Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Sonos today announced the upcoming debut of new color options for the Sonos One speaker, launching in addition to the device's current colors of white and black. Created in collaboration with Danish design brand HAY, the Sonos One will be available in red, yellow, and green in September 2018.

Although not mentioned specifically, the announcement of the new speaker colors also includes an image with a light pink speaker, so there could be additional colors coming as well. The update is focused on new colors and does not appear to include any changes or overhauls to other features of the Sonos One, but the price will be increased to $229/£229/EUR259, from $199/£199/EUR229 (via The Verge).

sonos-one-new-colors.jpg

Inspired by the Danish company's 2018 color palette, the HAY Sonos One Limited Edition Collection will provide customers with a bit more personalization options for Sonos's latest speaker, according to representatives from both companies.
"Our speakers aren't designed to claim attention but to blend naturally into their surroundings," says Sonos VP of Design Tad Toulis. Even with the addition of colors to the typically black-and-white Sonos product line, the new HAY Sonos One still manages to maintain that aesthetic subtlety.

"These speakers deserve to be treated like furniture: strong, independent objects that fit different needs and spaces," says Hay. By leveraging HAY's singular approach to color, this limited edition collection fully realizes the Sonos philosophy of sonic architecture and harmonizes both brands' ability to create products that can transform a home.
Sonos announced and launched the Sonos One in October 2017, placing the speaker as an entrant in the ever-growing smart speaker market. In January, on the same day that pre-orders for Apple's HomePod went live, Sonos launched a bundle that included two Sonos One speakers together for $349/£349, saving customers $50 and directly matching HomePod's $350 price tag.

sonos-one-yellow.jpg

Sonos says that today's announcement is just the start of its collaboration with HAY, so users can likely expect more colorful Sonos devices down the line. The HAY Sonos One will debut this September on Sonos.com and in Sonos flagship stores in New York City, London, and Berlin, and at the HAY House in Copenhagen.

Article Link: Sonos Announces New Colors for Sonos One Speaker Coming This September

Dayv

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2009
Five month lead time for new colors of speaker housings? And most of the colors are bland as heck? I look forward to seeing them excoriated as a dying brand.

Kognito

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2011
Ugh, can they please just focus on bringing all of Alexa's features to the One first? There's very little support for any skills that require audio be routed through the One's speaker. Sleep Sounds? Only if you enjoy the sound of silence. Alexa routines with voice feedback? Nope.

I know this was a limitation in the Alexa SDK for a while, but I don't think this is true now.

People complain about Siri on the HomePod, but Alexa on the One feels a lot like it was all kind of hacked together. It's like two separate systems rather than one integrated system. Plus Alexa isn't all that reliable in controlling my Hue setup. There's a noticeable delay after I issue a command whilst HomeKit seems to control Hue devices pretty reliably and with much lower latency

Hoping that Google Assistant is a little better.

Last edited:

FilipeTeixeira

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2013
But that airplay 2 hummmmmmm. It might come in 20 years.
I also still can't understand how is it that sonos obliges people to use that awful app. The only reason why I didn't buy one yet was because the entire process of playing music is just too complicated. It should be as easy as opening your iTunes and puff, there you have some music playing.

OriginalAppleGuy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2016
Virginia
The app isn't that bad. My wife can use it just fine. Which is a testament given her issues with using technology (one of the reasons she married me I fear). In fact, one of the cool features I've found with Sonos is if you stop playing one day and want to start up on the same thing you were listening to, just hit the play button on the speaker and BAM, starts back up immediately where you left off. Very cool!

FilipeTeixeira

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2013
The app isn't that bad. My wife can use it just fine. Which is a testament given her issues with using technology (one of the reasons she married me I fear). In fact, one of the cool features I've found with Sonos is if you stop playing one day and want to start up on the same thing you were listening to, just hit the play button on the speaker and BAM, starts back up immediately where you left off. Very cool!

