Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Samsung today held a press conference at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, where the company announced new rose gold and platinum variants of its Samsung Gear S2 smart watch and pledged future iOS support for the device.

First introduced in August, the Gear S2 is Samsung's newest smart watch and its first with a round display. The Gear S2 was originally available in black or silver with matching leather or rubber bands, but later this year, Samsung will also introduce high-end 18-karat rose gold and platinum plated versions, made from real precious metals much like the Apple Watch Edition.

samsunggear2.jpg

At the current time, the Gear S2, which runs Samsung's Tizen operating system, is compatible only with Samsung smartphones, but that's set to change. Samsung says that later in the year, it will "bring the Gear S2 to iOS," allowing it to compete with the Apple Watch on Apple's own platform. Samsung didn't share additional details on when iOS compatibility might be implemented.

Samsung announced several other products at CES, including a Surface Pro-style 12-inch Galaxy Tab Pro S tablet that runs Windows 10 and two very thin Notebook 9 ultrabooks. The Tab Pro S, which weighs 1.5 pounds, features a 2160 x 1440 Super AMOLED display, an Intel Core M processor, 4GB RAM, and up to 256GB storage.

samsungces2016.jpg

Samsung's Notebook 9 laptops are available in 13.3 and 15-inch sizes, with the smaller of the two weighing in at 1.85 pounds, which is lighter than the Retina MacBook. The larger version weighs 2.84 pounds, and both feature a 1080p display. Max specs for the Notebook 9 laptop includes a Core i7 CPU, 256GB flash storage, and 8GB RAM. Pricing and release info on Samsung's NoteBook 9 laptops and the Galaxy Tab Pro S is not yet available.

Article Link: Samsung to Add iOS Support to Gear S2 Smart Watch Later This Year

Reactions: xerexes1

bwillwall

Suspended
Dec 24, 2009
Samsung always manages to impress me at how ugly their designs are. I always expect them to improve the looks, after all they're good at making functional things with many features and all. But even with their wallpaper photos, their designs are so 90s looking.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
I do like that they have hidden the bezel for the display under the metal trim of the watch
[doublepost=1452036999][/doublepost]
Samsung always manages to impress me at how ugly their designs are. I always expect them to improve the looks, after all they're good at making functional things with many features and all. But even with their wallpaper photos, their designs are so 90s looking.

its a watch, most people find watches from way before the 90s to be very attractive

Reactions: attila and MrXiro

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
That Notebook 9 sounds impressive. 1.84lbs? That's amazingly light. And apparently it's using ULV i5 and i7 CPUs (not a Core-M) with active cooling, so the performance should be good. I wonder how much battery life they can squeeze into such a super-thin notebook though.

appledefenceforce

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2015
The biggest flop in the past few years has been the Samsung smartwatches. They launched it to preempt Apple and yet after all these years they still haven't got it right. And of course the moment Apple launched the Apple Watch they immediately copied the software look.

But of course only Apple Watch is "the most disappointing product of 2015". :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
That Notebook 9 sounds impressive. 1.84lbs? That's amazingly light. And apparently it's using ULV i5 and i7 CPUs (not a Core-M) with active cooling, so the performance should be good. I wonder how much battery life they can squeeze into such a super-thin notebook though.
To be fair, they've only got 1080p displays, even the 15". Might save some battery power to drive.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
So I'm assuming this smart watch will be similar to Android Wear in terms of the experience on iOS?

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Samsung's Notebook 13-inch ain't too bad, still lighter than the MBA..

Dunno why the Macbook Pro Retina was a good comparison, if u'r comparing weight.

Reactions: AleXXXa

Sheza

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2010
Design of the watch faces - pretty awful
What I do like about the Gear S2 (& bear in mind I am an Apple Watch owner) is the rotating bezel. It's actually not a gimmick, and is, I found, more reliable than swiping up and across as you do on the Watch. Also, it's fast. Super fast. Watch OS2 is an improvement but still stutters a lot.

The Gear S2 is miles ahead of the junk that Samsung put out a few years ago. It's only taken them the launch of a smartwatch from their biggest competitor to get them to kick it up a notch.

Of course, band customisation and overall support will never match the Apple Watch. Just my 2 cents having used both.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I see Huawei just announced two new smartwatches...Elegant and Jewel selling for $499 and $599. Interesting that instead of going cheap these Android OEMs are competing with Watch steel.

CX-l-aZWcAIVQyX.jpg

Huawei-Watch-Jewel_1.jpg

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Why? I quit wearing my Apple Watch after a month, and switched to Gear S2. It's much better overall than the Apple Watch.
I don't like how the display is recessed. And the design of the bezel on these is kind of ugly IMO. I think they work better on the more sporty version of the watch.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I see Huawei just announced two new smartwatches...Elegant and Jewel selling for $499 and $599. Interesting that instead of going cheap these Android OEMs are competing with Watch steel.

My guess is that they regret going downmarket with phones and see going upscale with watches as a way to stay profitable.

Reactions: FriendlyMackle

driceman

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2012

CX-l-aZWcAIVQyX.jpg

Huawei-Watch-Jewel_1.jpg

I noticed that before Apple entered the market the price range seemed to be exclusively $100-200, with the focus being on it being a cool gadget rather than actually looking good.

When Apple entered, they considered that a watch is a fashion statement and tried to make one that was both a cool gadget AND a fashion statement (I quite like the look of my Watch- although this is one of the few Apple products where I genuinely think it could do with being a bit thinner just to improve the looks). Now pricing is creeping right up so it's more of a "luxury" product than a gadget. Not that any of the tech companies have contemplated making a $10,000 gold watch except Apple. :p

Reactions: KPOM

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
I'll be surprised if Apple allows a competitor's watch to operate on iOS in a native fashion.

More likely it will operate over an app and with limitations as to the depth of its access and integration into the iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.