Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

solarsnowboard.jpg
Last year, Signal Snowboards made a board with an embedded iPad to honor Steve Jobs. This year, the guys have made a custom snowboard that can charge an iPhone on the slopes, thanks to a top sheet made of thin solar panels from PowerFilm Solar.

The board isn't for sale, but Signal's Marc Wierenga told MacRumors that the panels are extremely durable and the company has some ideas to incorporate them into their extensive lineup of made in the USA snowboards. He says the panels are more than powerful enough to charge something like a GoPro camera, making it easy for boarders to film an entire day of shredding without worrying about battery life.

Article Link: Signal Snowboards' Latest Creation Charges an iPhone on the Slopes

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
I know their special snowboards are just for guerrilla marketing but this is actually a pretty good idea. Whilst not a snowboarder, I do like to ski and have ended up with a dead phone battery after a day's worth of being on the slopes. I don't think batteries hold their charge as well in the cold as they do at room temperature and the spottyness of phone signal certainly makes phones drain faster. Add that to several hours worth of music listening, photo taking and movie making and you can quickly drain your phone battery by mid afternoon.

seecoolguy

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2007
I think I would purchase this product, I can't count the number of times I've returned back from a day of snowboarding w/o any juice left, and these days I use the cell phone to contact the rest of the guys I board with, we long gave up using the walkie talkies. so having extra battery would be ideal :)

bobfitz14

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2008
Massachusetts
I personally don't snowboard/ski but I think this is pretty sweet. I definitely see the value if you're someone who likes to be on the mountain all day.

iRCL

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2011
Or, you could just get one of the battery based charger accessories instead of integrating your iPhone with any equipment used for a day of activity away from a power outlet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.