Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
I was in the Great Indoors on the 5th - the day after Labor Day - and they had Christmas decorations out. Disturbing. Why bother even taking them down?

Of course, we've been shooting Christmas scenes for month's now, so no big surprise there.

L

Lau

I was in Woolworths the other day. It was the 2nd of September, and they had an aisle of Christmas decorations.

Now I know some people who buy their presents from about now onwards, and personally I think this is insane, but I can see why someone might want to if they want to be hyper-organised, and don't want to miss out on stuff. But Christmas decorations? Now? Madness.

As for my family, any mention of it is banned until December, and we don't decorate until less than a week before. It makes it so much more Christmassy if you actually do all that stuff near the time.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
We started thinking up ideas for our work Christmas card today. This year we've decided to get it designed, printed and out of the way early, rather than the usual practice of forgetting about it until the second week in December and then rushing the bloody thing...

Rest assured it won't actually be posted out until December, though. ;)

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
Lau said:
I was in Woolworths the other day. It was the 2nd of September, and they had an aisle of Christmas decorations.

Now I know some people who buy their presents from about now onwards, and personally I think this is insane, but I can see why someone might want to if they want to be hyper-organised, and don't want to miss out on stuff. But Christmas decorations? Now? Madness.

As for my family, any mention of it is banned until December, and we don't decorate until less than a week before. It makes it so much more Christmassy if you actually do all that stuff near the time.

Where the hell is there a Woolworths and how far do I need to go to get there?

Allotriophagy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 5, 2006
Pfft. All that is nothing. I am already receiving cards and Round Robins for 2009.

IT'S NOT LIKE IN THE OLDEN DAYS ANY MORE.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Jaffa Cake said:
We started thinking up ideas for our work Christmas card today.

We started last week. It all starts with a team free-for-all discussion, then I put it together to get it signed off by senior management, teams then have to place their orders and the CEO sets aside a half-day to sign his own batch... Drama.

Last year's was a bit of pricey job. DL size 4pp folded, 300gsm matt art, 4 back 4, matt laminate and spot UV on the outer... came out to about 90p per unit. Think we're trimming our sails this year.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Warbrain said:
Where the hell is there a Woolworths and how far do I need to go to get there?
The UK division was spun off in the 1980s, so it survived its parent's demise and conversion to Foot Locker.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
Blue Velvet said:
Last year's was a bit of pricey job. DL size 4pp folded, 300gsm matt art, 4 back 4, matt laminate and spot UV on the outer... came out to about 90p per unit. Think we're trimming our sails this year.
Blimey! In all honesty, we only started early this year because one of our printers has a bit of an offer on, so we can get ours done a bit cheaper than usual. Otherwise I'd be getting it thrown at me to get sorted in about three months from now... :p

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I was in Wal-Mart last week, and above one of the freezers in the frozen food section, they had a giant inflatable santa claus on display. Doesn't really surprise me though, being wal-mart and all :rolleyes:

atszyman

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2003
The Dallas 'burbs
Danksi said:
I thought we had to endure Halloween first :confused:

You're always supposed to be 3 holidays ahead. You should have had your Halloween decorations/costume picked out before Easter. Before the Fourth of July you should have Thanksgiving planned, and Christmas is free game any time after the 4th. After Halloween it's time for easter candy, after Thanksgiving you need to start getting fireworks, after Christmas starts the hunt for Halloween and the entire cycle starts again....

The whole cycle is slowly shifting backwards though, by my calculations in 50 years you'll have to be 5 holidays ahead, in 75 years things will look sane until you realize that the decorations put out in November are for Christmas of NEXT YEAR.

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
yg17 said:
I was in Wal-Mart last week, and above one of the freezers in the frozen food section, they had a giant inflatable santa claus on display. Doesn't really surprise me though, being wal-mart and all :rolleyes:

... hmmm, probably left over from last year!

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Thanks for the reminder. Have to call the niece to wish her a happy birthday.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.