Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Snapchat over the weekend quietly began launching a new intelligent image recognition feature in its app, first spotted by Mashable. The feature automatically recognizes certain objects and events when you snap a picture of them, and provides you with appropriate filters and borders for your images when you scroll through editing options. At launch, recognizable objects include concerts, beaches, pets, sports, and food.

snapchat-food-filters.jpg

Snapchat's image recognition is meant to be used when you are taking pictures of real objects and animals, but it also appears to work for more generic images found on the internet. A Snapchat spokesperson told MacRumors that image processing takes place locally on your iPhone, and the company will continuously improve the feature with better accuracy and quality of the recommendations as more people use it.

The update is launching ahead of Snapchat's imminent redesign, which CEO Evan Spiegel has stated will be a direct response to users who claim the app is difficult to understand. In an earnings letter shared earlier in November, Spiegel said that "our team has been working on responding to this feedback," and the redesign has been hinted at including algorithmic feeds in the Stories section of the app.

Article Link: Snapchat Debuts New Filters That Automatically Recognize Food, Concerts, Pets, Beaches, and Sports

RosOne

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2009
"A Snapchat spokesperson told MacRumors that image processing takes place locally on your iPhone" and sends the data to Snapchat?

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Que up the hordes of grumpy MacRumors posters in their 40s and 50s complaining that this is pointless and they don’t understand Snapchat.

Every single time Snapchat is mentioned. These forums are filled with complaints.

Every time Facebook is mentioned, you've always got that guy who tells you all about how they don't use Facebook. You know who does use Facebook? Over 2 billion people every day.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
30s here and don’t understand Snapchat or the need for people to take pictures of their meal and share it with others. Maybe I’m just an old soul.
Isn't that mostly just a repeat of IRC and AIM away messages, MySpace profiles and updates, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. The fads basically just catch up to the later offerings later as they are newer and haven't been around as much.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Que up the hordes of grumpy MacRumors posters in their 40s and 50s complaining that this is pointless and they don’t understand Snapchat.

I'm 41 and I love Snapchat. I have Facebook and Twitter, but I use Snapchat for more personal communcation with a few close friends and family. I have 800 Facebook "friends" built up over 10 years and my Twitter is mainly work related. Snapchat is for the 35 people or so that I really want to communicate with on a daily basis. I also can be slightly less guarded about what I say or show on my Snapchat with certain friends. Of course, like any social media you still have to be careful especially if you have a professional job, but it does create a more personal experience.

Reactions: B60boy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.