Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Riccardo iDex

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2021
Hi guys, first of all thank you for making possible all this and the work you've done! I'm following this project from the beginning even though silently. Until now I tried only the 10A190 build on PowerBook G4 (17-inch, 1,5 GHz), iBook G4 (12-inch, Late 2004) and Power Mac G5 (June 2004) with dual PowerPC 970fx at 2.5 GHz and ATI Radeon 9800 XT with 256 MB of DDR SDRAM. Unfortunately I don't own a Power Mac G5 (Late 2005) and I don't have a PCI GeForce FX 5200 on any other Power Mac G4/G5, so I'm out of luck. The lack of QE/CI make me going very slow on installing Snow Leopard beta on other PPC Mac computers. Also here in Italy it's very common to have Internet connections in 2021 slower then the original AirPort Base Station theoretical maximum download speed (11 Mbps). So also having slow internet prevents me from downloading the 10A96 Server build and the 10A222 build for trying/testing. My last goal was to try make Cover Flow working in Finder and iTunes (10.6.3*), still on 10A190 obvs, but I haven't got luck on it. I would love to have working Cover Flow. When I click for Cover Flow view in a Finder window, Finder become not responding and I have to relaunch it (if it won't crash by itself). QuartzGL is enabled, Core Image is only software obvs. Already copied from Leopard to Snow Leopard every graphics related .kext needed for GPUs in those Mac computers. I also added an entry for QuartzGLEnable in info.plist for Finder and iTunes as suggested by @vddrnnr in #816 https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/snow-leopard-on-unsupported-ppc-machines.2232031/post-29383377. But no luck. Also runned AuroraAccelerator from AuroraSuite, so BeamSync disabled. Maybe I may have luck with the original iMac G5 (20-inch) though, even though is AGP as I see in the table 3, the GeForce FX 5200 AGP is a TBD for QE/CI
Thanks in advance anyway.

*An info to say, it sync flawlessly my 1st gen Apple TV, and it converts video for iPhone and iPod, and for iPad and Apple TV. Other things to say: Keka 0.1.2.1 for Tiger works, Ralink Wireless Utility for 10.6 works (the installer says it fails to install, but the app is installed in the Application folder, and it detects my old D-Link G122 Rev.E). This for the 3 said Mac. Some confirms: G4 Fans Control works on PowerBook G4 17" 1.5 GHz and iBook G4 12" late 2004, obviously after placing the missing ...46.kext (from Leopard) in the Extensions folder. Secrets 1.0.6 pref. pane works, Ox86 Tools enables QuartzGL on all 3 said Mac . Then even though less important, Jazz Jackrabbit 2 works, PPCAppStore opens but can't download anything. if I correctly remember I decrypted for test some Root Filesystem from iOS .ipsw with iDecrypt. PwnageTool 5.0.1 works for custom .ipsw, but fails to enter supported iPhone, iPad or iPod touch into pwnDFU mode.

ChrisCharman

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2020
Bournemouth, UK
Just thought i’d make a quick post to clarify for those new to the project:

As per the seed notes for builds 10A096 and 10A190 ‘...- Graphics acceleration is not yet supported which may cause programs which require graphics acceleration to run incorrectly...’

OpenGL and Quartz are not properly implemented in these builds and have not been fixed at present. Regardless of the hardware used for testing, hardware graphical acceleration is not functional.

A smoother user experience can be attained using hardware listed as supported but QuickLook, ScreenSavers etc will not work until the frameworks have been replaced.

Just thought i’d make a quick post to clarify for those new to the project:

As per the seed notes for builds 10A096 and 10A190 ‘...- Graphics acceleration is not yet supported which may cause programs which require graphics acceleration to run incorrectly...’

OpenGL and Quartz are not properly implemented in these builds and have not been fixed at present. Regardless of the hardware used for testing, hardware graphical acceleration is not functional.

A smoother user experience can be attained using hardware listed as supported but QuickLook, ScreenSavers etc will not work until the frameworks have been replaced.

A couple of things to help out @Riccardo iDex :

1) On having a slow internet connection: here in Canada, I was stuck at 5Mbps downspeed until 2017, and at present, the fastest speeds I’ve been able to pull down stuff is right around 18Mbps, so I understand your predicament!

I think I might try putting one of the 10A96 builds on archive-dot-org to make that easier to obtain than via mega. At least from there you can select a torrent of it to download and you can let that run in the background without worrying about your internet connection interrupting it.

2) Also to @Riccardo iDex : would you like me to add to the WikiPost your findings on the software you’ve tested? I can do that here, and in the future, you can edit the WikiPost to add your test findings.

