Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Signify today announced several new Philips Hue branded products, adding to its available line of Hue bulbs and devic

The Philips Hue Smart Plug, priced at $39.99, is designed to turn lamps that aren't compatible with Hue bulbs into smart lamps able to be controlled via the Philips Hue app and HomeKit.

philipssmartplug2.jpg

You can plug any table lamp, floor lamp, or other device into the Smart plug to add it to your Philips Hue setup. The Smart Plug can be switched on or off using the Hue app or HomeKit controls.

A new Philips Hue Smart Button, priced at $19.99, gives you a physical control option for your Philips Hue lights. You can assign a single press to activate whichever lights you want to control, and a press and a hold can brighten or dim the lights.

philipssmartbutton.jpg

Paired with the Philips Hue Bridge, the button can be configured to do things like turning your lights to a preset shade of white and a brightness level that suits the time of day.

In the morning, a press of the Smart Button will turn the lights to cool, energizing shades of white, and in the evening, a button press will trigger warmer, dimmer light settings.

philipssmartbutton2.jpg

The Smart Button features a magnetic backing and an adhesive mini mount so you can put it wherever it's most useful.

Signify is debuting a new Bluetooth version of the Philips Hue Go portable lamp ($79.99), which can be used on its own with the Philips Hue Bluetooth app or added to any standard Philips Hue setup. The new Hue Go option is similar to the existing Hue Go, but with a longer battery life.

philipshuego.jpg

There are also new Bluetooth-enabled versions of the GU10 White and Color Ambiance and White Ambiance bulbs that can be used without a hub over Bluetooth, plus they feature higher lumen output, a new design, and richer colors.

The last new product is a Philips Hue White E12 candle bulb, ideal for ceiling fans, chandeliers, and other similar lights. The new E12 candle bulbs work over Bluetooth or with a Hue Bridge.

The Smart Plug and Smart Button will be launching in October, while the new Hue Go is coming in November. The GU10 spotlights and the E12 candle bulbs will be available starting in September. More info on the new products can be found on the Hue website.

Article Link: Signify Launches New Philips Hue Smart Plug and Smart Button

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
All I wanna do is stick that button on someone’s forehead and pretend they are an android. Ok maybe on their chest then. Still a ****ing Android. Invite folks round and show off haha

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
Id also like to see a smart switch that can replace an existing switch by connecting to the wires. My kitchen has many built-in spots, would be too expensive to replace them all.

They seem to do everything but what customers really want.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
Nope. They do everything I want, and more.

So you don’t want a wired wall switch to replace the ones in your home? Surely you do.

The button is cool and all, can make an android and put it somewhere cool but a wired wall switch is what so many really want. Stop lying, you want one ;)

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
I expect that these will be limited to controlling Hue devices instead of being a generic HomeKit compatible button. Hue is great for many of my rooms, but for larger banks of lights I use Lutron switches.
With a HomeKit switch, I can control mix configurations of lights. But my Hue Dimmers and Taps are limited to Hue lights.

Edit: my info was out of date. It seems that Hue switches can control other HomeKit devices now.

Last edited:

bbednarz

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2017
Chicago
So you don’t want a wired wall switch to replace the ones in your home? Surely you do.

The button is cool and all, can make an android and put it somewhere cool but a wired wall switch is what so many really want. Stop lying, you want one ;)
Connect the wires to remove the switch. Put one of these in its place. Half the price of Lutron's version that connects to the switch and uses 'dumb' bulbs. The way Hue bulbs are designed it wouldn't make sense for them to use a standard wall switch.

edit: I dont mean for this to be a knock on Lutron. I have a Lutron switch and use their fan control for 2 of my ceiling fans. Works very well.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/philip...tch-with-remote-white/4373904.p?skuId=4373904
[doublepost=1567685920][/doublepost]
I expect that these will be limited to controlling Hue devices instead of being a generic HomeKit compatible button. Hue is great for many of my rooms, but for larger banks of lights I use Lutron switches.
With a HomeKit switch, I can control mix configurations of lights. But my Hue Dimmers and Taps are limited to Hue lights.
Have you tried setting up the dimmer and tap in HomeKit? I have mine assigned to control all sorts of different scenes and devices. I setup a Tap switch for my girlfriend so when she goes to sleep she pushes the button and my 'good night' scene activates which has locks, fans, and lights all involved.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
Connect the wires to remove the switch. Put one of these in its place. Half the price of Lutron's version that connects to the switch and uses 'dumb' bulbs. The way Hue bulbs are designed it wouldn't make sense for them to use a standard wall switch.

Yet you’d been among the first to rush out and buy them if they released them (insert apple hmm emoji )

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
I'm not going to lie, I think it'll be nice to have Hue-branded smart plugs. One less app to worry about checking for firmware updates.

bbednarz

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2017
Chicago
Yet you’d been among the first to rush out and buy them if they released them (insert apple hmm emoji )
Wait, why would I do that? Like I said, they won't work with a standard on/off switch. They need to have power feeding them at all time. Lutron makes a switch that will do what you're describing.
[doublepost=1567686855][/doublepost]
I'm not going to lie, I think it'll be nice to have Hue-branded smart plugs. One less app to worry about checking for firmware updates.
I agree, just wish they were about half the price.

