Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bkribbs

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
I'm really surprised I have seen NOTHING on this!

For people who had lag, has it been improved? People have been saying 10.9 was the magical fix, so- is it?

Can you please state if you had it before, and if you have it now?

I've also seen theories it needs new thermal paste applied so maybe 10.9 isn't the fix? Or both?

Last edited:

zebi

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2003
I haven't been using 10.9 - tried out Safari 6.1 on ML - and it is incredibly quick compared to Safari 6.0.2 etc. I have around 15 -20 tabs open, scrolling on Facebook / The Verge not an issue. Processor usage seems lower too.

Love the new sidebar etc. A definite improvement.

bkribbs

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
There's also the lag in mission control I understand which would still exist for you. If I'm paying 2200 dollars for a machine, I want NO lag.

MacReloaded

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2007
Canada
Resizing Safari windows on the highest resolution and HD 4000 still lags. Other than that, I haven't really noticed any lag.

bkribbs

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
Everyone has it, there are just people who are blind and ignorant and there are people like you and me. So far, it looks like that Maverick fixes the lag problem which by the way has been confirmed to me by Apple themselves...

There are probably a few people without it. Not all computer are built equally.

Also, not me yet, I've been waiting to confirm this is gone before I buy it.

But sweet!

Griouxtiful

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2013
Could someone capture a video about rMBP performance, like scrolling in Safari and launching mission control, in Mavericks and upload it to youtube?

I`m owner of a 13" model, and I can`t wait to get 10.9...

rikscha

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2010
London
There are probably a few people without it. Not all computer are built equally.

Also, not me yet, I've been waiting to confirm this is gone before I buy it.

But sweet!

Well, Apple themselves confirmed to me more than twice that the GUI performance on a rmbp is not optimal and that this is the price for being the first company to bring out a laptop with such a high resolution.
Also, I tested at least 15 different rmbps in different Apple stores, do not believe what people are saying about this. The rmbp's GUI performance is ridiculous. They suggested to me escalating this with some manager at Apple to get a refund or a different Mac...

bkribbs

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
Could someone capture a video about rMBP performance, like scrolling in Safari and launching mission control, in Mavericks and upload it to youtube?

I`m owner of a 13" model, and I can`t wait to get 10.9...

I believe sharing video may violate NDA? not sure if it isn't showing new stuff off though.

Well, Apple themselves confirmed to me more than twice that the GUI performance on a rmbp is not optimal and that this is the price for being the first company to bring out a laptop with such a high resolution.
Also, I tested at least 15 different rmbps in different Apple stores, do not believe what people are saying about this. The rmbp's GUI performance is ridiculous. They suggested to me escalating this with some manager at Apple to get a refund or a different Mac...

This is in reference to 10.8 right? No longer relevant with 10.9?

rikscha

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2010
London
I believe sharing video may violate NDA? not sure if it isn't showing new stuff off though.

This is in reference to 10.8 right? No longer relevant with 10.9?

Yes to 10.8. I am not a developer but people seem to be happy about the 10.9 performance.

bkribbs

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
Yes to 10.8. I am not a developer but people seem to be happy about the 10.9 performance.

Ah gotcha.

I would love for one person who had bad lag before and now has 10.9 to just state it clears it up.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Just a hint: there will always be a lag (as in - a slight initial delay) in Mission Control if you have enough windows open, simply because OS X has to issue a redraw operation on all of the windows. And, don't forget that windows are still updated in real time while being shown in Mission Control, this is very taxing for the system. It is very different from the 'normal' operation where the OS can optimise away visualisation of hidden UI elements.

shznit

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2010
Safari is very smooth, Chrome same as before. Mission Control zoom animation gets pretty choppy, especially with multiple monitors but independent spaces is worth it.

luciushunt

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2009
i think the performance is the same as mountain lion, slightly laggy, but laggy.
Worst bits: Safati, Mission control and Launchpad.

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
the mavericks performance is much better than ML 10.8.4 on my rmbp. and luckily all of my apps work except vmware becomes a bit slow, but it's not much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.