3) To both @Riccardo iDex and @ChrisCharman , to be more precise about what hardware-accelerated CoreImage and QuartzExtreme support let you do, it is true that screen savers, Chess, and a lot of gaming software will not work properly, or at all. Other UI components, like Widgets (which I’ve never tested since I‘ve always disabled Dashboard and Widgets ever since Apple came up with them), also probably won’t work. I can verify that Exposé works without hwaccel-CI and QE support. As for QuickLook functionality, however, this can be made to work (at least, as tested with 10A96) without necessitating the use of hardware acceleration.

As with all of these testing/development builds, they won’t be able to do all the things you’ve read about in this thread without doing a lot of root/admin-level work underneath the bonnet.

Eventually (possibly sooner than later, at least as it relates to 10A96), a version of the build might make its way into some kind of an installer to post for other folks somewhere. Given @ChrisCharman ’s work on painstakingly compiling frameworks for 10A190 (I cannot imagine how hard that is to do, especially in the beta-level Xcode 3.2 build environment!), such an installer could be delayed a little once Chris makes some of those re-compiled frameworks available for community testing. I’d like to try those with 10A96 and see whether any actually of them improve system stability. If somehow I could create a working compiling environment for compiling 10.6.0 frameworks for 10A96, I’d already be doing this myself.

In my latest bout of, “Why are you doing this, B S M,” I present a slow and fairly janky Virtual PC 7, running a fresh build of XP SP3, on Build 10A96.

Because why not.

As you can see, there’s a VPC plug-in module which goes into hanging right after I open a .vp7 file, but I managed to (barely) reach DuckDuckGo after downloading the last 32-bit XP version Firefox (45) I could get installed onto it.

The last time I used VPC for anything was back in 2005, for a job I had then. Whatever optimization/troubleshooting skills I had from that time are long, long gone. I use a Windows box less than once every couple of years, at best.

Pleaes calp solwly.

View attachment 1785552

And now, the latest in, “OK that VPC thing in SL-PPC was amusing, but a pointless party trick, B S M. Can you, like, get Snow Leopard for PowerPC to do anything modern? (and nope, web browsers don’t count)”

May I present to you… MinDiscCD, the Discord client for PowerPC, legit running on SL-PPC:

1622878528015.png

Handy little update:

When you open Table 1 in the WikiPost, you should find that I cleaned up the first column (featuring the links to the various Developer Preview builds of Snow Leopard). Part of this also includes adding a couple of new mirror sources where one can acquire Build 10A96 (Server) without the need to rely on mega’s janky and capped downloading protocol. Specifically, builds 10A96 (Server), 10A190 (client), and 10A222 (client) are all found, for the first time, together on Macintoshgarden, and Build 10A96 (Server) is also now available (including, as a torrent) on Archive-dot-org. The latter should help folks who have slower download speeds where they happen to be located. :)

What I have not been able to acquire, past or present, is that Build 10A96 (client) image on mega (mega halts me at a 5GB download cap, and I am not going to throw money at them for solely this). I’m not sure whether anyone else has been able to download that version in its entirety or not. I would like to get a mirror of it on both the garden and on archive. (If anyone wants to upload it somewhere and message me, I can grab and then throw it onto those two mirrored repositories. I’d be happy to do that.)

Otherwise, if you only check the WikiPost every so often, have a fresh look sometime to see some additions made to Appendix A, the list of known software which does and doesn’t work with at least Build 10A96 (and possibly 10A190).

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
Handy little update:

When you open Table 1 in the WikiPost, you should find that I cleaned up the first column (featuring the links to the various Developer Preview builds of Snow Leopard). Part of this also includes adding a couple of new mirror sources where one can acquire Build 10A96 (Server) without the need to rely on mega’s janky and capped downloading protocol. Specifically, builds 10A96 (Server), 10A190 (client), and 10A222 (client) are all found, for the first time, together on Macintoshgarden, and Build 10A96 (Server) is also now available (including, as a torrent) on Archive-dot-org. The latter should help folks who have slower download speeds where they happen to be located. :)

What I have not been able to acquire, past or present, is that Build 10A96 (client) image on mega (mega halts me at a 5GB download cap, and I am not going to throw money at them for solely this). I’m not sure whether anyone else has been able to download that version in its entirety or not. I would like to get a mirror of it on both the garden and on archive. (If anyone wants to upload it somewhere and message me, I can grab and then throw it onto those two mirrored repositories. I’d be happy to do that.)

Otherwise, if you only check the WikiPost every so often, have a fresh look sometime to see some additions made to Appendix A, the list of known software which does and doesn’t work with at least Build 10A96 (and possibly 10A190).
Getting 10A96 client now from Mega ;)

Cheers :)

Hugh

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
Handy little update:

Getting 10A96 client now from Mega ;)

Hugh

Awesome. :D Ping me with a DM when you’re ready.
I was just gonna say I can put 10A96 client up as well.

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
If you already have it that would be useful, because I think my DropBox is on a 5GB limit ;)

Hugh
I can’t remember if I have it downloaded or not already; either way I can get it. But I have a 400GB MEGA that I used for the Leopard betas I can stick it on.
I’m currently at work though lol I’ll have to wait til I get home in the morning.