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
I agree, just wish they were about half the price.

Yeah, the price of a smart plug really ought to be about $20 if manufacturers want to make them ubiquitous. Honestly though, the Hue option is only $10 more than the iHome ones I have now, and they're much less obtrusive looking.

Reactions: bbednarz

JRobinsonJr

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2015
Arlington, Texas
Id also like to see a smart switch that can replace an existing switch by connecting to the wires. My kitchen has many built-in spots, would be too expensive to replace them all.

I am, unfortunately, in agreement that the Hue premise is based on continuous power with on/off/dim controlled at the bulb rater than a switch.

What *I* would rather see is a Smart Plug that is hard-wired and replaces that actual socket rather than being a plug-in module.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
Wait, why would I do that? Like I said, they won't work with a standard on/off switch. They need to have power feeding them at all time

I think you replied to my comment not understanding what I originally wrote about.

bbednarz

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2017
Chicago
I think you replied to my comment not understanding what I originally wrote about.
I replied to this "So you don’t want a wired wall switch to replace the ones in your home? Surely you do."

I explained the alternative (Lutron) which gives that functionality. Then also explained that Hue bulbs wouldn't work with something like that. Maybe explain what you originally wrote about if there is some misunderstanding. I'm not sure how else to interpret that.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
I replied to this "So you don’t want a wired wall switch to replace the ones in your home? Surely you do."

I explained the alternative (Lutron) which gives that functionality. Then also explained that Hue bulbs wouldn't work with something like that. Maybe explain what you originally wrote about if there is some misunderstanding. I'm not sure how else to interpret that.

You seem to not understand how hue bulbs work, with their stick on the wall switches many people want this as a wired switch.

Beerstalker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2011
Peoria, IL

I use Leviton Homekit switches, they have dimmers available too. Sure the switches are expensive, but they allow me to use cheap LED lights so I believe it ends up costing less in the end since most of the switches control multiple bulbs.

The bonus is I don't have to worry about the wife or kids switching the lights on or off with the switch on accident. And I don't have to explain to visitors that the only way to turn the lights on is by talking to Siri, etc.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton...witch-Works-with-Siri-R01-DH15S-1RZ/300799623

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton...immer-Works-with-Siri-R01-DH6HD-1RZ/300799614

TacoChowder

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2019
Did you not even try to google this?

MacFan23

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2010
You seem to not understand how hue bulbs work, with their stick on the wall switches many people want this as a wired switch.
I don’t quite understand what you’re asking for either. Are you basically asking for a switch that can be wall mounted and used as a replacement for a standard switch. If so, it’s not wired but they essentially offer that already, from memory they’re powered from kinetic energy (each time you press the button).

If you’re asking for just a switch that can be controlled via a smart devices, these also already exist, but wouldn’t make sense in a hue set up for both technical reasons and because it works against Phillip’s business interest (selling bulbs/lights)

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
Have you tried setting up the dimmer and tap in HomeKit? I have mine assigned to control all sorts of different scenes and devices. I setup a Tap switch for my girlfriend so when she goes to sleep she pushes the button and my 'good night' scene activates which has locks, fans, and lights all involved.
Interesting. It has been almost a year (early iOS 12) since I last tried. At that time the switches showed up in HomeKit, but when I tried to set them up, it told me that the they needed to be configured through the Hue app. This stopped me from combining devices outside of the Hue ecosystem.
This no longer seems that the case! They seem to be able to control any HomeKit device now. I will test this more tonight. Thanks for the heads up!

Reactions: bbednarz

bbednarz

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2017
Chicago
Interesting. It has been almost a year (early iOS 12) since I last tried. At that time the switches showed up in HomeKit, but when I tried to set them up, it told me that the they needed to be configured through the Hue app. This stopped me from combining devices outside of the Hue ecosystem.
This no longer seems that the case! They seem to be able to control any HomeKit device now. I will test this more tonight. Thanks for the heads up!
Ahh right, I forgot that it used to not be that way!

Internet Enzyme

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2016
That button thing actually seems useful. Changing scenes is not intuitive via HomePod voice control, since all of that functionality gets routed through the mess that is Siri Shortcuts, which require the user to mold their intent around the device by making them input dumb, stilted, concatenated commands through a clunky hierarchy of highly undiscoverable software scaffolding. I put a lot of effort into getting some of my scenes to work through Siri, with no avail. I manage my bulbs mostly through control center and notification center widgets now, which are far more lightweight in comparison. This kind of control is destined for buttons and switches—people value tactility and invisible effort in their interactions, and they despise when their whims are left to an assistant to intuit. A button to toggle scenes is a great idea.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.