Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Edd70

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 16, 2018
I’ve been having big data use issues that made no sense for about 6 weeks. More recently, I’ve had battery drain problems. This is on an iPhone SE 2, which is obviously pretty new.

So today I finally check settings for battery use, and I see this.

a9a13b620383a210e70bad1f4eb0df57.jpg

69% battery use by Shazam, an app I use maybe twice a month. Has anyone else seen this? I deleted the app immediately, because that’s insane.

Edd70

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 16, 2018
You could have just switched off background activity for that app rather than delete it.

I’ll take your word for that, but can an app with that much use be trusted to begin with? I had it open for 30 seconds yesterday.

To be clear, I’ve had Shazam for years, but what the hell? What background activity could it be doing?

DieselFiend1989

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2019
I would be contacting the shazam dev’s and asking what exactly is going on. I would also have taken the same action as the op and deleted the app, because no I do not believe that is reasonable. That being said, turning off the background activity should be adequate. I just personally do not even care to support any app/dev that puts out garbage, whether it is intentional or from lack of attention in the app development. I would also be concerned with what data is being sent where and why. Its risky enough just having ones data on ANY brand device that is always online.. If I wanted to have my data mined... I would purchase my devices from a company better known for such things. Ok, spiel over... poorly designed or intentionally deceptive apps are a pet peeve of mine.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I’ve been having big data use issues that made no sense for about 6 weeks. More recently, I’ve had battery drain problems. This is on an iPhone SE 2, which is obviously pretty new.

69% battery use by Shazam, an app I use maybe twice a month. Has anyone else seen this? I deleted the app immediately, because that’s insane.
Are you using the latest iOS update?

Reactions: DieselFiend1989

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa

Shazam has a bad habit of sitting in the background after being used, I have noticed it a few times on my 11 Pro Max.

You will always need to ensure you close it after using it, even if Background App Refresh is off.

Edd70

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 16, 2018
Shazam has a bad habit of sitting in the background after being used, I have noticed it a few times on my 11 Pro Max.

You will always need to ensure you close it after using it, even if Background App Refresh is off.

Yeah, I’ll probably reinstall it at some point to try again. Shazam is one of the all-time coolest apps, IMO. Since Siri uses it, I may not need to have it installed? Not sure about that, but I’ll try today.

Reactions: Tsepz

Edd70

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 16, 2018
Turns out Siri doesn’t need Shazam installed as a separate app so, maybe I’ll skip it. Phone updated with latest OS version and battery issue is gone. Pretty sure Shazam was the culprit, based on the screenshot above.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Turns out Siri doesn’t need Shazam installed as a separate app so, maybe I’ll skip it. Phone updated with latest OS version and battery issue is gone. Pretty sure Shazam was the culprit, based on the screenshot above.
There were various apps that different people saw similar issues with in iOS 13.5 here and there. Seems like whatever might have been behind that issue isn't there in iOS 13.6.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.