Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
USA
Thank you. Don't blame the company that failed. Blame the user for selecting a product that does not work as advertised.

Apple product failing to meet my needs ≠ Apple product not working as it should/advertised
Let me ask you a rhetorical question. Would this be happening if you hadn't bought the iPad?

I don't understand why so many people absolutely refuse to learn from a mistake and move on. You bought a product. That product doesn't work. Don't buy the product next time. Seems simple to me.

When a weakness is identified in your life, that weakness should be removed so that it no longer controls you.

Dovydas

Suspended
Nov 2, 2019
Let me ask you a rhetorical question. Would this be happening if you hadn't bought the iPad?

I don't understand why so many people absolutely refuse to learn from a mistake and move on. You bought a product. That product doesn't work. Don't buy the product next time. Seems simple to me.
Well your view is very limited then. If anyone would use your logic they would end up amish, because hardware and software will have issues, but that does not mean that you can't ask to fix them or compain when you find those issues.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
You're right, it should work.. I'm not discounting that. But, when it doesn't work.. then it's time to find something that does work. So, what does work? What can you use in place of the expensive iPad that you chose to buy? I wonder if it would be to your advantage to change your practices such that you don't need to spend a lot of money on an iPad in the future? I'm just trying to reason out a way would alleviate this suffering the next time an Apple product fails to meet your needs. If you can't do your job without an iPad, then I would think it's time to find a new job so this sort of thing never happens again.

That is a remarkably condescending response. You are blaming the user, not the company that designed and marketed the hardware and OS. The funniest thing about this post is that you've taken all the reports of bugs and failures here and rolled them up under the heading "don't buy Apple."

Reactions: jpn and 1144557

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
USA
Well your view is very limited then. If anyone would use your logic they would end up amish, because hardware and software will have issues, but that does not mean that you can't ask to fix them or compain when you find those issues.
Ask for a fix? Yes, I am all in favor of that. How else will a fix be obtained if it isn't requested?

Complain? That does nothing but waste resources. A fix can be requested without complaining.

Now, do you really want the problem fixed? Or, is the issue that you want others to be made aware of your injury and you're seeking like-minded people as a support group so you can all feel good about blaming Apple? It's an honest question and hopefully it will encourage you to think.

Last edited:

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Well that's your problem. It is not working as designed and has to be fixed, if it is not working as intended and isn't being fixed then why is it even there to begin with.
I could turn it off, but I like it on. At any rate I don’t use to say how many read/unread emails I have. YMMV.
Some bugs are intermittent or occur in specific conditions. If you haven't experienced any issues does not mean there aren't any. This is a logical fallacy.
The corollary logical fallacy is, if someone’s mail app exhibits a bug, doesn’t mean all other mail apps will exhibit the same bug.

Dovydas

Suspended
Nov 2, 2019
Ask for a fix? Yes, I am all in favor of that. How else will a fix be obtained if it isn't requested?

Complain? That does nothing but waste resources.

A fix can be requested without complaining.
You submit a bug report which is your formal COMPLAINT that something is not working as advertised. Submitting a bug report as we all know does not guarantee your bug being fixed. Then you post your experience on social media and COMPLAIN publicly, given that there are enough people having this issue and/or you are a big enough fish in social circles your chances of bug being fixed improve.

This is a logical fallacy again. If no one complains then there is no problem, if there is no problem then you don't haver to do anything.
[automerge]1573480231[/automerge]
I could turn it off, but I like it on. At any rate I don’t use to say how many read/unread emails I have. YMMV.

The corollary logical fallacy is, if someone’s mail app exhibits a bug, doesn’t mean all other mail apps will exhibit the same bug.
All other mail apps don't have to exhibit the same bug for a bug to be real and affect many users. This is not fallacy, it's a description of an intermittent bug.

Last edited:
Reactions: newellj

Cancelled
Jun 30, 2017

When a weakness is identified in your life, that weakness should be removed so that it no longer controls you.

The product was working with iOS12. Now it isn't. My email was working quite reliably on iOS12. iOS13 is a clusterf*ck in very many ways. And not possible to go back.

So if you buy a car that doesn't work, you won't complain, but just not buy one the next time? Seems you have a lot of money and can afford such luxury. Good for you. I cannot.

