Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Sonnet Technologies this week launched a Thunderbolt 3 to dual HDMI 2.0 adapter compatible with Mac and Windows PCs.

sonnet-thunderbolt-3-to-dual-hdmi-2-0-800x447.jpg

The plug-and-play adapter enables the connection of up to two 4K Ultra HD displays with HDMI 2.0 to a single Thunderbolt 3 port at 60Hz on computers such as the 2016 and later MacBook Pro.

The adapter is powered by the computer it is plugged into and also supports monitors with lower resolutions such as 1920x1080 and 1920x1200.

The adapter is available now for a suggested price of around $90 in the United States on Sonnet's website and Amazon. By comparison, StarTech and Plugable currently sell equivalent adapters on Amazon for around $110 and $90 respectively.

Article Link: Sonnet Launches Thunderbolt 3 to Dual HDMI 2.0 Adapter Compatible With Mac

Supacon

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2011
Canada
Very interesting. I’ve been looking for a product that can do this sort of thing for a while, but I’d like a DisplayPort version. It seems that none of the docks on the market support dual DisplayPort connections via one Thunderbolt plug.

Last edited:
Reactions: LotusLord

wesley96

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2009
From the description, it appears that these sort of adapters use the actual Thunderbolt 3 connection to transfer video signal instead of utilizing the DisplayPort lane provided as the USB-C alternate mode. The latter is cheaper and there are sub-$20 cables that have DisplayPort-to-HDMI conversion chip in it for HDMI connection, but I think it generally results in one display per port.

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
Not a fan of HDMI, but I do understand why they made this. Thankfully they have a DP version of this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.