Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Snapchat today introduced a new feature called Context Cards, designed to add more information and functionality to your Snaps. Context Cards offer quick access to options like location information, directions, reviews, and ride sharing services.

Context Cards can be accessed by swiping up on any Snap that has a "More" option, with the info attached to Snaps tagged with venue-specific Geofilters or submitted to Our Story.

Snaps will display reviews, directions, phone numbers, and more from partners that include Tripadvisor, Foursquare, Michelin, and goop, while integrations with Uber and Lyft allow you to summon a ride and OpenTable, Resy, or Bookatable let you make restaurant reservations.

snapchatcontextcards-800x450.jpg

Snapchat says many locations will have Stories integrated into their Context Cards to make it easier to find Snaps from places nearby, with the Snaps made up of stories submitted by the Snapchat community.

At launch, Context Cards will be available in the US, Canada, Australia, UK, and New Zealand, and Snapchat plans to expand its content partners going forward.

Article Link: Snapchat Gains Context Cards for Adding More Info to Snaps

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
And yet their damn filters remain fixed right in the center of an image without the possibility to move or resize them. One of the reasons i prefer Insta Stories nowadays

Attachments

• 4C26D1A5-3287-4612-84F4-4BBB5588BD2B.jpeg
    4C26D1A5-3287-4612-84F4-4BBB5588BD2B.jpeg
    462.9 KB · Views: 933
Reactions: ILikeAllOS

fairuz

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2017
Silicon Valley
I seriously doubt anyone is going to use these features. The whole point of this app is that you don't put a lot of effort into your posts.

Edit: I should have actually watched the video and seen that it's done automatically. It sounded like you had to fill stuff out.

Last edited:

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Everyone saying snapchat is dead must be old. All the kids despise insta and snap their entire day. Right.. poor snap chat :rolleyes:

LULz. You're showing just how uninformed and out of touch you are.

Instagram Stories took just 5 months to surpass what it took Snapchat to do.

They've now more than doubled Snapchat in usage. More people use Instagram Stories each day than Snapchat as an entire platform.

While Snapchat's growth has slowed way way down, Instagram continues to see big growth month over month.

Advertisers are moving away from Snapchat and investing in Instagram. Influencers are also posting to Snapchat less and less. The bad signs just keep growing for Snapchat.

snapchat_vs_instagram_stories_01.png

Snapchat stock keeps heading down down down.

RF9Dup2.png

midkay

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2008
I seriously doubt anyone is going to use these features. The whole point of this app is that you don't put a lot of effort into your posts.
Completely untrue. Yes they're temporary, but doesn't mean people don't put care into their snaps. Me plenty of my friends do. Of course some people are lazy about it, but I love using stickers, captions, filters, getting everything just right.

Also, Insta stories are a very pale imitation. Snap doesn't have anything to worry about in that regard right now.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
LULz. You're showing just how uninformed and out of touch you are.

Instagram Stories took just 5 months to surpass what it took Snapchat to do.

They've now more than doubled Snapchat in usage. More people use Instagram Stories each day than Snapchat as an entire platform.

While Snapchat's growth has slowed way way down, Instagram continues to see big growth month over month.

Advertisers are moving away from Snapchat and investing in Instagram. Influencers are also posting to Snapchat less and less. The bad signs just keep growing for Snapchat.

snapchat_vs_instagram_stories_01.png

Snapchat stock keeps heading down down down.

RF9Dup2.png

Comparing a company that's been on the market for 60+ months to a 6 month old public company? Not sure that one makes sense!

Either way, as an investor Facebook continues to be a great buy and so does Snapchat because that's where the young kids are. Funny some people don't see it both ways.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Comparing a company that's been on the market for 60+ months to a 6 month old public company? Not sure that one makes sense!

Either way, as an investor Facebook continues to be a great buy and so does Snapchat because that's where the young kids are. Funny some people don't see it both ways.

The data is showing users and young kids moving away from Snap. The platform is struggling to attract new users at the rate it needs to and investors are getting weary and moving on to better bets. Their top users, who attract a large percentage of their normal users, are becoming less active on the platform which is yet another bad sign for them.

From the start SNAP stood for Short Now And Profit and nothing more. Their longterm outlook is not good at all.

fairuz

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2017
Silicon Valley
Completely untrue. Yes they're temporary, but doesn't mean people don't put care into their snaps. Me plenty of my friends do. Of course some people are lazy about it, but I love using stickers, captions, filters, getting everything just right.

Also, Insta stories are a very pale imitation. Snap doesn't have anything to worry about in that regard right now.
None of those things take any significant effort, which is why they're nice. I was under the false impression that users had to fill out these context cards, which would have been considered too much effort, but they're added automatically, so nvm. Can't comment on IG's versions of Snapchat features cause I haven't used it in years.
[doublepost=1507670177][/doublepost]
The data is showing users and young kids moving away from Snap. The platform is struggling to attract new users at the rate it needs to and investors are getting weary and moving on to better bets. Their top users, who attract a large percentage of their normal users, are becoming less active on the platform which is yet another bad sign for them.

From the start SNAP stood for Short Now And Profit and nothing more. Their longterm outlook is not good at all.
One thing Snapchat has going for it (in terms of gaining users) is people use it to communicate. Never heard of anyone giving out their IG for sending messages, and they can't really copy that from Snapchat unless they rework their brand a lot. So they aren't 100% competitors.

But it seems like IG has better potential for monetization just because of how it's used. Like, who the heck actually watches the ads that appear AFTER someone's Snapchat story?

Last edited:

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
One thing Snapchat has going for it (in terms of gaining users) is people use it to communicate. Never heard of anyone giving out their IG for sending messages, and they can't really copy that from Snapchat unless they rework their brand a lot. So they aren't 100% competitors.

But it seems like IG has better potential for monetization just because of how it's used. Like, who the heck actually watches the ads that appear AFTER someone's Snapchat story?

Instagram offers direct messaging and it's growing fast. They also offer groups which Snapchat doesn't, again that's a feature that's seeing more and more use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.