Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Shipping estimates for new orders of the 21.5-inch and 27-inch iMac dramatically improved today, with both models now shipping in 1-3 days from the online Apple Stores in Canada and the United States.

imacshiptimes.jpg
In January, shipping times for the 21.5-inch iMac slipped to 2-3 weeks, and the 27-inch iMac has been in short supply since its November release. The supply shortage has been attributed to issues with display production resulting from a new lamination process.

During Apple's first quarter financial call, Tim Cook noted that iMac supply constraints in the fourth quarter had impacted sales results. He expected supplies to increase during Q1 2013, which was confirmed in late January with a report that assembly rates for the iMac had been improved.

Apple's redesigned iMac is considerably thinner than its predecessor, with 40 percent less volume and a 5mm edge. The newly implemented lamination process provides improved optical quality and an anti-reflective coating.

Update: As noted by MacRumors forum members, changing the base configuration of the iMac results in a shipping time of 2-3 weeks.

Article Link: Shipping Estimates for 21.5-Inch and 27-Inch iMac Drop to 1-3 Days in US and Canada

komodrone

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
I'm already waiting for the next generation to come out. Because the iMacs are still too fat and I believe my life will be vastly improved when the iMac is paper thin. The iMac should float too, I'm sick of the stand.

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
I guess the wait period for the new Mac Pro is coming to an end soon.
Top-line iMacs will not be the kings for long.

camnchar

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2006
I'm already waiting for the next generation to come out. Because the iMacs are still too fat and I believe my life will be vastly improved when the iMac is paper thin. The iMac should float too, I'm sick of the stand.

Steve Jobs would never have allowed the iMac to get fatter in the middle than it is on the edges.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
Just checked the Apple site and it still had the 3-4 weeks wait for the 27" models.

I'm waiting for the 2015 iMac which will be a just the chin part sitting on your desk (for the CPU, SSD, RAM and other parts) with the screen projected above it. With full on 'screen' gesture controls of course ;)

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
This is good news; I'm waiting for the new Thinderbolt Display - which I don't think will come anytime before the iMacs are under control. And it seems that, now, perhaps they are!#

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
If you custom anything, the 1-3 days changes to 2-3 weeks, though. Heck, even changing the processor = 2-3 weeks.

macaddict06

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2006
about 3 meters from here. *points*
I'm waiting for the 2015 iMac which will be a just the chin part sitting on your desk (for the CPU, SSD, RAM and other parts) with the screen projected above it. With full on 'screen' gesture controls of course ;)

No way. That chin is way to fat to be a desktop. What's the point of having a desktop if it's some 2 pound monstrosity? Steve would never have allowed that.

The 2015 iMac will be worn and projected from your wrist. Why else would they be working on curved glass?

Also, priced at 79.99. You heard it here first.

Dr Charter

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011
Oklahoma

I agree. I also won't be happy until I can't upgrade anything myself. They still have that unsightly RAM compartment on the 27 inch model.

DCJ001

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2007
No way. That chin is way to fat to be a desktop. What's the point of having a desktop if it's some 2 pound monstrosity? Steve would never have allowed that.

The 2015 iMac will be worn and projected from your wrist. Why else would they be working on curved glass?

Also, priced at 79.99. You heard it here first.

And last!

Nismo73

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2013
If you custom anything, the 1-3 days changes to 2-3 weeks, though. Heck, even changing the processor = 2-3 weeks.

They probably have enough of the standard configs that are sent to the store, that now they have them in inventory ready to be shipped.

Yelmurc

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2008
Houston TX
Glad to see them finally catching up with demand. Since they where constrained last quarter I'm curious to see how the January-March quarters Mac sales turn out.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
I will be very excited when they finally update the TBD.

I won't be able to afford it, but I will be very excited.

Casiotone

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2008
Yeah, Apple is so stupid to waste their time and energy making iMacs thinner and lighter, it's not useful for a desktop computer! :rolleyes:

6a0120a5580826970c0133f34442aa970b-800wi

Paclypse71

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2012
San Diego
This is good news; I'm waiting for the new Thinderbolt Display - which I don't think will come anytime before the iMacs are under control. And it seems that, now, perhaps they are!��

I will be very excited when they finally update the TBD.

