Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
If you don't, you will only be losing more value on your phone. Besides, I have yet to see Galaxy S/Note users around me that are not taking advantage of Samsung's trade up program every year. It's the only way to get at least some good return on the old Samsung phone. But if you prefer keeping a hugely depreciating pieve of brick, more power to you. Just stop whining about updates/security patches.

This is good advice especially if you like following the latest models

This is a far cheaper option than if you were trying to do this with an IPhone every year especially if you factor in AC etc

Even if your lucky and manage to get a reasonable sale price over the Apple trade in price (Typically in US) its the stealth and the accessory costs that ramp up Iphone ownership on a like for like basis

With Samsung whats in the box and bundles and trade in makes for remarkable value for money over IPhones especially if you upgrade regularly

It's likely you have to keep your Iphone for 2 or 3 years with an aging phone and accessories to come close to what it would cost to upgrade every year with a Samsung

Of course you could be extra canny with your Iphone and not buy AC and any accessories etc for 3 years and be in front with a couple of $100's but it would be a dull 3 years of ownership :)

Choose your OS and OEM as you please as in real terms there is negligible difference in true ownership costs on like for like basis for many over a longer period of ownership

Apple know this and hence the ECO as this is where there extended profit lies with repeatably on services and accessories that easily make up for less frequent renewals. That's why their 5 year support becomes important so they can encourage you to renew accessories if your do not renew your Iphone

Last edited:

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
My Note 9 cost 2000nz for the 512gb model
The carrier gave me $200 off.
The trade in deal gave me 500 plus, cant remember the exact amount but I think it was 574 dollars.
I got the dual charging stand and some JBL wireless headphones which I sold.
I got the phone essentially for just under half price after all was said and done.
Sometimes trading can make it more palatable.
Yes trading or selling your phone makes it more justifiable to upgrade every year. I usually sell my old iPhone every year and that offsets the cost of up upgrading. However having a good oem trade in programme makes things a lot easier and seamless.
[doublepost=1564912058][/doublepost]
This is good advice especially if you like following the latest models

This is a far cheaper option than if you were trying to do this with an IPhone every year especially if you factor in AC etc

Even if your lucky and manage to get a reasonable sale price over the Apple trade in price (Typically in US) its the stealth and the accessory costs that ramp up Iphone ownership on a like for like basis

With Samsung whats in the box and bundles and trade in makes for remarkable value for money over IPhones especially if you upgrade regularly

It's likely you have to keep your Iphone for 2 or 3 years with an aging phone and accessories to come close to what it would cost to upgrade every year with a Samsung

Of course you could be extra canny with your Iphone and not buy AC and any accessories etc for 3 years and be in front with a couple of $100's but it would be a dull 3 years of ownership :)

Choose your OS and OEM as you please as in real terms there is negligible difference in true ownership costs on like for like basis for many over a longer period of ownership

Apple know this and hence the ECO as this is where there extended profit lies with repeatably on services and accessories that easily make up for less frequent renewals. That's why their 5 year support becomes important so they can encourage you to renew accessories if your do not renew your Iphone
The Apple trading programme is a rip off. You can get a lot more money by trading in somewhere else. You don’t even have to sell to a third party. Most recycling sites and sellers of second hand gadgets give you more here in the UK than Apple’s official trade in programme.

Last edited:

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
Concern for updates is nonexistent.
1. Why keeping a depreciating gadget when you can trade up every year for for the latest and for just a few hundred dollars?
2. No issue of upgrades since you’ll be getting a brand new phone with the latest Android every year anyway

Apple don’t depreciate like Android and Samsung do. I sold my 2nd 18-month-old iPhone X for $825. I wouldn’t get that with Samsung.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Apple don’t depreciate like Android and Samsung do. I sold my 2nd 18-month-old iPhone X for $825. I wouldn’t get that with Samsung.
Ah yes. If you want to hold on your phone for a long time, get an iPhone. Totally agree with that. My point was the argument about updates etc on android is a non issue since one can just trade up to a new phone on a yearly basis.

And exactly as you said, Samsung phone doesn’t hold its value well compared to iPhone, so best way for a Samsung user is to take advantage of Samsung’s trade up program every time they release a new phone. It solves the update concerns as well. :)

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
Ah yes. If you want to hold on your phone for a long time, get an iPhone. Totally agree with that. My point was the argument about updates etc on android is a non issue since one can just trade up to a new phone on a yearly basis.

