Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Firmware for Apple's HomePod has already given us glimpses into the unreleased iPhone 8, including a glyph representing the basic front-facing design of the smartphone, as well as code that supports rumors of a "split" status bar.

Screen-Shot-1.jpg

Apple Watch has yet to be mentioned in the discoveries, but recently developer Jeffrey Grossman shared a few pieces of information on Twitter that are potentially related to Apple's wearable device, which he discovered when looking through the HomePod's IPSW files.

At one point, the firmware includes a few references to a "Skiing Workout" alongside multiple strings that describe items like "Downhill Snow Sports Distance," "Ski Data," and "Workout Activity Type."

apple-watch-homepod-firmware.jpg
I'm digging through the HomePod IPSW and found something that may interest @parrots pic.twitter.com/Y8xgq1Dn5B - Jeffrey Grossman (@Jeffrey903) August 1, 2017
Apple has been consistently adding new exercises to the Workout app for Apple Watch over the past few years, including swimming exercises in watchOS 3 (which requires Apple Watch Series 2) and new High Intensity Interval Training exercises in the upcoming watchOS 4.

As such, it's likely that there are various unannounced workouts that will be introduced in future watchOS 4 updates, which now might include sessions for skiers. Coming in the first public release of watchOS 4 are a number of UI improvements for the Workouts app, making it easier to start an exercise and string together different types of exercises.

Upon release, HomePod will run a version of iOS, and the firmware released by Apple that's been dissected by developers this week corresponds to iOS 11.0.2, lending credibility to all of the bits and pieces of information that have thus far been uncovered within the files.

Article Link: References to New Skiing Workout for Apple Watch Uncovered in HomePod Firmware

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Hope we see numerous other workouts added. Sadly, it's difficult to track most of what we do in the gym. Outdoors where you can combine GPS with heart-rate is far easier to calculate and even map. I'm sure rollerblading and other outdoor activities would be fairly simple to add also.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I really really really hope they find clues about the Apple HDTV.

I thought they already found that somewhere else.

And I really Really REALLY want TouchID under the glass on the iPhone 8.

The HomePod is the gift that keeps on giving.
Hell, maybe I should buy myself one and see if it gives me the lottery numbers! :D

The question is, will it give the winning lotto numbers!;)

Reactions: berrymetal

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Was this HomePod SDK release intentional by Apple, or a leak? I've seen accounts going both ways. In any event, if released intentionally, and assuming the details that are coming out about other products from the code are accurate, it shows you that even the most robust security will not guard against inadvertent releases of proprietary info.

Last edited:

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Skiing is tricky. That's a really long duration activity. I would assume that for a skiing workout the watch would make the intervals of measurement less frequent otherwise having it monitor heart rate and other factors that constantly would drain the battery before the workout completed. Especially considering the fact that batteries tend to deplete faster in cold environments.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Yess! Skiing!!

Not sure how much I would use the AW while skiing, considering it would be tucked under several layers of clothing. But since it's a gimmicky toy of a product anyway, I would track my ski runs as such.
[doublepost=1501594740][/doublepost]
Skiing is tricky. That's a really long duration activity. I would assume that for a skiing workout the watch would make the intervals of measurement less frequent otherwise having it monitor heart rate and other factors that constantly would drain the battery before the workout completed. Especially considering the fact that batteries tend to deplete faster in cold environments.

I've tracked my ski days before. They have an category called "Downhill Skiing" already under "Other." The battery lasts just fine because under a ski jacket, the screen pretty much never comes on.

Reactions: richhh

ck2875

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Brighton
This HomePod SDK release was intentional by Apple, or a leak? I've seen accounts going both ways. In any event, if released intentionally, and assuming the details that are coming out about other products from the code are accurate, it shows you that even the most robust security will not guard against inadvertent releases of proprietary info.

This is pure speculation and me wildly guessing, but my guess is that Apple probably updated the iOS Software Update Server (SUS) Catalog list to indicate that there was an update available for the HomePod, so that the devices being tested by internal Apple employees would see it and update. Eagle-eye developers saw the catalog update publish, and downloaded the firmware from the link in the SUS catalog file. So while it was technically 'publically available' in the sense that people could find it if they knew where to look, it wasn't a SDK or anything that Apple intended to release.

jmh600cbr

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2012
I don't even understand why they released this software. There isn't any API for developers to work with so why preview it? My guess is this is controlled leaking

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
This is pure speculation and me wildly guessing, but my guess is that Apple probably updated the iOS Software Update Server (SUS) Catalog list to indicate that there was an update available for the HomePod, so that the devices being tested by internal Apple employees would see it and update. Eagle-eye developers saw the catalog update publish, and downloaded the firmware from the link in the SUS catalog file. So while it was technically 'publically available' in the sense that people could find it if they knew where to look, it wasn't a SDK or anything that Apple intended to release.
If so, someone who was an Apple Engineer or project lead last week has a lot of time on their hands today to find a new job.

Reactions: dr34mc4st3r

PeLaNo

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2017
Next article : HomePod firmware reveals the name of people who got fired in responsible to these leaks.

Reactions: agsystems

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I don't even understand why they released this software. There isn't any API for developers to work with so why preview it? My guess is this is controlled leaking

Besides that, look at the time frame right now when this all happening. In August, Literally six weeks before the launch and all of those codes contained in one piece of firmware? This is what Apple does and this certainly isn't the first time either. This is their way of building the tension piece by piece, because this company moves in mysterious ways.

Blakjack

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2009
Come on Apple.....you'll create a way to measure skiing but there is no workout for Jump roping or a way to measure jumping jacks. These are two of the oldest ways to burn calories. How many people in America have even ever gone skiing?!

twinlight

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2016
Oh skiing workouts! I do both downhill and cross country, albeit slowly and with a few falls, but I will gladly use the new workouts.

Airpods and the Watch are perfect for skiing! So easy to keep in touch on the mountain. Just hit your helmet and tell Siri to call or text family. Or if I get an incoming call. Just hit the helmet and answer. Others take their gloves of. Drop their gear from the lift or even the phone. I just start talking :)

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
Sure would like a rowing interface that doen't require gps or connecting to the indoor rower. I'm talking about older concept2 machines.

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
Today I learnt that I don't swim with enough arm bracelets.
FWIW, it wasn't so much swimming as floating around an infinity pool (overlooking the ocean at dusk, of course) on a transparent innertube, and she was cute (Apple Watch Series 2 — Go Time, around the 39 second mark if you can't afford to watch the entire 60 seconds). Struck me at the time as a pretty well-done commercial (nice cinematography, well-shot mostly low-light scenes, casually demonstrating a bunch of useful features with no dialog).

Reactions: ck2875

Boatboy24

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2011
1 Infinite Loop
Wondering if, with downhill, you'll have to start/stop a workout with every run. Otherwise, there's a lot of downtime waiting in lift lines and riding lifts (more or less, depending on where you ski/ride).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.