I won't be able to afford it, but I will be very excited.

I'm also waiting for a new Thunderbolt Display, but as soon as I hear confirmation that the new one doesn't support VESA mounting (As is the case with the new iMacs), I'll be on my way to pick up the existing model. I don't care how thin the new one is if it doesn't support this basic and often required function like every other display on the market.

Last edited:

Navdakilla

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2011
Canada
Finally got to see one for the first time in person the other day.
To be honest I don't see a VAST improvement over the previous models.
I was not impressed.

SAdProZ

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2005
I'm surprised at how short sighted some macrumors readers are. In 20-30 years every computer will in essence be a smart display. That is the direction of innovation. Like it or not. So Apple starts moving towards that and some people can't grasp it. Form is function. If you can't comprehend that, that's not Apple's fault. Get over yourselves.

----------

Yeah, Apple is so stupid to waste their time and energy making iMacs thinner and lighter, it's not useful for a desktop computer! :rolleyes:

Thank you! I don't think some readers think past tomorrow.

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2011
I think their in-store lack of availability is a major downfall for Apple. I would have bought an iPhone 5, an ipad mini, and a 27: imac over the last few months if they had been in stock when I walked into the store. We go to the mall a lot, and I am ready to impulse buy.

But time and time again they are out on display, but sold out. The staff always says to go home and order online as "its the best way". I agree with them that is is the best way...

But, Apple is about to be an online store only... and leave their walk-in stores as merely locations to "see" new stuff, and "buy" old stuff...

The newness wears off, and I am in no hurry to but any of the 3 items above that I would absolutely have had they been in stock when I went to buy each of them many times in the first few weeks of their "in store" availability...

Bummer for Apple, bummer for me. However, I think this is their long-term plan. They know what they are doing... I just wish they would not do it.

cosmicjoke

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2011
Portland, OR
I think their in-store lack of availability is a major downfall for Apple. I would have bought an iPhone 5, an ipad mini, and a 27: imac over the last few months if they had been in stock when I walked into the store. We go to the mall a lot, and I am ready to impulse buy.

But time and time again they are out on display, but sold out. The staff always says to go home and order online as "its the best way". I agree with them that is is the best way...

But, Apple is about to be an online store only... and leave their walk-in stores as merely locations to "see" new stuff, and "buy" old stuff...

The newness wears off, and I am in no hurry to but any of the 3 items above that I would absolutely have had they been in stock when I went to buy each of them many times in the first few weeks of their "in store" availability...

Bummer for Apple, bummer for me. However, I think this is their long-term plan. They know what they are doing... I just wish they would not do it.

Sounds like Apple is protecting you from yourself (i.e. buying junk you don't need just to have something shiny and new before everyone else). You should commend them :p

SAdProZ

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2005

What are you saying? That you're a victim? Theyre not "doing anything." Everyone including investors is upset with them that their supply can't meet demand. They obviously want to sell you a product in-store but they can't make the stuff fast enough. It's not intentional.

Apple store's primary goal is to enhance the buyers process. When you're first made aware of a product you don't just click "purchase" ( although you did say you're an impulse buyer). Well, in general buyers move onto information search, where they seek to assess whether their buying criteria can be met if they make a purchase. Nothing is better than actually experiencing the product pre-purchase. And if you have any questions, having a competent staff person assist in answering questions complements that. Without a store, your buying process suffers. That's the problem Apple had years ago but then solved by opening their own stores. The entire point is to facilitate a sale. In other words: they want to sell you stuff.

But if their newness wears off, you clearly don't need the product. It's a good thing not to make an unnecessary purchase. We could all use less stuff :)

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
Finally got to see one for the first time in person the other day.
To be honest I don't see a VAST improvement over the previous models.
I was not impressed.

Fusion is worth the upgrade IMO, plus the new LED which is much better.

I'm also waiting for a new Thunderbolt Display, but as soon as I hear confirmation that the new one doesn't support VESA mounting (As is the case with the new iMacs), I'll be on my way to pick up the existing model. I don't care how thin the new one is if it doesn't support this basic and often required function like every other display on the market.

I'm sure Apple will keep VESA on their stand alone Displays. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.