Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

exeterbohemian

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
brooklyn
today i was browsing around on safari (as i so often do) and noticed something quite intriguing that i can only imagine must be some sort of flaw in the interface between safari and exposé. seeing as how i'm not a fan of 'tabbed' browsing, i'll generally have at least three or four safari windows open at any given time. that being the case, having exposé at my disposal is quite useful. however, using exposé when safari is the only open application, all of the windows shrink and line up horizontally instead of utilizing the whole screen. so with something like twenty windows open, it starts to look kind of ridiculous. i mean, i'm not really complaining, since this is really more of an 'aesthetic' concern with how exposé chooses to format itself or whatnot. but still, it feels a little off to me. has anyone else noticed this?

GITANAJAVA

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2006
Have ibrik, will travel.
I don't use tabbed browsing, but my Safari/Expose reveal has never arranged pages horizontally unless I only had two pages up. I don't know the real issue or answer, but if any of the pros drop by, they will!
Hang in there for a proper solution, wish I could do more. :confused:

Unorthodox

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2006
Not at the beach...
You don't use tabbed browsing! Out! Out! We don't serve your kind here. Are you sure it's Safari? I bet it's Internet Explorer.
Just kidding.....Just kidding.....

Where was I.... Ah yes.

If you still have the default shortcuts, (F11=Show Desktop, F10=Show all windows in current application, F9=Show all windows) Then....

For some reason, F10 (Show all windows in current application) arranges all of the windows horizontally. I don't know why....
If you just have Safari windows open, use F9 (Show all windows) It arranges them more efficiently.

Wait did you say you didn't use tabbed browsing?

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
The solution:

Slightly Change the size of the windows in Safari. When every window is the same size expose lines them all up evenly.

Resizing the windows by at least ONE PIXEL will solve this.

Unorthodox

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2006
Not at the beach...
GimmeSlack12 said:
The solution:
Slightly Change the size of the windows in Safari. When every window is the same size expose lines them all up evenly.

That didn't work for me.

exeterbohemian

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
brooklyn
Lacreo said:
For some reason, F10 (Show all windows in current application) arranges all of the windows horizontally. I don't know why....
If you just have Safari windows open, use F9 (Show all windows) It arranges them more efficiently.

i tried doing 'show all windows in current application' and 'show all windows', and both still yielded the same horizontal arrangement...

GimmeSlack12 said:
The solution:

yes, problem solved. :)

although the fact that safari and exposé act like this when the windows are the same size (which they generally are when i'm using command-n to spawn them) is still somewhat puzzling to me... hm.:rolleyes:

Sogo

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2004
Ah yes i know this issue. To be honest with you, this just happens randomly. I know about the same size thing, but that does not work, for me at least. Oh, and why i say randomly, i mean rarley.

TheMonarch

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2005
Bay Area
Its not random at all. The reason it happens (As already stated) is because windows are the exactly the same size in exactly the same place on screen. This is due to the fact that Exposé arranges windows depending where they are on screen in relation to one another. As a rule, all windows must be shrunken proportionately. So if you think about it, if multiple windows are stacked exactly on top of each other (In the same place) they should be in exactly the same place when you hit F11... But obviously they're programmed it so it doesn't do that, and what a more simple way to fix that than to move the window to the right or left? :)

To stop that then:
Use tabbed browsing
OR
Resize at least one windows by at least one pixel
OR
Move one of the windows one pixel or more.

;)

GITANAJAVA

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2006
Have ibrik, will travel.
Lacreo said:
You don't use tabbed browsing! Out! Out! We don't serve your kind here. Are you sure it's Safari? I bet it's Internet Explorer.
Just kidding.....Just kidding.....

Where was I.... Ah yes.

If you still have the default shortcuts, (F11=Show Desktop, F10=Show all windows in current application, F9=Show all windows) Then....

Wait did you say you didn't use tabbed browsing?

Oh, spank me! ;)

Mac OS X Ocelot

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
I have never found anything more annoying than tabbed browsing. How inefficient.

That said, I know of his problem, but am not bothered by it since I only use the F9 and F11 Exposé features. I don't find it hard to pick out the Safari page I want out of a group containing several different Safari pages, my Adium contact list and maybe an IM window and/or a window or two from another app.

I do hope they fix this for you though :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.