Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Is it better than touch id ? Advantages/disadvantages ?

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Not at the expense of removing Touch ID/home button since gestures get falsely triggered too often with swipe up from bottom while playing games so it works out that they kept Touch ID on the iPad 7th gen. Now only if there's a way to disable gestures while in games and use home button only instead to get out. Maybe with jailbreak?

Last edited:

Cashmonee

macrumors 65832
May 27, 2006
I have had my 11” Pro for just a few days, but so far I am rather liking FaceID on it. I was hesitant because so many reported a poor experience, but it is working great for me.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Love it and would never go back to Touch ID with a home button.

I've seen some people complain about Face ID because their hand blocks the camera when they're holding it. I never use my iPad like that so it doesn't affect me.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I used to say I could care less about getting a device with it but now with it on my phone & 12.9 Pro iPad, I want it on every device. I now dislike the Touch ID on my 10.5 Pro. It's just incredibly convenient and works well for me.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
I used to say I could care less about getting a device with it but now with it on my phone & 12.9 Pro iPad, I want it on every device. I now dislike the Touch ID on my 10.5 Pro. It's just incredibly convenient and works well for me.

Yep. My old IPP feels very primitive to me.

VineRider

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2018
Really like it on my iPad Pro 11. Really nice when using password managers and banking apps for verification

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Pros - slimmer bezels, autofill for passwords is awesome, can unlock iPad via Smart Keyboard by pressing spacebar twice.

Cons - can't unlock iPad resting on table at waist height while standing (Face ID doesn't have that great a range).

Generally more pros and cons overall.

Reactions: millydog

Aydy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2015
I hate to be that guy but..I hated faceID (12.9) I imagine it’d be far more convenient on the 11” but for me it was problematic on the 12.9. I mostly hold my iPad and found that it continually failed due to a thumb or loose sleeve covering the sensor or asked me to look down if I was unintentionally holding the iPad in wrong orientation (surprisingly easy & often). In the end it felt like I was constantly manoeuvring the heft of the iPad up & down to find my face. I honestly hated it and was actually a relief to go back to home button. I do however love faceid on my iPhone, which never fails, I think because there are visual cues to orientation (notch/earpiece) which are missing on iPad

bobsamm

Suspended
Oct 6, 2019
It's better on a iPhone for sure as you hold it closer to you and sensors are on top, not a good enough reason to go back to a home button though.
You can turn Require attention for Face ID off helps.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I like it a lot better on the phone than I did on my iPP. It just always seemed to be in the wrong position. Now, once I was in it and using it, it was awesome for opening apps and stuff, but I found that actually getting into the iPad could sometimes be more of a pain (if you call an extra second or two a pain). ;-p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.