Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Ive had the series 0 and 3rd and both backs had scratches on the back from just charging I guess I never knew how the back got scratched up like they did.
Was the reason apple went with ceramic case on the back for all watches for durability reasons? Do the ceramic backs of the stainless watches over the years scratch as easily as previous watches?

CreepyAF

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2018
Behind you
Ive had the series 0 and 3rd and both backs had scratches on the back from just charging I guess I never knew how the back got scratched up like they did.
Was the reason apple went with ceramic case on the back for all watches for durability reasons? Do the ceramic backs of the stainless watches over the years scratch as easily as previous watches?

it's for better reception. the glass part will scratch, as evidenced by those with the milanese loop.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
it's for better reception. the glass part will scratch, as evidenced by those with the milanese loop.
Not sure how all my previous watches end up with super fine micro scratches I think it’s just from slightly moving it on the charger over the years. This new ceramic case won’t help with that?

Starship67

Suspended
Oct 28, 2017
LA
Not sure how all my previous watches end up with super fine micro scratches I think it’s just from slightly moving it on the charger over the years. This new ceramic case won’t help with that?
Yes the new ceramic back and sapphire crystal back will help.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

Generally, ceramic is fairly durable. It was the composite backs (In another words, plastic) that were scratching easier, and now that they are offering ceramic backings, it also doesn’t interfere with the heart rate sensor either, even though there probably is a price increase, it’s still a ‘win-win’ situation for Apple and the customer.

Reactions: x-evil-x
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.