Mkraft3003

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2019
This is my badge, don’t know or care if it’s working. Not to say, it shouldn’t work right. But as I said, the app appears to be working.
It is working for YOU. When a discussion is started about certain problems it doesn't do any good to come on and post that you don’t have those problems. I am sure there are hundreds of thousands of people that aren’t having problems, that doesn’t mean that everyone else is wrong. When they issue a recall for a car they do it based on known problems that exist for a limited amount of people. If they issued a recall for a car you were driving do you go to the dealer and say “my car works fine”? Again there are a ton of exchange users that are having mail problems with iOS13. I think we need to focus on those problems and not “it works fine for me”.
[automerge]1573481458[/automerge]
The product was working with iOS12. Now it isn't. My email was working quite reliably on iOS12. iOS13 is a clusterf*ck in very many ways. And not possible to go back.

So if you buy a car that doesn't work, you won't complain, but just not buy one the next time? Seems you have a lot of money and can afford such luxury. Good for you. I cannot.
Agreed. Mail has worked perfectly in every iOS up to this point. Ios13 has completely messed up that app and made it unusable for me.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Mail is working fine for me. No issues at all.
6 IMAP accounts set up.

Had an issue whereby emails were not searchable, but the last update seems to have fixed that too now.....

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2018
Thank you. Don't blame the company that failed. Blame the user for selecting a product that does not work as advertised.

Apple product failing to meet my needs ≠ Apple product not working as it should/advertised

LOL did someone just SERIOUSLY suggest you should just nonchalantly change careers or how you work because the iPad you paid for doesnt work for your job because Apple wont fix simple software bugs? Blaming you for trying to use a professional product for work? How DARE you!

Just WOW. Wow wow wow is all I can say. ?? Sunk to a truly new low here of not only MR but humanity.

Any viewpoints after that from that user hold no weight to me to bother wasting an iota of time reading or seeing on this forum and are now hidden from my view

Last edited:

Nem

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2008
I've had issues with Mail from the 13 betas and now on the released 13.2.2, not tried the 13.3 beta to see if it't any better yet.

The problem for me is that I get a banner, sound and app badge to say I've received a new email, but on opening the Mail app there is no new email showing. I have to either wait 10-20 for it to finally appear or pull down to respring the list to bring it down. It's like the background app refresh just isn't working. This is on the "All Inboxes" view of which I have iCloud, Gmail, Exchange and a couple of IMAP addresses on my device.

One thing I did notice was that in the background app refresh screen in settings Mail isn't actually listed currently, not sure if it was before if anyone knows if it should be there or not, or someone on iOS 12 can have a look?

Biggest issue i have currently however is the fact I upgraded my financee's phone to 13 a couple of weeks ago and she not stopped moaning about the mail issue since, so it's not just me!

ablatt

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2006
I am searching for like-minded individuals who are having the same IOS mail problems so we can all complain about it and console each other.

So?

thewhitehart

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2005
The town without George Bailey
The problem for me is that I get a banner, sound and app badge to say I've received a new email, but on opening the Mail app there is no new email showing. I have to either wait 10-20 for it to finally appear or pull down to respring the list to bring it down. It's like the background app refresh just isn't working.

I’m experiencing this too. I’m using only one IMAP account that‘s push enabled.

Some say they have no Mail problems with a clean install. I did a clean install, but I restored from an iCloud backup. Can anyone confirm that the bug doesn’t exist when setting up a device entirely as new, i.e., without restoring from a backup?

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I’m experiencing this too. I’m using only one IMAP account that‘s push enabled.

Some say they have no Mail problems with a clean install. I did a clean install, but I restored from an iCloud backup. Can anyone confirm that the bug doesn’t exist when setting up a device entirely as new, i.e., without restoring from a backup?

Haven't don't that with 13.2.x, but did with 13.1 or possibly 13.1.1, don't remember which - it did not help at all. I've tried everything...the craziest IMHO was deleting the native Mail app, which really messed up iOS. I had to reinstall iOS (again) to fix that...

Reactions: thewhitehart

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
And by the way, the condescending put-downs don't recognize the fact that many other core functions of 13 are still badly broken for many users: Notes, Home, CarPlay, Reminders, to name the easy ones. Mail is particularly aggravating, but native apps and core functionality is broken across the whole spectrum for many users.

Reactions: thewhitehart

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
What I don't understand, about this, is I haven't seen any major change in the mail app which would cause changes, which would cause problems such as this. If they completely redesigned app - maybe but what other than not working has really changed.

Didn't anyone see this in Beta testing and report it? I don't remember reading about this type of not working in the Beta

These get reported all the time. We have seen a fix in one beta to have it reappear in another. Then add in it is not 100%. pita is a great term for this from all sides. ;)
[automerge]1573494070[/automerge]
They could completely redesign various backend pieces of it that wouldn’t necessarily change anything visually.