Yeah but if you have multiple devices like I do, then you need to have an app in every single device. Which sucks. Not to mention that if you have different OS then it's even worse. It's just not fluid and intuitive.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
But that airplay 2 hummmmmmm. It might come in 20 years.
I also still can't understand how is it that sonos obliges people to use that awful app. The only reason why I didn't buy one yet was because the entire process of playing music is just too complicated. It should be as easy as opening your iTunes and puff, there you have some music playing.

Because iTunes isn't the only place where people play music from? The Sonos app works perfectly on all the devices I use it from. It's intuitive and really isn't rocket science to use. Let's not make up reasons to slate other products just because they aren't Apple.

deanthedev

Suspended
Sep 29, 2017
Vancouver
Sonos has been here long before the HomePod and will be here long after it. Also, Macrumors is the last place anybody should be talking about another company’s lead time.

They’ve been in the multi-room audio space for about 15 years longer than Apple (and counting).

Sounds similar to what cell phone companies said about the original iPhone.

If we believe the doom & gloom sales predictions from analysts on the HomePod, then in its first year it will have generated 50% of the sales of ALL of Sonos over the same year.

You better believe Sonos is concerned. People don’t cross-shop the HomePod with Google Home or Echo. They’d cross-shop HomePod with Sonos.

Reactions: SamRyouji

robinp

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2008
Sonos: we have four new colors!
Criticism (comments above): not innovative, not interesting

Apple: red iPhone!
Everyone: OMG

Also, I want a red HomePod.

To be fair, most of the criticisms are about announcing new colours almost half a year in advance. When Apple announced the red iPhones, you could buy them immediately.

Reactions: thebeans

ShadowJade

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2014

Exactly! My wife, (keeps me around for the same reason), turns off our TV every night, starts her podcasts in the Sonos app and puts on a 20 minute sleep timer. If she can do that on her own...it is not too complicated. My 8 year old and 17 year old navigate the app every day. They play music from Apple Music, Pandora, Spotify, and XM. We have 10 Play:1s in the house and 2 playbars...it is ridiculously simple to group rooms or split them. In my eyes, anyone saying that the app is too difficult has spent 0 time trying to learn it. Hell, the podcast app on the iPhone is more difficult that this one.

To the guy saying it hasn't got a long history...9 years is an eternity in tech, and the market share grab will forever be in the hands of the first. Happily, Sonos does not feel like the first to market..the product is anything but 1/2 baked.

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2003
California
Ugh, can they please just focus on bringing all of Alexa's features to the One first? There's very little support for any skills that require audio be routed through the One's speaker. Sleep Sounds? Only if you enjoy the sound of silence. Alexa routines with voice feedback? Nope.

I know this was a limitation in the Alexa SDK for a while, but I don't think this is true now.

People complain about Siri on the HomePod, but Alexa on the One feels a lot like it was all kind of hacked together. It's like two separate systems rather than one integrated system. Plus Alexa isn't all that reliable in controlling my Hue setup. There's a noticeable delay after I issue a command whilst HomeKit seems to control Hue devices pretty reliably and with much lower latency

Hoping that Google Assistant is a little better.

Ditto your comments. It took me hours to get the "verification" email while trying to set up my new Sonos. I quickly discovered how poor the Alexa integration was - a number of songs that played perfectly on our Echo resulted in dead silence on the Sonos. Enough with the beta testing - I returned the speaker - it was delivered to their Memphis return center on March 27 and still waiting for my refund, even after phone calls to them. Totally unimpressed with this company.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Yeah but if you have multiple devices like I do, then you need to have an app in every single device. Which sucks. Not to mention that if you have different OS then it's even worse. It's just not fluid and intuitive.

What do you mean? I have multiple Sonos devices and they all use one app just fine. Plus with Spotify connect, you don't even have to use the Sonos app - just use the Spotify app. Which then also works many non-Sonos stereos, like many modern home theater receivers support Spotify connect.

Reactions: ajguckian
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.