Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

soundcloud0-250x188.jpg
SoundCloud has introduced a new lower priced subscription plan to entice users to sign up to its music streaming service, less than a year after its paid membership scheme was launched (via The Verge).

The new SoundCloud Go budget tier costs $4.99 per month, half the price of the previous low cost subscription option that rolled out last March. Membership gives users access to over 120 million tracks, no ads, and the ability to save music offline on mobile.

The original $9.99 plan remains as SoundCloud Go+, which includes access to a wider selection of 150 million songs and excludes previews from the library. According to the German company, the Go+ plan will also include additional product features to be announced later this year.

Press_plans-800x457.jpg

The new budget $4.99 plan means SoundCloud now undercuts Spotify, Apple Music, Tidal, and Google Play Music, all of whose options start at $9.99. SoundCloud will be hoping the new pricing tier turns more of its 175 million users into paying subscribers, although how many is unclear - the company has never released a figure for its paying user base.

SoundCloud Go and SoundCloud Go+ membership plans are available in the U.S., UK, Ireland, France, Australia, New Zealand, Canada and Germany, with some regional price differences.

Article Link: SoundCloud Launches Cheaper $4.99 Streaming Subscription Plan

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2008
Lots of choice now which is a good thing. Apple has a built-in advantage with the iTunes Store, Music app pre-installed and credit cards on file but I really wish they'd release a line of home speakers and make music listening more social. The main advantage of Spotify has been seeing what my friends are jamming to and discovering new music that way.

viachicago22

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2013
Lots of choice now which is a good thing. Apple has a built-in advantage with the iTunes Store, Music app pre-installed and credit cards on file but I really wish they'd release a line of home speakers and make music listening more social. The main advantage of Spotify has been seeing what my friends are jamming to and discovering new music that way.

I don't understand why Apple Music isn't more social. That's what I loved about Rdio

Reactions: IlluminatedSage

AdrianMK

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2016
What I do love about SoundClound and where it is truly unique is the Music Feed.

Instead of displaying time-based Recommendations like Spotify, it's way more indvidual by displaying a Facebook-Like Feed with Infinite Scroll, full with music recently shared or uploaded.

This would be a great addition to Apple Music and can be perfectly combined with some Social Features.

trainwrecka

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2007
Earth
When Soundcloud updated their app a few years ago, they really hindered growth of the platform. They gave their audience what they didn't want. It has never really been the same.

nt5672

macrumors 68040
Jun 30, 2007
Midwest USA
Where is the best place to discover new music? I would not mind paying, if I knew the money was going to the artists. But as it is I don't feel very comfortable enriching some marketing company using a poorly design app and pushing their own musical tastes on me (like you Apple).

DrumApple

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2009
I don't care if Elvis came back from the dead and released new music on Soundcloud exclusively, I still wouldn't pay to use it.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I been using the Amazon music app a little more frequently since the huge update. Still not up to par with Apple, Spotify, and Google when it comes to music selection, but it's slowly getting there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.