Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nermal

Original poster
Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Hi everyone,

I had a power outage the other day, which for some reason made my system clock change to 21 October 2018. Safari's History menu contains a couple of entries for that date, from before I noticed that the clock was wrong.

I go to History/Show All History, select the entries, and push Delete. That works until I close and reopen Safari, at which point they mysteriously pop back up again. Other items are fine; I can delete ones that occurred in the past, and they don't come back.

Has anyone run into these "undead" History entries before and is there some way to get rid of them permanently?

Safari 10.1 on 10.12.4.

Nermal

Original poster
Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
My other machine is currently turned off. I just unticked Safari in Sys Prefs/iCloud, but it didn't resolve the issue.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
try going offline, then change the date manually to 21 october 2018, THEN delete history, quit safari, reopen it. then reboot, reconnect online, set the date/time to sync automatically.. see how that goes.

Nermal

Original poster
Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Thanks; that did it. I don't know why I didn't think of it myself because it was completely logical...

I didn't actually need to reboot; I just quit Safari, changed the date, started it up and deleted the items, then re-quit and changed the date back.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Thanks; that did it. I don't know why I didn't think of it myself because it was completely logical...

I didn't actually need to reboot; I just quit Safari, changed the date, started it up and deleted the items, then re-quit and changed the date back.

ha, glad that worked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.