Powerbook.. if I was playing games on my PB, though, I guess BT wouldn't be an option.

bob5820

macrumors 6502a
YoYoMa said:
Give us an update and let us know how you like it.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
I have my BT "Pro" Apple mouse..i love it..but it is my first wireless mouse, but I think its perfect for my needs. It also has made me use keyboard short cuts more, which was much faster.

YoYoMa

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 3, 2006
Well, I'm using the MX Revolution right now and it is quite the fantastic mouse. Definitely a big upgrade from the mx1000. It feels and looks wonderful, and the scroll wheel is fantastic (going to be a huge help when it comes to scrolling through huge usenet listings.) This mouse is by far the new king of the hill. It has improved on the mx1000 in every area that it could have. I'm not sure if it would be worth the price premium over the mx1000 to most people, as that mouse is absolutely wonderful in its own right as well, but this mouse is definitely a whole new generation. Not quite as huge of a jump up as the mx1000 was during it's introduction being the mx1000 was just so revolutionary at the time (well isn't that ironic), but it is a very nice improvement.

Also, I'm not sure if they have upped the range on the mx1000 since I bought it, but that has always been a problem I've had with it. The Revolution has a much greater range than my older mx1000 and connects to the computer with a small wireless USB connector, unlike the mx1000 which requires a cable from the computer to the dock.

So, in conclusion, I own both of these wonderful mice, and in my opinion the Revolution is a very nice improvement and worth the extra money. It feels like blasphemy to say such a thing but I really am quite satisfied with it so far.

PS- Comp-USA has a 20% off coupon for all mice good until tmmw, so to all who are interested, you can get $20 off, which is the biggest discount I've yet to witness on this item.

fatties

macrumors regular
May 21, 2006
on the logitech set i think 60 bucks is a great price. i only got it in the first place because it was so much cheaper than the apple set (and that was before the bt mighty mouse came out too, 2 button scroll mouse is essential for me, a switcher!)

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
I just bought a Radtech BT600 which is my first Bluetooth mouse, but it's way too laggy and jumpy. I also have another mobile BT mouse and it's jumpy too. Is that just Bluetooth in general, or maybe it's my computer? Either way, I think I'm going to buy one of Logitech's MX RF mice, since those seem to be getting good reviews. I also bought Apple's BT Mighty Mouse, and that was not as jumpy, but I hated it, so I returned it :)

slughead

macrumors 68040
Apr 28, 2004
The Logitech MX1000 has a proprietary protocol with a 125hz refresh rate.

Bluetooth is 80hz.

it's not just some tricked-out bluetooth, it's 50+% more bandwidth

as far as range, I can use mine effectively 10 feet away from the cradle, as long as there's nothing between the two... it may go way farther but I've never tried

I usually keep mine about 3-4 feet away from the cradle during normal use

ljones

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I have the Logitech MX700, works fine for me. I just love the buttons. Setup custom actions for one to display dashboard, the up and down buttons for next and previous song in iTunes, the side thumbs to increase and decrease the volume in iTunes.

Beats the mighty mouse any day, it helps me be more efficient. I just work, click through songs, and adjust the audio when needed, all while not leaving whatever i was doing.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Lag? I've been using a Logitech V500 (I think the number is) for 2 years now as it was a small, wireless laptop mouse. Great mouse too. But my BT Mighty Mouse dominates now, I don't get any lag, no issues at all. Sure it took a while to adapt to the left/right button issues but I find extremely precise and with no lag whatsoever. Both mice have been subjected to game, video and graphic design use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.