However would not there be some indication of this in the Release Notes?
[automerge]1573494514[/automerge]
- I haven't noticed issues with deleted emails.
- I don't use email notifications due to volume.
- Attachments download.
- I recently turned off push, so I don't know if push works or not. However, manual refresh works fine.
- No badge count on app.

As with many others e-mail is an important part of day to day. I can't say I have had issues getting, responding or forward email using the email app on ios 13.

That is the challenge and adds to the pain.
As you can tell from my list, these "issues" are not 100% neither in frequency nor time.
There are a lot of ways to use and setup Mail. That all features do not work correctly is a summary that adds to the "cannot be depended upon".
If it works good enough for you, hats off. ;)

Last edited:

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
For one, the person I quoted seems to highlight the difference between working and working perfectly, which is what I was trying to emphasize.

There is a lot of grey area between a mail app with no bugs, vs a mail app that loses incoming emails and outgoing emails never make it "out the door". Bugs with badges, etc, for sure are bugs, but in my view that doesn't stop the user from reading and replying to emails.

But you can spin this any which way. And maybe a percentage of users who use the mail app the way I do and merrily go on with their email lives.

That is what we call spin - to twist a report or story to one's advantage; to interpret an event to make it seem favorable or beneficial to oneself.

Like I said, if it works fine for you, hats off. For those of us for whom it doesn't ...

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
And by the way, the condescending put-downs don't recognize the fact that many other core functions of 13 are still badly broken for many users: Notes, Home, CarPlay, Reminders, to name the easy ones. Mail is particularly aggravating, but native apps and core functionality is broken across the whole spectrum for many users.
The way it looks iOS 13 is the new iOS 11. Looking at Apple’s disastrous record with iOS 9 and 11, iOS 14 will fix iOS 13.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Same here, btw. Corporate email requirements allow =only= the native Mail app. Outlook is not an option (which continues to surprise me, but no one asked me to make IT policy).

As an aside, the amount of denial in this thread is mind-boggling.

Have to agree. At work, Android Outlook is an option but Outlook isn't an option on iOS.
[automerge]1573495224[/automerge]
This is my badge, don’t know or care if it’s working. Not to say, it shouldn’t work right. But as I said, the app appears to be working.

Damn!!! That looks like my ex's Mail app - in the thousands o_O

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Here is a great example of an inconsistent bug. This bug is only happening on my IPP 12.9 G2 currently on 13.3 PB It does not exhibit on my XS Max on 13.3 nor my IPP 11 on 13.2.2. I have the same account in Mail (plus a few others) on my XS Max and it does not exhibit this issue. Inconsistency ?
Look at the middle column, the dates. This is my advertisement email gmail account. I use it for signups and other activities. All the emails, and there are a bunch, from 10/31 - 11/2 are missing. Some 11/3 are also missing. If I log in via gmail, there are 13 missing inbox emails from the snapshot below.
Email Listing.jpg

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2018
Have to agree. At work, Android Outlook is an option but Outlook isn't an option on iOS.

Which makes utter zero sense itself. The app is not inherently different on the different OSes. I get why its blocked generally sometimes, because you cannot manage devices through it and there are password concerns being on the servers potentially. But it's not like the Android version doe it differently.

My dad is a program head in a fed government agency and the government IT policies he tells me about are beyond laughable too; some archaic too. The people who make the IT decisions know little to nothing about the process either or real world use of tech.

Last edited:

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
The way it looks iOS 13 is the new iOS 11. Looking at Apple’s disastrous record with iOS 9 and 11, iOS 14 will fix iOS 13.

Yup - apparently so. Tik/tok?
[automerge]1573500243[/automerge]
Which makes utter zero sense itself. The app is not inherently different on the different OSes. I get why its blocked generally sometimes, because you cannot manage devices through it and there are password concerns being on the servers potentially. But it's not like the Android version doe it differently.

My dad is a program head in a fed government agency and the government IT policies he tells me about are beyond laughable too; some archaic too. The people who make the IT decisions know little to nothing about the process either or real world use of tech.

Sigh, sadly true - but look at the people who design most of our roads. ;)
[automerge]1573500277[/automerge]

Ditto here, and see the immediately prior response!

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
That is what we call spin - to twist a report or story to one's advantage; to interpret an event to make it seem favorable or beneficial to oneself.

Like I said, if it works fine for you, hats off. For those of us for whom it doesn't ...
And hence I said there is a difference between not working perfectly and not working.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
And hence I said there is a difference between not working perfectly and not working.
Realistically speaking there's also a range in between those as well, where some things might affect someone much more than someone else, depending on their particular needs and usage.

Reactions: I7guy and dk001
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.