Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Supplies of Apple's Smart Battery Cases for the iPhone XS, XS Max, and XR are limited right now, and new orders made for a Smart Battery Case in the United States won't ship out until July.

There's no word on why the Smart Battery Cases are temporarily unavailable from Apple, but there could have been a manufacturing delay or issue that has caused available supply to dry up.

smartbatterycasejuly.jpg

Right now, Smart Battery Cases for the iPhone XS, XS Max, and XR all list delivery dates between July 1 and July 16, with pickup available in retail stores on July 16.

Those dates pertain to all colors, including Pink Sand, White, and Black, for all Smart Battery Cases.

The Smart Battery Case shortage also means that warranty replacements for Smart Battery Cases in need of repair are unavailable at the current time, as MacRumors reader Andy learned from a retail employee. Replacements will likely be available again in July when supplies improve.

Though in short supply from Apple, Smart Battery Cases for iPhone XR, iPhone XS, and iPhone XS Max can still be purchased from Amazon.

Article Link: Smart Battery Cases for iPhone XS, XS Max, and XR in Short Supply and Won't Ship Until July

Reactions: ohio.emt

dhla

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2019
I have an iPhone XS Smart Battery case that is probably about 8 weeks old now. It has not worked right and I took it to the Fifth Ave Apple Store in NYC on May 13. He had no replacements and said no store in NYC had any in stock, but as I lived in LA, he documented the problems and told me to go my closest store, which is Century City in LA. I went there, they confirmed the problems and ordered me a case - that was over 2 weeks ago at this point. I do think there is a quality issue - if I stick a cable in when the phone is in the case, I can't use CarPlay and I can't charge either device. But if I take the phone out, I can charge the case and I can charge the phone. So obviously this points to an issue with the lightning connector on the case. The phone charges both with cable and wirelessly and the phone is newer than the case - it is about 6 weeks old.

Hope any of that detail is useful.

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
The Clinton Archipelago unfortunately
I love mine but I am not going to use it for "daily use". I just want to Japan for 24 days and used it then. Other than that, I'll use it on hikes and day trips and vacations. It's really a great case...Just a little bulky for everyday use. Glad I got mine before the shortage.

Now hopefully they ship the airpods I ordered on the 21st soon.

slippery-pete

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
I have an iPhone XS Smart Battery case that is probably about 8 weeks old now. It has not worked right and I took it to the Fifth Ave Apple Store in NYC on May 13. He had no replacements and said no store in NYC had any in stock, but as I lived in LA, he documented the problems and told me to go my closest store, which is Century City in LA. I went there, they confirmed the problems and ordered me a case - that was over 2 weeks ago at this point. I do think there is a quality issue - if I stick a cable in when the phone is in the case, I can't use CarPlay and I can't charge either device. But if I take the phone out, I can charge the case and I can charge the phone. So obviously this points to an issue with the lightning connector on the case. The phone charges both with cable and wirelessly and the phone is newer than the case - it is about 6 weeks old.

My wife had the same issue with hers. It was about 6 weeks ago, so they had a replacement in stock.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I’d like one for hikes and whatnot, but by the time I get one, given this news, the new iPhones will be very close to release and I do plan on trading my Xr in. I’m not shelling out that kind of money for a case I’d use only for about 3-4 months.

It would be much appreciated if the next generation of iPhones has this useful accessory released along with the phones.

Reactions: TheAppleFairy

muasachi

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2013
I was about to get a replacement :(

Sometimes when I charged overnight, and started using in the morning the battery was running from the phone itself instead. Even though the phone said the case had 100% battery.
Removing and placing the phone again didn’t help.
Had to plug the cable in for a while, then it worked as it was supposed to be.

rjp1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2015
Got one right when they came out for my iPhone X. I’ve never had an issue and use it everyday.

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
I get the purpose of this thing, but after every screen shot passing by I’m asking myself if some better design idea would have been available.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I’d like one for hikes and whatnot, but by the time I get one, given this news, the new iPhones will be very close to release and I do plan on trading my Xr in. I’m not shelling out that kind of money for a case I’d use only for about 3-4 months.

It would be much appreciated if the next generation of iPhones has this useful accessory released along with the phones.
Some people do plan to hold on to their phones for a couple more years, until it finally gives out. For them, a battery case makes sense, though I also see the point of a power bank which can work with any device.

xienze

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2015
Very disappointed with this iteration of the battery case. My wife and I both had one for our 6Ss and they worked fine for two years. We each got one for our XSs and within a couple of months they both got to the point where if the phone had shifted even the slightest bit in the case (say, from pulling it out of a pocket), the case would stop charging until we pushed down on the case a small amount to reseat the phone. Then a week ago my case just stopped working period.

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Oct 31, 2010
You guys know what that means! New iPhone XS, XS Max, and XR smart battery cases will be announced at WWDC! :p (/joke)

PastaPrimav

Suspended
Nov 6, 2017
Definitely the nicest battery case ever made for an iPhone. Looks great, works exactly as it should, and even supports Qi charging.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Some people do plan to hold on to their phones for a couple more years, until it finally gives out. For them, a battery case makes sense, though I also see the point of a power bank which can work with any device.
A battery case makes sense for me, too, even if I upgrade annually. I’d like to have the full year’s utility of the case instead of a paltry 3 or 4 months. So, what didn’t make sense to me was having this much appreciated (by me) case put on a design and implementation schedule so far behind the release of the models of phones it is meant for. On top of that slow schedule, customers will now be subject to an additional delay from one of the usual unforeseen supply shortages.

(I have held onto some of my iPhones and they’re being used by family. But this phone isn’t the best Xr. Sometimes you get ones like that. I want to trade it in before the warranty is up, like I did for my doggish 7 Plus. My 6sPlus was/is a great phone and still in use among extended family. Ditto for my iPhone SE. And the same with my Product Red 8 Plus—which I did get an extended warranty for.)

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I get the purpose of this thing, but after every screen shot passing by I’m asking myself if some better design idea would have been available.
They're designed to minimize interference with the radios. It's a little funky looking but the design is purpose built.

I bought one at Best Buy just recently. I was thinking I'd reserve it for travel but I actually don't mind the side.

its93rc

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
Texas
I'm on my second one (Xs Max). The first one just stopped working out of nowhere! I do think something's going on here.

Glockworkorange

Suspended
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois

Mine works fine. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I suspect you had a bad unit and the ongoing issues are trade related.

tuttinudi

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2018
I got mine in May and have used it daily for the past month. I love how it works, though I noticed last week there is a bubble forming and will eventually peel. I’ve called Apple and have a Genius Bar appt tomorrow, though I’m not sure what they will be able to do with no stock available.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.