Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paieye

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 14, 2008
I have put my old SIM-card into my new iPhone 12, and the provider has confirmed that the card has been activated. I can send and receive email, but I cannot activate iMessage, SMS, What'sApp, Facetime, &c. I keep getting "Waiting for activation." I have tried resetting the network, but that has made no difference. What am I doing wrong ?

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Did you try turning off / back on the iMessage toggle in Settings > Message? A lot of times that stops the spinning activation wheel and completes the process. I have to do that most every time after logging out of iCloud or setting up a new phone etc.

paieye

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 14, 2008
Did you try turning off / back on the iMessage toggle in Settings > Message? A lot of times that stops the spinning activation wheel and completes the process. I have to do that most every time after logging out of iCloud or setting up a new phone etc.
Thank you, I shall try that, and report back.

paieye

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 14, 2008
Thank you, I shall try that, and report back.

Reactions: Apple_Robert

paieye

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 14, 2008
I now find that the answer may be as follows. The new iPhone is my wife's. She and I have always used my Apple ID. and this until now has never caused the least difficulty. However, the telephone is showing an email-address of hers as her Apple ID. How do I change that ?

paieye

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 14, 2008
I dare say that all of that is correct,but where do we go from here ? What I long to do is to create a new Apple ID for my wife. Just at the moment, though, I am not sure how to do that.I have attempted to do it on this MacBook. In System Preferences, I have launched App Store. I have signed out of iCloud. I have clicked Create New Apple ID. After a short interval of watching the spinning daisy, I see "Verification failed." Just at present, I cannot see how to get beyond that..

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.