Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Classic160

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2016
Great White North
Just bought a used Classic that has a nasty scratch on the screen. I was wondering if that's actually the lcd screen unit there or is it a glass panel on top of the lcd unit? Since I will be opening the ipod up soon to replace a faulty hdd, I could swap out the glass/lcd if it's not a big deal.

The iPod in question is a late-2009 Classic 160Gb. I've been reading up on this but haven't been able to determine yet if I can just put a replacement glass in or if I need the swap the entire lcd unit.

repentix

macrumors regular
May 26, 2013
Just bought a used Classic that has a nasty scratch on the screen. I was wondering if that's actually the lcd screen unit there or is it a glass panel on top of the lcd unit? Since I will be opening the ipod up soon to replace a faulty hdd, I could swap out the glass/lcd if it's not a big deal.

The iPod in question is a late-2009 Classic 160Gb. I've been reading up on this but haven't been able to determine yet if I can just put a replacement glass in or if I need the swap the entire lcd unit.
Its the Front unit you need to replace, about 10$ on ebay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.