Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
I have about 100 apps. Most I rarely use but I’m keeping them.

When I swipe down from the home screen and type a couple of letters I get apps that start with those letters. I like this functionality.

What I don’t like is the stuff below that that insists on suggesting interactions with other apps I never use. If I type GR, I get a list of suggestions related to Groupon.

If I turn off Siri suggestions for Groupon the suggestions go away, but they are replaced by other search suggestions I have no use for.

I don’t want to lose the quick search for apps at the top, which also shows recently used apps. But I do want to remove all other search suggestions below.

It seems like the only way I can achieve that is to manually turn off one by one, EVERY single app in search.

This is a massive time suck. What am I missing here?

Another major annoyance and potential security issue is the incessant suggestions for things to do with text captured from the iOS clipboard.

If I copy a password, Siri suggests things to do with that copied password AND shows the password.

I want, and should be able to, disable Siri suggestions access to my clipboard.

Again, am I missing something here?

On a side note, my iPhone keyboard cursor constantly disappears at macrumors .

Last edited:
Reactions: dk001

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
I have about 100 apps. Most I rarely use but I’m keeping them.

When I swipe down from the home screen and type a couple of letters I get apps that start with those letters. I like this functionality.

What I don’t like is the stuff below that that insists on suggesting interactions with other apps I never use. If I type GR, I get a list of suggestions related to Groupon.

If I turn off Siri suggestions for Groupon the suggestions go away, but they are replaced by other search suggestions I have no use for.

I don’t want to lose the quick search for apps at the top, which also shows recently used apps. But I do want to remove all other search suggestions below.

It seems like the only way I can achieve that is to manually turn off one by one, EVERY single app in search.

This is a massive time suck. What am I missing here?

Another major annoyance and potential security issue is the incessant suggestions for things to do with text captured from the iOS clipboard.

If I copy a password, Siri suggests things to do with that copied password AND shows the password.

I want, and should be able to, disable Siri suggestions access to my clipboard.

Again, am I missing something here?

On a side note, my iPhone keyboard cursor constantly disappears at macrumors .

Regarding the first part of your post, why don’t you simply ignore them?

The thing regarding passwords is a definite problem. I’d report that one.

Reactions: mattopotamus

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
On a side note, my iPhone keyboard cursor constantly disappears at macrumors

It’s a xenforo issue (one of many). If you hit the save button it should reappear. If that doesn’t work refresh the page. Since your post is saved you won’t lose anything.

Starfia

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2011
mcdj, I don't think you're missing anything. If you only want Siri Suggestions for 10 out of 100 apps, choose each of 90 apps in Settings, turn off "Search, Suggestions & Shortcuts", and leave "Show App" on if you still want to launch the app by searching for its name. Presumably that's the reason that app-by-app functionality is in there.

Having said that, I feel your pain. Since I almost only ever want banner-style notifications for many apps, but never any app badges or sounds for any apps, I've suffered this "major time suck" since the arrival of Notifications – I'm used to it. Rather than this notification "tuning" feature introduced in iOS 12, I'd love just to have had the ability to set a default notification style for any app given permission to send notifications. I'd welcome a similar policy for applications offering Siri suggestions or shortcuts as well.

hagar

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2008
Weird, i vagely remember an option in Siri Settings to choose what should appear in Search results, and in what order. So you could put apps on top or disable everything else. But can’t find it anymore.

Steve28

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2011
Weird, i vagely remember an option in Siri Settings to choose what should appear in Search results, and in what order. So you could put apps on top or disable everything else. But can’t find it anymore.
That setting is in each individual app preference, it's not in Siri settings. For Example, go to Settings->[any app]->Siri & Search, and you can turn off "Search, Suggestions, and Shortcuts" and it will no longer show that app as a suggestion

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.