Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
I was wondering if anyone could help me with these questions about Mountain Lion (I currently have Snow Leopard and purposely skipped Lion. However, Mountain Lion looks more polished, so I will upgrade).

• What exactly is Back To My Mac in iCloud? Does that mean I can access all my Mac’s files/Screen-share from someone else’s Mac?
  • Does Mountain Lion dump memory for open apps if they are not the active window? (If I have Safari open in the background, and I do a bunch of RAM intensive things in FCPX, if I go to Safari will it have to reload the pages?)
  • If you turn off application restoring (via Terminal), does OS X still restore the windows after a restart (via the checkbox)?
  • Does Safari have a home button?

I would appreciate anyone helps. Thanks in advance!

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
I was wondering if anyone could help me with these questions about Mountain Lion (I currently have Snow Leopard and purposely skipped Lion. However, Mountain Lion looks more polished, so I will upgrade).

I don't actually have Mountain Lion running, but I can answer most of these.

[*]What exactly is Back To My Mac in iCloud? Does that mean I can access all my Mac’s files/Screen-share from someone else’s Mac?

Not from someone else's Mac, but from your own. It's for people with multiple Macs (like a desktop at home and a laptop for the road) so they can access their files no matter where they are, on their Macs.

[*]Does Mountain Lion dump memory for open apps if they are not the active window? (If I have Safari open in the background, and I do a bunch of RAM intensive things in FCPX, if I go to Safari will it have to reload the pages?)

No. The contents of RAM are only dumped for a particular application when it's been quit and another application needs it. Even if you quit an application, the contents of RAM aren't emptied until another application requests that space.
[*]Does Safari have a home button?
Yes, but not visible by default. Use View -> Customize Toolbar to add it to the Toolbar.

jW

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
I don't actually have Mountain Lion running, but I can answer most of these.

Not from someone else's Mac, but from your own. It's for people with multiple Macs (like a desktop at home and a laptop for the road) so they can access their files no matter where they are, on their Macs.

No. The contents of RAM are only dumped for a particular application when it's been quit and another application needs it. Even if you quit an application, the contents of RAM aren't emptied until another application requests that space.

Yes, but not visible by default. Use View -> Customize Toolbar to add it to the Toolbar.

jW

Thank you very much, sir!

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
  • Does Mountain Lion dump memory for open apps if they are not the active window? (If I have Safari open in the background, and I do a bunch of RAM intensive things in FCPX, if I go to Safari will it have to reload the pages?)
To amplify on the previous answer, what will happen is if something needs the memory, OS X will start writing to the swapfile on disk. At most when you switch back to an application, it might have to read it's memory back off of disk.

But the application will pick up from where it left off. There is no need for the application to reload anything.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
To amplify on the previous answer, what will happen is if something needs the memory, OS X will start writing to the swapfile on disk. At most when you switch back to an application, it might have to read it's memory back off of disk.

But the application will pick up from where it left off. There is no need for the application to reload anything.

Thanks for that. I was just curious as I thought I read people with Lion who say Safari constantly reloads tabs (which is a different issue) and I thought it extended to a RAM issue with other open apps.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Thanks for that. I was just curious as I thought I read people with Lion who say Safari constantly reloads tabs (which is a different issue) and I thought it extended to a RAM issue with other open apps.
Safari reloading tabs is a Safari specific thing and has to do with some setting in Safari. It may be a hidden setting. It doesn't constantly reload for me.

I know I disabled Top Sites and a couple of other silly features a while back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.