Reactions: Hughmac

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
No good I'm afraid, Mega stopped at 5GB with a warning to upgrade :(

How I managed to get 10A190 in the past I don't know.

Hugh

No good I'm afraid, Mega stopped at 5GB with a warning to upgrade :(

How I managed to get 10A190 in the past I don't know.

Hugh

Yeah, I think Mega introduced that 5GB download cap sometime within the past year, because I was successful in late April 2020 with downloading the 10A96 Server build from there. Because someone uploaded the 10A96 client build sometime later, I didn’t think to archive a local copy of that version until fairly recently.

Reactions: Hughmac

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
Yeah, I think Mega introduced that 5GB download cap sometime within the past year, because I was successful in late April 2020 with downloading the 10A96 Server build from there. Because someone uploaded the 10A96 client build sometime later, I didn’t think to archive a local copy of that version until fairly recently.

I've just found it in my Mega Cloud, so I already had it. No, that was the server version ;)

Hugh
Wait so, MEGA only lets people without accounts or a free account only download 5GB of whatever? I've been able to download a lot more than that when I was using a free account, but every time it told me I reached the cap I just switched the VPN server and it let me continue lol. I never actually checked how much it downloaded prior to the warning though.

I started uploading the client version of 10A96 before I left today. I was going to post it on the garden and here, but on MEGA like I did the Leopard betas. I have been unsuccessful numerous times uploading anything large directly to the macintosh garden. It always times out after a few hours. That's literally the only reason I got a pro mega account. If people are unable to download more than 5GB off my MEGA cloud I'll have to find another service I guess.

Wait so, MEGA only lets people without accounts or a free account only download 5GB of whatever? I've been able to download a lot more than that when I was using a free account, but every time it told me I reached the cap I just switched the VPN server and it let me continue lol. I never actually checked how much it downloaded prior to the warning though.

I started uploading the client version of 10A96 before I left today. I was going to post it on the garden and here, but on MEGA like I did the Leopard betas. I have been unsuccessful numerous times uploading anything large directly to the macintosh garden. It always times out after a few hours. That's literally the only reason I got a pro mega account. If people are unable to download more than 5GB off my MEGA cloud I'll have to find another service I guess.

The 5GB download cap appears to be semi-recent — as in, sometime since last July (the last time I downloaded something larger than 5gb).

If you have the 10A96 client build, could you post it briefly (i.e., less than a week) to a google drive link? I’ll grab it, archive it, and make it available on the garden.

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
The 5GB download cap appears to be semi-recent — as in, sometime since last July (the last time I downloaded something larger than 5gb).

If you have the 10A96 client build, could you post it briefly (i.e., less than a week) to a google drive link? I’ll grab it, archive it, and make it available on the garden.
Yeah I can probably do that. I could also try splitting files in archives and putting them on the garden. Idk why I can’t upload stuff to there. I’ve literally tried like a hundred times it never works. My download speed is fast but my upload is absolutely atrocious at 20mbps. So that could be part of it.
Hell I could probably use my cellphone to do it half the time it gets over double my upload speed.

Yeah I can probably do that. I could also try splitting files in archives and putting them on the garden. Idk why I can’t upload stuff to there. I’ve literally tried like a hundred times it never works. My download speed is fast but my upload is absolutely atrocious at 20mbps. So that could be part of it.
Hell I could probably use my cellphone to do it half the time it gets over double my upload speed.

I mean, you could add it to this page (as download #1 or #2), now that I’ve set that up. Either way, once it’s up, I plan to throw a copy onto archive-dot-org.

MacPro2006VBox

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2014
How did you guys get 10a96 installed? I am trying to use the Client version and well I’m struggling to get my G5 to boot from USB.

How did you guys get 10a96 installed? I am trying to use the Client version and well I’m struggling to get my G5 to boot from USB.

Would you be OK with walking us through the steps you took to prepare and install the 10A96 build before trying to boot from USB? I’m curious to see the workflow here.

(Also, while I’m pretty sure it’s possible to boot Snow Leopard from USB on the PCIe G5s and mid/late 2005 G4 Macs, I’ve never done it personally.)

ChrisCharman

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2020
Bournemouth, UK
Handy little update:

I'm currently uploading all of the builds that i have to your Macintoshgarden page. It's very slow to upload and the last attempt to upload 10A354 failed due to the page being updated simultaneously by another user. Hopefully by the end of today all known builds will be available on that page as well as another i have set-up on macintoshrepository. I've uploaded the seed notes as a pdf as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: fra9000

ChrisCharman

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2020
Bournemouth, UK
Even on my fibre connection it takes a very long time to upload to the garden and isn't always successful. We now have all builds up to 10A261 available there with 10A354 currently uploading.

Reactions: fra9000
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.