Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheAnvil

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 25, 2013
I am having significant battery drain for the last few days.

Battery usage and standby time are both the same, currently at nearly 20 hours.

No apps running. Restarted the phone, but makes no difference.

What might be causing this?

acmfaxxe

macrumors regular
Dec 25, 2017
Yes Same for me and my iPhone X. I think its a bug in iOS 11.2(.1). I also tried a restart and to recalibrate the battery. Sometimes it was fine for an few hours but than again usage and standby the same. Hope iOS 11.2.5 will fix this.

Btw. I dont think that my battery performance is worse. Only a problem/bug in the counter for standby and usage... maybe

Many more people have the problem.

Last edited:

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015

#1. Go into an Apple Store they are all open tomorrow for a free Battery Diagnostic. Take 10 minutes or less don’t make an appointment.
#2. You can Disable All Find My IPhone, Location Services, And Background App Refresh. No reason why Calendar and Calculator Need Data And Location access all the time.
#3. Update Your PRL, or have Your Carrier ReEstablish you on the Network, sounds familiar the issue you are having and it sounds like you are not properly configured on the cell Network and while No programs are running you Cellular Radio is constantly hunting for Anetnnas or better Signal all the time wasting your battery.
#3. Tell us if you have a GSM att or T-Mobile Device or a CDMA Sprint or Verizon Device. Apple partnered with Intel to supply A GSM Radio Chipset And It’s terrible, owners get proven worse Battery and worse reception.
And thanks to Apples lawsuit with Qualcomm IPhone X models only got a generation behind CDMA Radio Chipset For Sprint And Verizon Phones.
So while Owners May have a way Faster IPhone X, a Galaxy S8 or S8+ will get significantly faster Data and use less power doing so because Qualcomm gave Samsung the latest generation Radio Chipset.

TheAnvil

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 25, 2013
#1. Go into an Apple Store they are all open tomorrow for a free Battery Diagnostic. Take 10 minutes or less don’t make an appointment.

I'm in New Zealand, no apple stores here.

#2. You can Disable All Find My IPhone, Location Services, And Background App Refresh. No reason why Calendar and Calculator Need Data And Location access all the time.

Will do.

#3. Update Your PRL, or have Your Carrier ReEstablish you on the Network, sounds familiar the issue you are having and it sounds like you are not properly configured on the cell Network and while No programs are running you Cellular Radio is constantly hunting for Anetnnas or better Signal all the time wasting your battery.

How?

#3. Tell us if you have a GSM att or T-Mobile Device or a CDMA Sprint or Verizon Device. Apple partnered with Intel to supply A GSM Radio Chipset And It’s terrible, owners get proven worse Battery and worse reception.

Model: A1865 which isn't intel, so that's not it either.

TokMok3

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2015
after 5 hours it drained 1% in standby with iOS 11.2

I'm not updating this phone anymore as I did with my other devices, I'm going to keep this device with iOS 11.2 Unless Apple integrate multitasking similar to android phones, then I might upgrade the operating system otherwise I'm happy with iOS 11.2.

I'm waiting for a jailbreak for this powerful device...

Last edited:

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron

Post a screenshot of the battery stats page with details shown. 20 hrs doesnt sound like that is bad.

acmfaxxe

macrumors regular
Dec 25, 2017
It is a bug. There is nothing strange on the battery stats page. Only the time of usage and standby are the same. (In my case)

ContentCruiser

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2017
I'm doing tests on iPhones over the holidays, iPhone 6s (iOS 11.2) is now at 87% (20h 40m), the iPhone X (iOS 11.2.1) at 63% (20h 40m) and SIM is in the iPhone 6s. Got the iPhone X on Launch Day, will be doing benchmarks too and redo the test with the iPhone 6s after update to 11.2.1 and see if there is a difference in performence.
Also got the issue with usage and standby time to be the same on iPhone X (11.2.1)

Reactions: TokMok3

TheAnvil

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 25, 2013
Post a screenshot of the battery stats page with details shown. 20 hrs doesnt sound like that is bad.

This might not make the most sense, since I just finished charging the phone.

One picture is of the past 24 hours usage, which is less than 3 hours; another is the usage and standby being the same; and finally a typical day's use - which has been pretty consistent for the past month, until the last few days.

Attachments

• IMG_0053.jpg
    IMG_0053.jpg
    280.5 KB · Views: 264
  • IMG_0066 copy.png
    IMG_0066 copy.png
    545.5 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_0067.png
    IMG_0067.png
    561.1 KB · Views: 284

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
I also had this issue after the last update but didn’t suffer from any battery drain.

A simple battery calibration and she’s been running right since.

acmfaxxe

macrumors regular
Dec 25, 2017
Battery calibration (100% down to auto power off and again up to 100%) didnt work for me. After a few hours the same problem. Maybe a bug in an App?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.