Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

sandisk_ixpand-250x205.jpg
Similar to the Kickstarter-funded iStick from earlier in the year, SanDisk today announced the iXpand Flash Drive. The drive allows users to easily transfer photos, videos, and other files between an iOS device with a Lightning connector and a desktop or notebook with a normal USB port.

When the flash drive is plugged into an iPhone or iPad, the iXpand sync app is launched and can be configured to automatically sync photos and videos from the device's camera roll to the flash drive. Entire movies (including most popular non-native and PC-friendly formats, like AVI and WMV) can also be stored on the iXpand and played from the flash drive directly onto the iPhone or iPad.
"According to IDC, nearly three-quarters of all images are now captured on smartphones and tablets," said Dinesh Bahal, vice president, product marketing, SanDisk. "With this significant increase in mobile-generated content, consumers are looking for easy ways to manage it all. In fact, our research shows that 82% of U.S. smartphone users find transferring photos, videos, music and other files to be very important to them. We created the iXpand Flash Drive to offer consumers a quick and safe way to move their favorite content between devices so it's available when and where they want it."
The flash drive also offers users an added layer of security in cross-platform encryption. While in the iXpand sync app [Direct Link], files can be password protected while the drive is connected to an iPhone or iPad, then decrypted on a Mac or PC and vice versa.

Available in 16GB, 32GB, and 64GB sizes, the iXpand Flash Drive is compatible with the iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5, iPad Air 2, iPad Air, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 2, and iPad mini running iOS 8 or iOS 7.

The 16GB and 64GB versions of the drive can be purchased directly off of SanDisk's official website today and sell for $59.99 and $119.99 respectively. Beginning November 16, Best Buy will exclusively sell the 32GB version in retail and on their website for $79.99.

Article Link: SanDisk iXpand Flash Drive Offers USB and Lightning Connectors for Easy File Transfers

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
They should have a bloody USB port on the side and a proper filesystem.

MacOG728893

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
Seems pointless when you have options like drop box. I see it working if you're using larger file formats, but even then, cloud services seem like they could be a viable solution instead.

r-m

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2010
This is a product area where smaller is better. Look at the size of that thing!
Bye bye neighbouring ports on a laptop.
Surely they could've made it longer and fitted the extra bits within the width of a "normal" width USB stick?!

bubbleboil

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2014
If it only works with photo and video, it's rather useless?

What about other files like documents, songs etc?

AlecZ

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2014
Berkeley, CA
I just connect it to my Mac and use DiskAid for those extremely rare cases where I need to transfer arbitrary files. OpenSSH works too (but that requires a jailbreak).

citi

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2006
Simi Valley, CA
I was thinking USB and Thunderbolt. I don't care about Lightning.

Well the product is specifically designed for mobile devices...not sure how thunderbolt would play in to that.

----------

I just connect it to my Mac and use DiskAid for those extremely rare cases where I need to transfer arbitrary files. OpenSSH works too (but that requires a jailbreak).

Or you could just use the mac native image capture app. Just plug your phone into your computer and drag and drop. I'm not sure why Apple doesn't advertise it.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
A wifi drive that serves as a router with a regular (non micro) SD card slot is a better deal. It costs a lot less too.

I stream video from it in Infuse, I hold my various fonts, image resources, pdfs, pubs, etc that I can open within Readdle's Documents, Goodreader, whatever, and when the wifi is REALLY bad or non-exsistant, I can get stuff from the iPhone into the iPad. This is where "Open In" comes in handy.

Best thing is that it doesn't have to stick out of my device. I can just turn it on and leave it in my bag or whatever. Plus, it doubles as a battery pack.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
A wifi drive that serves as a router with a regular (non micro) SD card slot is a better deal. It costs a lot less too.

I stream video from it in Infuse, I hold my various fonts, image resources, pdfs, pubs, etc that I can open within Readdle's Documents, Goodreader, whatever, and when the wifi is REALLY bad or non-exsistant, I can get stuff from the iPhone into the iPad. This is where "Open In" comes in handy.

Best thing is that it doesn't have to stick out of my device. I can just turn it on and leave it in my bag or whatever. Plus, it doubles as a battery pack.

The moment someone develops one of these that supports zero-config AirDrop they'll have my cash.

jblongz

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2013
NYC
I hope it comes with an option to delete photos from iPhone after importing :rolleyes:

Last edited:

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Well the product is specifically designed for mobile devices...not sure how thunderbolt would play in to that.

The article appears on the front page on mobile. I saw the headline, and went straight to look for the sizes, as I am interested in buying a fast 512GB stick that is not too expensive.

Superman730

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2012
What I don't get is how it all works. They say it's an easy way to quickly free up space on your iPhone or iPad. This to me means that it will unload the pics you've taken onto the USB stick and then you in theory have them backed up to the USB drive. And then... Their app deletes the files or I still have to go in and delete them? Will that remove the pictures from my PhotoStream? I need some hands on reviews before I would use this... but it's an interesting idea.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.