And exactly as you said, Samsung phone doesn’t hold its value well compared to iPhone, so best way for a Samsung user is to take advantage of Samsung’s trade up program every time they release a new phone. It solves the update concerns as well. :)

You’re absolutely right about trading using Samsung’s trade up program every time a device is released. The updates only become an issue when a person decide not to update yearly on Android and keep their device for several years.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
You’re absolutely right about trading using Samsung’s trade up program every time a device is released. The updates only become an issue when a person decide not to update yearly on Android and keep their device for several years.
Well you are covered with updates for 2 years and if you keep for a third year you will get security updates. However if you are keen to get updates then you can’t keep it beyond 3 years.

cuzo

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2012
note 9 trade in is 600 for the note 10... makes sense to do that and sell the note 10 if you try to sell the note 9 you may get 425.

And to think it came out last year for 999 starting now barely 450 used on swappa.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Looking only on RRP/Sticker value you may think that but most Samsung buyers especially opting on the regular update cycle with generous trade in deal are faring the same or better

If you start throwing in the freebies and included items then it can be considerable less on a like for like basis

For those that flip flop between the + model and the note it can be just a couple of hundred or so between models

If you try and drag out a Samsung over 3 years the Iphone is a better bet but only because the Samsung owner missed out on all the interim bundled freebies that Apple never offer

Even then the small advantage with an Iphone over 3 years can easily be eroded if you only opt for OEM accessories or other hidden cost on cloud services etc

Last edited:

bbednarz

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2017
Chicago

Wait what..? In order to receive updates you need to buy a new phone every year?

woof. That is not a 'non-issue'. Needing to buy a new phone every single year to ensure you receive a software update is.... wild.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Wait what..? In order to receive updates you need to buy a new phone every year?

woof. That is not a 'non-issue'. Needing to buy a new phone every single year to ensure you receive a software update is.... wild.
To be fair I do not think that was the implication it was more to negate the stock argument on Iphone longer update period is mute if you update regularly :)

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007

Quite similar with iPhone Upgrade Program, except you’re paying full in advance, and get trade in value later. No biggie. I mean go ask Samsung users why they buy Samsung. Besides, I’m talking about reality. Android OEMs get money from selling new phones, not updating old ones. That’s just the fact.

Wide opeN

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2010
Georgia
Your always "behind" PERIOD on a Samsung device.

I can't live with that. Hence me being more of a Google/One Plus supporter.

All the bells and whistles don't add up IMO.

Reactions: drinkingtea

valinda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 16, 2015
Virginia Beach, VA
Your always "behind" PERIOD on a Samsung device.

I can't live with that. Hence me being more of a Google/One Plus supporter.

All the bells and whistles don't add up IMO.

I guess that would be noticed by a more techie person than myself. I don’t worry about updates to much. I’ll
eventually get them. Hopefully the Verizon 24/7 threat protection helps to keep my device secure. Plus the precautions I already take when using my device. Like I don’t use public wi-fi, I have unlimited anyway.
On top of that I have never used a phone for more than two years, I’ll usually upgrade.

Wide opeN

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2010
Georgia
I prefer the bells and whistles over updates which have features that have been available on Samsung devices for years.

Don't know if I can along with that, as you're currently on iPhone and weren't able to use a Galaxy for over a month before withdrawal symptoms kicked in.
[doublepost=1565283301][/doublepost]
I guess that would be noticed by a more techie person than myself. I don’t worry about updates to much. I’ll
eventually get them. Hopefully the Verizon 24/7 threat protection helps to keep my device secure. Plus the precautions I already take when using my device. Like I don’t use public wi-fi, I have unlimited anyway.
On top of that I have never used a phone for more than two years, I’ll usually upgrade.

You have a very every man/woman (read objective) perception, and that's good. May I ask what phone you're using!?

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Don't know if I can along with that, as you're currently on iPhone and weren't able to use a Galaxy for over a month before withdrawal symptoms kicked in.

You have a very every man/woman (read objective) perception, and that's good. May I ask what phone you're using!?
My problem now is that I can’t use two mobile phones. Before I went back to the iPhone in 2014 I used Samsung for 2.5 years. Since then I’ve only ever used them together and struggle to run two phones.

valinda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 16, 2015
Virginia Beach, VA

I have an S10 plus, and I also have a iPhone X.

Wide opeN

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2010
Georgia
I have an S10 plus, and I also have a iPhone X.

Ahhh no wonder. I'd like a similar setup. Perhaps update either or every two years or so.

What I like about Samsung Android devices, is they receive more support from case makers, and in general than other Android OEM's. Too, they have the scale and ambition to match Apple.

I can't necessarily say that about Google or One Plus.

Reactions: valinda
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.