Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

small-shazam-transfer.jpg
Nearly one year after Apple announced its acquisition of music recognition service Shazam, and one month since the acquisition was completed, Shazam has now begun informing users of Apple's plans with their data (via iGeneration). You can see the new splash screen if you have a Shazam account and open up the app.

If you've created a Shazam account in the past, which allows you to share Shazams between devices, this data will now move to Apple and fall under the protection of Apple's Privacy Policy. This has been expected since Apple completed the acquisition, but now we're one step closer to Apple's overhaul of Shazam, which will remove all ads from the app.

Shazam explains that if you don't want your data to be automatically transferred, you can delete your Shazam account within the app. This will erase all personal data associated with Shazam, including your email address and connected Facebook account. Shazams will remain in the app but they will no longer sync between devices and they will be gone if you delete and reinstall Shazam.

The company points out that analytics logs and how you used Shazam won't be erased even if you delete your account, but the logs will no longer be personally identifiable at that time. If you never created a Shazam account and continue to use Shazam under Apple's ownership, any Shazams recorded will not be associated with you.

At the time of the acquisition announcement, Apple said that it was "thrilled" for the Shazam team to be joining Apple. Down the line, the company hinted that users can expect more integration with Apple Music and Shazam: "Apple Music and Shazam are a natural fit, sharing a passion for music discovery and delivering great music experiences to our users. We have exciting plans in store, and we look forward to combining with Shazam upon approval of today's agreement."

Article Link: Shazam Informing Users About Apple Acquisition, Account Data Now Aligned With Apple's Privacy Policy

stoopkidblues

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2014
So, how long will it be before we get “always on Shazam” in Siri?

That’s the only reason I can see this acquisition as useful. The way it works on the Mac is great as I never have to fumble around trying to identify that spilt Adult Swim bump. ;)

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
The other day I was watching season 2 of “The Deuce” on HBO.

Curious what the opening song was I asked Siri. She took a while then apologized for not knowing.

The song still had a few seconds left so I quickly opened my trusty soundhog app and it identified the song in a second.

The lyrics were not even playing anymore either.

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
That’s the only reason I can see this acquisition as useful. The way it works on the Mac is great as I never have to fumble around trying to identify that spilt Adult Swim bump. ;)

Apple bought Shazam to collect user data. Opposite of respecting privacy. I don't want Apple to know what I listen to.

lec0rsaire

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2017
Excellent. I hope ads are ditched soon for Apple users only. Give the Android people a second helping on us!
[doublepost=1540484633][/doublepost]
Apple bought Shazam to collect user data. Opposite of respecting privacy. I don't want Apple to know what I listen to.

It’s music. What does it matter? Privacy is important for your address book, photos, notes and documents.

Reactions: martyjmclean

ikramerica

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2009
Depends why. If apple uses the data to suggests artists you might like in Apple Music and iTunes Store, I think that’s a good thing? Shazam was using the data to serve ads to you, which means giving the data to the ad companies and/or advertisers

stoopkidblues

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2014

Meh, I’d rather Apple have access to my info than Shazam selling it off for monetary gain. Apple’s respect for user privacy is more in line with the consumer in mind than 3rd parties and at the very least this will assist in beefing up Apple Music and Siri so I’m for it.

redbeard331

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
Worthless when they won’t even fix the crashing issue that happens 100% of the time.

killhippie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2016
UK
Worthless when they won’t even fix the crashing issue that happens 100% of the time.
Hasn’t crashed on me in well it’s so long I can’t remember. I bought the Encore add free version years ago when it was reduced in price. Can’t even remember how much it was now but 99p springs to mind.

___joshuaturner

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2017
Curious to see how they plan to integrate Shazam into iOS.

One feature I really do like from Android is the live music detection on the lockscreen, it'd be interesting to see if something like that is possible without destroying privacy.

Reactions: arkitect

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Curious to see how they plan to integrate Shazam into iOS.

One feature I really do like from Android is the live music detection on the lockscreen, it'd be interesting to see if something like that is possible without destroying privacy.
I think this is the next logical step for Apple with the Shazam acquisition…

Of course we all know that Apple will spin it as something they (Apple) invented and first to market yadda yadda.

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
Just used Shazam the other day to see what the end of a show was playing. Took 2 seconds. Had to email it to myself as the other options didn’t seem to let you store it somewhere so you can consider buying it later.

martyjmclean

Cancelled
Jan 24, 2018
Just used Shazam the other day to see what the end of a show was playing. Took 2 seconds. Had to email it to myself as the other options didn’t seem to let you store it somewhere so you can consider buying it later.
Wot. You can easily add your Spotify/Apple Music to Shazam so you can add it to your library. The ‘My Shazam’ tab also keeps a history of all your Shazams.

idrewuk

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2008
It seems weird that you can only choose Spotify or Apple Music, one at a time. I have both and would like the option to save to either.

Has anybody tried Shazam-ing a printed advert? That's where things could get interesting. I saw an ad recently in Time Out with a Shazam icon (a little like a QR code) - you use the camera within the app and it brought the page to life with AR content and extra information.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.