Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has made no mention of Find My integration for the Siri Remote designed for the second-generation Apple TV 4K, but Siri responses to certain requests about the remote suggest that Apple could perhaps have such a feature in the works, or at the least, might have considered adding it.

find-my-siri-remote.jpg

If you ask Siri to "Find my Siri remote," "Find my Apple TV remote," or even just "Find my remote," Siri will provide the following response: "You don't have any Siri Remotes linked to your iCloud account." The curious Siri response was first found by 9to5Mac. If you ask about another item that might perhaps have Find My integration with an AirTag, such as keys or a wallet, Siri says "You don't have any items set up in the Find My app."

If you ask about a device with no Find My integration like the Apple Pencil, Siri says "That type of device can't be set up in the Find My app, so I'm not able to find it for you." The new remote response is limited to iOS 14.5, and Siri does not understand the same request on devices running earlier versions of iOS, but there is one notable caveat here -- a MacRumors reader has pointed out that Siri will also sometimes give a similar response when asked to "Find My AirPower," but other Apple devices don't seem to give the same answer.

apple-tv-4k-design-clue.jpg

Prior to the launch of the revamped Apple TV 4K, there were rumors from Bloomberg suggesting the remote designed for the device would indeed have Find My integration to allow it to be found should it be lost in the house. When introducing the Apple TV 4K and the new remote, though, Apple did not make any mention of Find My integration, nor is it anywhere on Apple's site or press materials related to the new devices. The remote also does not have a U1 chip like the AirTags for close-proximity location purposes.

It's possible that some kind of Find My integration is coming in the future, or that it's a feature that was considered for the Siri Remote and later scrapped, but it's not clear either way. We should find out more when the Siri Remote is available, or if Apple removes the Siri response from iOS.

Article Link: Siri Response Suggests Find My Support Might Come to New Siri Remote

Last edited:

countryside

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2016
PLEASE be true. Sadly, I think if it was going to happen, they would advertise it. This is a selling point. I bet they will be giving it to us in an all-new Apple TV in 2 years.

Then again, considering that nobody at Apple knows AT WHAT TIME the TV will be available for pre-order (some saying midnight some saying 5am)... I think this Apple TV team is disorganized. Maybe it was a forgotten feature?

Think|Different

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2021
Yes, Airtag tech would be super cool in the remote but it will be a nice bonus if it ever happens. Yes, these devices get lost in a couch or whatever, but they do NOT typically leave the home (obviously, someone's gonna have an exception to everything), it's just not the same as needing 'Find My' on a phone...or your iPad...or your Mac...or AirPods...or your keys...or bags – all things that regularly leave your house. Not a TV remote or a HomePod mini.

Reactions: swisscanadian

munpip214

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2011
I guess we will find out in a month? Or is there an option to purchase the remote sooner?

Think|Different

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2021
The whole premise of the AirTag ad was a guy getting sucked in a couch. Finding a remote there is a perfect use case for that scenario.
I hear you, it was a good ad, but they knew exactly what they were doing and implying with it. They didn't only realize any possibly irony when the public saw that for the first time. I'm not saying a chirp wouldn't be helpful from time to time, just that they drew the line in the sand that the Remote, at least for now, doesn't need AirTag level finding tech. And honestly, we all know if they had added it to it – and the cost would be adjusted for that, mind you – you'd have a lot of people saying they don't need to pay extra for a feature they might never need. You know how this goes. ?

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Yes, Airtag tech would be super cool in the remote but it will be a nice bonus if it ever happens. Yes, these devices get lost in a couch or whatever, but they do NOT typically leave the home (obviously, someone's gonna have an exception to everything), it's just not the same as needing 'Find My' on a phone...or your iPad...or your Mac...or AirPods...or your keys...or bags – all things that regularly leave your house. Not a TV remote or a HomePod mini.
The Apple tv remote goes missing for months on end in my house ( 2 kids under 5). We find it in places you wouldn't expect. I would really find a trackable remote useful for that alone. I'm reluctant to add an airtag to the remote as I have a 2 year old and he might swollow it.

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
At the very least, it would be nice to have an internal speaker like so many other remotes. In that case, you could ask Siri where your remote is and it could beep or play a tone for finding it in the couch cushions or throughout the room/house.
This was my thought too. If you can't find your remote, chances are it's somewhere in the room (or in the house) and a sound would help find it. If you ask Siri where your iPhone, iPad, or MacBook is...she plays a sound on that device.

Also FWIW, I just asked Siri where my Apple Watch is and got a similar response as the one in this article. It's definitely linked to my iCloud account and even shows up in the Find My app, yet she isn't able to do anything. Theoretically, she could/should have had the ability to do this all along since we can activate the sound ourselves. Perhaps this suggests that this feature could be coming to the Apple Watch too?

Last edited:

Roadster Lewis

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2021
Coventry, UK
The Apple tv remote goes missing for months on end in my house ( 2 kids under 5). We find it in places you wouldn't expect. I would really find a trackable remote useful for that alone. I'm reluctant to add an airtag to the remote as I have a 2 year old and he might swollow it.
I’m glad it isn’t just my kids that do this. For both of them, as soon as they could grab for things it was always the Apple TV remote.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Yeah, the remote really doesn't need U1 IMO... it rarely leaves the room, and never leaves the house, so just something to make it beep would be swell!
Yep, that's all I'd need. In fact that's how we find missing iPhones in the house as well, just by making them play a noise -- crude but very effective.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I'm reluctant to add an airtag to the remote as I have a 2 year old and he might swollow it.
I don’t think airtags are a choking hazard. In the US, an item is considered a choking hazard if it fits in a cylinder 1.25” in diameter by some length. Airtags are 1.26” in diameter so it won’t fit. That size is probably not a coincidence haha.
Which is exactly why it needs U1, as U1 is for short range locating.
I’d think if it just had a speaker, a simple Bluetooth transmission could make it make noise.

carlhancock

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2006
It no longer appears to be responding that way for me.

When I first tried it while reading this article it did indeed say that no Siri Remote was linked to my iCloud account.

But just minutes later when I would ask it again, it would say that type of device cannot be setup in Find My app.

They may have already patched the response.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.