Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following a two month absence, Apple has restarted sales of Bose products in its online store. The reinstated products include the Bose QuietComfort 20i, the Bose SoundLink Mini Bluetooth Speaker, and the Bose SoundLink Bluetooth Speaker III, but notably do not include the company's over-the-ear headphone offerings. The move follows a report yesterday which noted that some French Apple retail stores had begun receiving shipments of Bose products with an intent to put the products back on shelves, and it is now likely those products will return to stores shortly.

bose_products_apple_store-800x264.jpg
It still is not clear as to why Apple removed Bose products from its stores, but the decision may have had something to do with Apple's acquisition of Beats Electronics and a patent infringement lawsuit filed by Bose in July against Beats. That lawsuit was settled between Beats and Bose before Bose products disappeared from Apple's store shelves, which may indicate that the removal and reinstatement was a part of the discussions between the two companies.

Bose also signed a deal with the NFL to ban NFL players from wearing Beats headphones during games, which garnered comments from Beats co-founder Jimmy Iovine who stated that it made Beats "look like the underdog." Bose products were not the only products removed by Apple in recent months, as the company also pulled Fitbit products from its retail and online stores. Unlike Bose products however, Fitbit products have yet to return to the Apple Store.

Article Link: Some Bose Products Return to Apple Online Store After Two Month Absence

selfsilent

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2014
In before "these are for old people" and "Bose are over priced rubbish".

I have the Bose companion speakers for my iMac and they are excellent.

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009
Bingo, could not agree more... Bose is noting but overpriced, mediocre ( at best ) product.

and Beats is mediocre overpriced ugly looking hipster overpriced electronic. It least with Bose even though expensive it has great sound quality and design.

Col4bin

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2011
El Segundo
and Beats is mediocre overpriced ugly looking hipster overpriced electronic. It least with Bose even though expensive it has great sound quality and design.

Design yes, but sound quality not as much as it's hyped to have. I mean I guess it's good if you love all mids and no deep bass. (And also way overpriced.)

rctlr

macrumors 6502a
May 9, 2012
High end bland accessories (Bose), beside not so High end bland accessories (Beats).

At least they do B&O and Sennheiser, better in my opinion.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Its good for the consumer to have some choices and competition. It gives me a chance to compare what I want

ricci

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2012
NYC
As a music producer, I'll i have to say about both companies is that absolutely no Bose headsets are found In any studio! Both comp are in the personal category! Bose for their noise canceling and Beats for their personal listening devices!

deviant

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2007

That's not the point. You could've bought other excellent speakers for half the price. That's the point :D
Or for that price, you could've bought MUCH BETTER speaker :D

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
A better headline would have been:

Apple's Abandons Effort to Get People to Buy Other Sound Equipment.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I'v egot a pair of Bose headphones, I think they are the MEi2 or something like that.

Not bad, on the same level as Beats (Power Beats ver1) . . . . . which isn't saying too too much.

Both are decent, but I've come to the conclusion that earbuds just don't have the audio quality and comfort of a decent pair of cans.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Those are hideous. I don't want light up ear muffs on my head.

I had a set of bose speakers for my Mac and found them to be fine. I'm not a snobbish audiophile by any means. I look at it similar to say beer. Some people just want to drink crap and I don't want to waste my liver on crap so I drink good beer. To each their own, right? Similar to people who like Bose and those who would rather spend their money on higher quality equipment.

As for Apple, I'm not even sure why they're bothering to put them back in their store. Choice is good though, that's for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I have the Soundlink mini and it's a fantastic speaker for the price/size. :)

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
Charleston, SC and Everett, WA
The funny thing is I always associated Bose and Apple.

Ever since 1986, when, in college, one of my friends' roommates had a Mac with Bose speakers attached to it, and then I thought, "Hey, neither one of them negotiates on price. Hmmm..."

a0me

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
Tokyo, Japan

People who say that of Bose aren't wrong either, but they're hyperbolizing. Bose speakers are not known for their sonic accuracy, but they're really good to watch action movies and listen to pop music. They sound like crap to audiophiles but for the rest of us they sound all right. The thing is, even then, there's a lot of better choices in the price range of Bose.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.