Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Samsung is planning to announce its new 2019 flagship smartphones on February 20, but ahead of their debut date, benchmarks of the new S10+ model were shared on Slashleaks.

According to the data, Apple's current crop of iPhones, equipped with A12 chips, will outperform the Snapdragon 855 processor in Samsung's smartphone.

The Galaxy S10+, which features 6GB RAM, earned a single-core Geekbench 4 score of 3413 and a multi-core score of 10256.

samsunggalaxys10benchmark-800x638.jpg

Comparatively, the A12 Bionic chip in the iPhone XS features a single-core Geekbench score of 4797 and a multi-core score score of 11264.

iphonexsbenchmark-800x684.jpg

Apple's A-series chips often outperform the Qualcomm chips that Samsung uses because Apple is designing its chips in house and is able to offer tighter integration between hardware and software. As AnandTech explained in a review of the iPhone XS and XS Max, Apple's chips are also far more efficient:
Overall the new A12 Vortex cores and the architectural improvements on the SoC's memory subsystem give Apple's new piece of silicon a much higher performance advantage than Apple's marketing materials promote. The contrast to the best Android SoCs have to offer is extremely stark - both in terms of performance as well as in power efficiency. Apple's SoCs have better energy efficiency than all recent Android SoCs while having a nearly 2x performance advantage. I wouldn't be surprised that if we were to normalise for energy used, Apple would have a 3x performance efficiency lead.
While benchmarks are often not reflective of real world usage, the data does suggest that Apple's 2018 iPhones will be a good deal faster than Samsung's 2019 smartphones. Given that both the A12 and the Snapdragon 855 are super fast processors able to handle gaming and day to day tasks with ease, Android users won't be at a serious disadvantage.

Since Samsung hasn't released the Galaxy S10+, there's still a chance these details could be off, but it's unlikely since we're quite close to the debut of the device.

Article Link: Leaked Benchmarks Suggest iPhone XS Outperforms Samsung's Upcoming Galaxy S10+

brofkand

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2006
Samsung needs to switch to their own Exynos chips. I hear they are higher performance than the Snapdragon parts.

They stick with the Snapdragon parts because they need Qualcomm modems in the USA for VZW and Sprint. They don't have the nads to take on Qualcomm like Apple does.

allenvanhellen

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2015
This doesn’t mean much to me. Phones are powerful enough now. iOS has quirks and bugs and opportunities for refinement and greater functionality that need to be solved and realized. The only advancement I really care about now from the processor is how much battery life it can get.

kakinc

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2018
Toronto
Thats what you get with Qualcomm.
Qualcomm, TSMC, and device manufacturers all have to make a profit.
For Apple, it's just TSMC and Apple. They can afford to squeeze more onto each chip.

Qualcomm have no interest in making the fastest processor. Cut down to just enough to maximize profit.
Just look at the freaking cache size difference between A12 and 845...

Reminder, Qualcomm has no real competitor due to modem monopoly.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Using Geekbench to decide which side you want to go to is silly. Nowadays the only test that's worth anything is to use them both for a bit and see which one you prefer. There's a lot more to smartphone satisfaction than raw CPU scores, that's for sure.

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
Too bad iPhone loses to what really matters besides a paper benchmark.
[doublepost=1547690176][/doublepost]
Samsung needs to switch to their own Exynos chips. I hear they are higher performance than the Snapdragon parts.

They stick with the Snapdragon parts because they need Qualcomm modems in the USA for VZW and Sprint. They don't have the nads to take on Qualcomm like Apple does.
Not anymore since the S9, Snapdragon beats the Exynos in both performance and battery life.

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
Real world tests tell the truth.....and the latest snapdragons as of late typically outperform apples processors. You guys are stuck in a gated box and cant do half of the things your supposedly speedy processor is capable of. So android fans are feeling great......

No one outside of this forum will be benchmarking their devices as long as its fast and smooth. Your processors are really only useful on the iPads and that's barely since it doesnt even take advantage of the so called power and capabilities you boast about.

This comes from a guy with a fully loaded new iPad pro....

Last edited:

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
“Given that both the A12 and the Snapdragon 855 are super fast processors able to handle gaming and day to day tasks with ease, Android users won't be at a serious disadvantage.”

Android users are always at a disadvantage. :apple:
Did your battery run out while typing that comment? :rolleyes:

Reactions: TheRealDGD

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
Expected here (there was much talk about ARM, I believe, helping), and Qualcomm seriously narrowed the performance gap (and I'm no Qualcomm apologist). Good for the industry overall - although it'll be less fun with Apple not just absolutely trouncing Qual's CPU's (and Android CPU's in general).

Now its time for Apple to start doing the same back when it comes to GPU's on the smartphones (Snapdragons have been outperforming there for a while).

“Given that both the A12 and the Snapdragon 855 are super fast processors able to handle gaming and day to day tasks with ease, Android users won't be at a serious disadvantage.”

Android users are always at a disadvantage. :apple:

Thanks for the best comment of the day.

Last edited:
Reactions: FightTheFuture

sshambles

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2005
Australia
Because of course it does. One day they’ll realise strapping bucketloads of RAM won’t help overall speed or performance as much as they expect it to.

acorntoy

macrumors 68010
May 25, 2010
Did your battery run out while typing that comment? :rolleyes:
The contrast to the best Android SoCs have to offer is extremely stark - both in terms of performance as well as in power efficiency. Apple's SoCs have better energy efficiency than all recent Android SoCs while having a nearly 2x performance advantage.

Thanks to some good engineering, nope. ;)

It seems however your trying to refer to the throttling debacle though, in which case your comment still doesn't make much sense, as that was done as a way to prevent the phone from randomly turning off...

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
The new Samsung hasn't even caught up to the 2017 iPhone X.

View attachment 816106
Too bad it throttles...
In real world performance the difference is almost nothing that even my S8+ opens Apps faster than my X.
[doublepost=1547691404][/doublepost]
i don't think the notch is ugly, but necessary. But just take a look at Samsungs housings...
Necessary? There's no necessity in having that cut on the top, just use a slimmer bezel.

acorntoy

macrumors 68010
May 25, 2010
Too bad it throttles...
In real world performance the difference is almost nothing that even my S8+ opens Apps faster than my X.

I still haven't actually seen an A11 chip be throttled, and Apple has stated that it will be significantly less on them than past models due to design improvements, unless you can find one we really don't what kind of hit the X/8 will take after a degraded battery. It certainly won't be as bad as the 6/6S

I made a thread trying to find one, but couldn't at the time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.