Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Singer/songwriter Shawn Mendes has broken the latest Apple Music record, with his self-titled third album becoming the most-streamed pop album of 2018 in under one week (via Billboard). Released on May 25, the new Shawn Mendes album was accompanied by a collection of bonus material on Apple Music, including a Beats 1 interview with Zane Lowe, exclusive live concert and Q&A session, playlists, and more.

shawn-mendes-apple-music-2.jpg

The previous record holder for most-streamed pop album of 2018 was Justin Timberlake's "Man of the Woods," which launched in February. In the wake of the news, Apple Music confirmed that Mendes has also surpassed one billion global streams on the music service, encompassing his three studio albums, singles, and live recordings.

There have been a few record breaking stories related to Apple Music this year, most recently with rapper J. Cole breaking the record for most album streams in the first 24 hours in the United States. Prior to that, Cardi B's "Invasion of Privacy" set a new record for first-week streams by a female artist on Apple Music, beating Taylor Swift's "Reputation."

According to the last count, Apple Music has over 50 million users total, combining those paying for the service and anyone on a free trial. The last specific paid count sat at 40 million in April, compared to 71 million listeners paying for Spotify.

Apple Music isn't tipped for a major revamp in iOS 12, but beta testers have discovered that artist profiles will be slightly upgraded in the new software with bigger portraits and a handy shuffle-all Play button. Subscribers will also be able to search for some songs even if they only know a snippet of the track's lyrics.

Article Link: Shawn Mendes Breaks Apple Music Record to Become Most-Streamed Pop Album of 2018 in One Week

trusso

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2003
Just a famous artist who makes more money per minute than those who ask "who?" ever will.
Yes, but whether he or anyone else deserves such ludicrous amounts of money when most of us are working harder and earning less... well, something to think about there.

And anyway: "Who?" :p

Reactions: Saipher

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
Yes, but whether he or anyone else deserves such ludicrous amounts of money when most of us are working harder and earning less... well, something to think about there.

That's so selfish to say, artists work hard aswell and it's not as easy as you make it seem like. Telling someone one deserves to earn less or more is ridiculous and selfish.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place

Working harder? Based on...
I don't know bud. Sounds a little like sour grapes based on life choices. I mean, you chose to do whatever it is you do. Probably a lot safer and more reasonable than entering an industry where almost all either fail and have to resort to doing something else or almost all fail and have to resort to doing something else.;)

Before judging something something miles... something something shoes. :D

Spendlove

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2015
Cambridge UK
That sinking feeling when the realisation hits you smack in the face - you know you're suddenly old and utterly out of touch with a whole generation because I have never heard of him until now! Well done to him though.

I was young once. I was! I swear. :oops:

Edit - how long have I got before I become an old man shaking my fist at clouds? :(

Reactions: rynx9 and Weaselboy

earthTOmitchel

Contributing Editor
Staff member
Mar 6, 2015
Louisiana
Congratulations! Great artist. Been following his career since his vine days.
I only started listening to him earlier in the year, one of his early songs popped up in my Chill Mix. I really like his first album, thought Illuminate was kinda meh, but damn the new one is pretty remarkable imo.

Reactions: Starship67

toph2toast

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2011

Just curious what kind of experience you have an in the music industry to know that he isn't working as hard, or harder, than most of us.

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2016
At least he can sing and play instruments unlike many of those autotuned douchbags
Honestly though is there something bad with using software that enhance's your voice? Obviously it's something you'd want to move on from and not rely on, but it's really stupid to write thoughtful lyrics, come up with a melody for it, and then have your voice derail it

CarpalMac

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2012
UK

If it's that easy and financially rewarding, why don't you go and do it then rather than moaning about "working harder"?

BoulderAdonis

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2012
Palo Alto, CA

The reality is - those who chose scalable professions stand to make ludicrous amounts of money...if they hit. Song writers. Writers. Traders.

Interesting link on the subject: http://casnocha.com/2009/03/scalable-vs-non-scalable-careers.html

But:
“A scalable profession is good only if you are successful; they are more competitive, produce monstrous inequalities, and are far more random with huge disparities between efforts and rewards — a few can take a large share of the pie, leaving others out entirely at no fault of their own.

One category of profession is driven by the mediocre, the average, and the middle-of-the-road. In it, the mediocre is collectively consequential. The other has either giants or dwarves — more precisely, a very small number of giants and a huge number of dwarves.”

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.