Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

c-Row

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
Germany
German news page DER SPIEGEL (http://www.spiegel.de) recently updated their site, now incorporating some AJAX functionality as well (or at least it looks so) to browse through the news entries of a given ressort. Those buttons work fine in every browser except Safari. :confused:

Does Safari has some problems with AJAX, or does it come down to bad coding? What are your experiences?

godrifle

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2003
Fort Thomas, KY
c-Row said:
So it all comes down to lazy web coders... thanks. :cool:

Exactly. I'm developing in PHP/MySQL with AJAX-based sortable datagrid columns and Sarari gives me no problems there at all. Now, CSS is another story (IE 6 is still the very worst). :eek:

Knox

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 1, 2002
UK
What page on the spiegel site do you think AJAX is being used? I can't see anything in the default javascript includes (although they are a bit of a mess).

There was a small bug with the AJAX implemention in early versions of Safari that stopped you requesting the same URL more than once without reloading the page, but other than that I haven't had any problems with it.

c-Row

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
Germany
Knox said:
What page on the spiegel site do you think AJAX is being used? I can't see anything in the default javascript includes (although they are a bit of a mess).

I thought the browsing where it says "Blättern" within the smaller News articles (at the right of the larger "headline" news in the lower part of the site) would be done with AJAX, but it might just be a simple JS snippet instead. However, it still doesn't work in Safari.

Knox

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 1, 2002
UK
c-Row said:
I thought the browsing where it says "Blättern" within the smaller News articles (at the right of the larger "headline" news in the lower part of the site) would be done with AJAX, but it might just be a simple JS snippet instead. However, it still doesn't work in Safari.

Ah that bit, no, just looks like a Javascript show/hide by altering the CSS. For me, it works the same in Safari 2.0.4 and Firefox at least.

c-Row

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
Germany
Knox said:
Ah that bit, no, just looks like a Javascript show/hide by altering the CSS. For me, it works the same in Safari 2.0.4 and Firefox at least.

Strange... Safari on my MBP can't do the switching. Oh well, as long as AJAX works as intended.

Thanks for checking out. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.